Start by marking “Dangerous Shift” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Shift
Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Dangerous Shift

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  10 reviews
HE IS MR. BY-THE-BOOK, WITH A SECRET...
Shapeshifters live among us but remain unknown to most people except for the highest echelons of law enforcement, the military, science, and medical fields—until now.

SHE IS A LOOSE CANNON WITH AN ATTITUDE...
When a fatal virus strikes Shapeshifters all over the West coast, including members of the Shapeshifter Task Force in San Laura,
Published July 31st 2012 by Jill James

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Shift

Maria
Reviewed on my blog: http://queenofthenightreviews.blogspo...

Dangerous Shift by Jill James is based on a unique and interesting premise; what if shapeshifters were real, had different dna and could shift into different genders without having to shift into an animal form. How would humanity deal with that in general and specifically when fear and anger turn into bigotry? With interesting characters, a touch of romance and enough suspense and action to keep the story moving, Ms. James provided a f
Donna
I thought this was a really great story. The author has created a world just like ours but that contains a breed of Shapeshifter. These are not you typical shifters. They do not turn into wolves, cats or other animals. Instead they commonly shift from a male to a female or otherwise alter their human looking appearance.

There is a crisis going on in their world though. Somehow shifters are being attacked by a virus. There is no rhyme or reason behind who get sick. But it does prove fatal to whoev
Shelley
Ms. James has created an interesting and original world where shifters are known to humans. Each shifter individual has the ability to shift into either male or female, although each shifter has a dominant sex or a preference. While humans and shifters rub along together, both sides of the fence are guilty of prejudices. I thought the world building and shifter aspect of the book was very well done and different from other shifter books I’ve read. It made for a fascinating read.

Lt. Sean Evans ha
Christi Snow
My Review:

This book takes a completely different take on the shapeshifter world and I liked it...after I grasped the intricacies of it. In Jill James shapeshifter world, the shapeshifters have complete control over their appearance. They can control whether they are male or female, can change their proportions, and can shift to look like other people. Each shapeshifter has a natural male and female form although one of those is always their dominant form...the one that they are most at ease in.
Jody
As a fan of the paranormal who has read many shapeshifter stories it's difficult to find an author who can put a unique spin on a well-used theme. Jill James is that author, who with her release Dangerous Shift, has put a new spin on the tried and true shapeshifter myth. Her shapeshifters can morph into the opposite sex with each sex having their own personalities. For the characters in this story who are cops, this kind of change can be quite useful and plays a vital role in bringing the villai ...more
Beverly
My thoughts:
Interesting and original.
Jill James has created a story based on a type of shifter I have not encountered before; female/male dominated shifters who can shift between their own female or male form but have lost the ability to shift into animal form.
Into this would be bright, California set story, the author has brought some of the worst of our "real-world" problems: racism, sexism, bias, bigotry, fear and hatred. But she hasn't forgotten to include a host of fantastic characters
Jane
If you enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris or the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong, then "Dangerous Shift" might be a good book for you. I liked how, just as in the Sookie Stackhouse books, James presented the "other" (shapeshifter in this instance, vampire in the Sookie books) also as a victim of human prejudice, not necessarily as an evil creature (though in the Sookie books it is of course more of a two-way street). This was an enjoyable read and a nice ch ...more
Stacy McKitrick
This book was okay. It was an interesting story and premise, but I don't like it when the couple dislike each other and hate it when it takes over 100 pages for them to bam - dig each other. But other readers eat that up, so it's only my opinion. However, the book did drag in spots, enough to get only 3 stars instead of 4.
Vintage Moon
I plan to read it and it looks interesting. The only thing I am not sure about is the cover, it has the same man and woman picture that is on Hungerstorm by Amber Kallyn. Hers was published before this one so I am not sure if they draw from the same bank of images or what.
Jane Silhouette
I'll write down my thoughts after I stop crying!POWERFUL! EMOTIONAL! A REMARKABLE NOVEL!THE CHARACTERS ARE MEMORABLE!
KelticKat
KelticKat marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Sidney
Sidney marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Sam Shivy
Sam Shivy marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Patricia Mccammon
Patricia Mccammon marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Iain
Iain added it
Apr 11, 2015
D Thomas
D Thomas marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Devana
Devana marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Ilani K.wise
Ilani K.wise marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Rhonda Jones
Rhonda Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Julianna
Julianna marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Doreen
Doreen added it
Dec 10, 2014
  • Only In Her Dreams (The Oneiroi, #1)
  • Lost in the Light
  • Consequence (Secrets of Eaton, #1)
  • Supernatural Freak (Supernatural Freak, #1)
  • The Lotus Files
  • The Aduramis Chronicles: Destiny of the Wulf
  • A Wolf's Song
  • The Sounding
  • Lady of the Drake
  • Red Leaves and the Living Token
  • The Golden Lynx (Legends of the Five Directions, #1)
  • Hearts of Fire (Deadglass, #0.5)
  • The Demon Side (The Demon Side, #1)
  • The Billionaire's New Assistant (The New Dominators, #1)
  • Darkest Caress (Empowered, #1)
  • Bump In The Night
  • Infinite Betrayal (Blood Feud #1)
  • Fathom (The Chronicles of Crescent Moon Bay, #1)
Jill James didn't start out wanting to be a writer. Along the way, she wanted to be a doctor, a lawyer, president of the United States, and an astronaut.

Life happened and she discovered she could be all those things; in the pages of her books.

Her debut novel, Tempting Adam, came out February 2011 from The Wild Rose Press.

In October of 2011 she decided to start self-publishing.

Jill writes contempo
More about Jill James...
Divorce, Interrupted (Lake Willowbee, #1) Love in the Time of Zombies Tempting Adam The Christmas Con Dare To Trust (Lake Willowbee, #2)