Start by marking “Extraordinary Everyday Photography: Awaken Your Vision to Create Stunning Images Wherever You Are” as Want to Read:

Through accessible discussions and exercises, readers learn to use composition, available light, color, and point of view to create stunning photographs in any environment.

Published August 21st 2012 by Amphoto Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Extraordinary Everyday Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extraordinary Everyday Photography

Steve
Jul 08, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, it's a bit unusual to review a how-to type book in this community, but I thought that what the authors did was, dare I say, "extraordinary" (yup, nice title pun there) so it merited a review. I thought this book succeeded independently on three levels: (1) this is as attractive as any coffee table book you're going to find and - unlike most coffee table books, with homogeneous topics, this one contains something for everyone - it's visually stunning and impressive in range, and - by design - ...more
Teena in Toronto
I've got three cameras and tend to take a lot of pictures ... sometimes I get serious and try to take photographs. I always have my point-and-shoot camera in my bag.

I like reading books about photography because it sparks my interest to take photographs and I find it interesting to see what catches the eyes of professionals and how they do it.

This book has ten chapters:

* Finding fresh vision
* The moment of perception
* Discovering pictures where you live
* Expanding the creative process
* Capturing
Crown Publishing Group
Get inspired to discover the beautiful images around you

Photographers are born travelers. They’ll go any distance to capture the right light, beautiful landscapes, wildlife, and people. But exotic locales aren’t necessary for interesting photographs. Wonderful images are hiding almost everywhere; you just need to know how to find them.

Extraordinary Everyday Photography will help you search beyond the surface to find the unexpected wherever you are, be it a downtown street, a local park, or your
Pearse Anderson
I hated this book. Almost all of it was useless information or restated information. Oh, I should see beauty in all things? Oh, I should observe more? Okay, I'll do that. Wow. The authors went the thing in new age jargon, used three quarters of the book to stretch out sentences way past their expiration date, and made thousands of stylistic choices that I work,d consider unsavory. I would skim this but not pay anything for it. Yeah, some great pictures, but few. These are clearly Flickr photogra ...more
Luv
Jul 05, 2013 Luv rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ideas are not new. Read them in other photography books. The writing style is conversational, easy to understand. The book is targeted at newbies. The photos are not as impressive as other photography books I've read. May be it's the photography style of the authors that don't sit well with me. I don't like to see photographs of people showing only certain body parts without the face. eg. only hands and legs.
Vanessa
Aug 05, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet. I like it that it doesn't dwell on the technical aspects because that would've put me to sleep real soon, instead it focuses on composition, vision, and emotion. It offers technical guidance when appropriate too, which is great. But mainly it's a good source of inspiration for new perspectives. The pretty photos help illustrate each point the authors are making and help them stick.
Zach Ellerbrook
This is actually a good book for beginners. In fact, I'd rather see beginners read this book and use their point-and-shoot before reading books about the exposure triangle and the rule of thirds. For me, the most benefit that I got out of the book is that I was reminded that I know about getting creative enough, and I need to get out and shoot. Go away, winter!
Amarand
May 31, 2015 Amarand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All photographers - new or experienced.
I really enjoyed stepping through this book over the course of a few months. It's okay to read it cover to cover in a week or so, but if you take the time to let each section inspire you, and practice the techniques, you'll become a better photographer. So much fun!
Ana Manwaring
Jul 31, 2012 Ana Manwaring rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Brenda Tharp and Jed Manwaring have written an easy to follow and beautifully illustrated how-to on photographing the world around us. You don't need to go on vacation to make photos. They are both fine photographers.
Brian Bigelow
Nov 14, 2015 Brian Bigelow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a good book to go through if you're wanting to improve your photography skills.
Kat
Sep 24, 2014 Kat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: photography
Nothing special at all. Okay to skim through but not worth purchasing. The photos are not spectacular and some are even ridiculous in their subject matter.
Julie Warren
Aug 29, 2013 Julie Warren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was OK, but nothing really groundbreaking for me. I'm not sure what I was expecting. That said, it is a good book to skim through.
Colin Keeley
some nice ideas but nothing groundbreaking.
Carrie
Nov 17, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-for-fun
Good ideas, great examples. Loved that most of the photos were taken in San Francisco.
Rebecca
Nov 18, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book you finish, and then start over again to make sure you have the information so you can give the ideas a try.
Jonah
Mar 30, 2014 Jonah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book about creative photography based on the author/s experiences.
I personally like the featured creative photos on this book.
Jennifer Whitehurst
Great book about finding interesting subject matter, inspiration & most important opening your eyes to the everyday moments that people tend to overlook to achieve great images.

Doreen
Good for beginners or those with a point and shoot who want to improve their photography. If you have studied photography at all, this may not be the right book for you. It wasn't right for me.
Josh
Jul 07, 2013 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some pretty pictures and great ideas. See especially page 42.
Thnathip
Thnathip rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Larry Elliott
Larry Elliott rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2013
Nathaniel Whitmore
Nathaniel Whitmore rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Oliver
Oliver rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
R.Ganesh
R.Ganesh rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Botond
Botond rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • VisionMongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
  • 50 Photo Projects: Creative Ideas To Kick Start Your Photography
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • The Practice of Contemplative Photography: Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes
  • A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book: 95 Inspiring Ideas for Photographing Your Friends, Your World, and Yourself
  • Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling
  • Plastic Cameras: Toying with Creativity
  • My Morning View: An iPhone Photography Project about Gratitude, Grief & Good Coffee
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“When we separate our artistic activity from daily life, we cut ourselves off from our most valuable creative resource. However, if we live life as an art form in itself, we have available to us all that we experience and see.” 1 likes