Start by marking “The 50 Movie Starter Kit: What You Need to Know if You Want to Know What You're Talking About” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In this ebook exclusive, Boston Globe film critic Ty Burr introduces the fifty films every movie lover must know.

This carefully curated list of great movies spans over a century of filmmaking, from the silent era to the last decade, from American favorites to international classics. Including recognized masterpieces such as "City Lights" and "Casablanca," as well as more r
Published October 2nd 2012 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The 50 Movie Starter Kit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 50 Movie Starter Kit

Kandice
This was a good "list". I really enjoy movies of all kinds, from silent to foreign so when I come across lists or suggestions from movie buffs I'm always interested to see how many I've read, liked, loved or hated.
I've seen 42 Burr suggests and although I might not have rated them exactly as he does I mostly agree with his choices. Makes me feel like a bit of a buff myself. :-)
Kelly
This is a solid primer for burgeoning cinephiles. It's accessible and just as appreciative of mass entertainment films as it is art films (though it does have its standards). I recommend it! It led me to add about a dozen films to my to-see list.
Rosa
I've already started working my way through this list, and so far it's guided me well.
Connal
Connal marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Chris Meisner
Chris Meisner marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
jeffrey
jeffrey marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Kokolani Missett
Kokolani Missett marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Stijn De Meyere
Stijn De Meyere marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2012
Holly Rusak
Holly Rusak marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2012
TY BURR is the film critic for The Boston Globe. For more than a decade he wrote about movies for Entertainment Weekly, and he has also served in the film acquisitions department of HBO. He estimates that after thirty years of serious movie-watching, he has seen on the order of 10,680 films. On a good day, he remembers 7,000 of them.
More about Ty Burr...
Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame The Best Old Movies for Families: A Guide to Watching Together The 100 Greatest Stars of All Time