Start by marking “The Age Atomic (Empire State, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Age Atomic (Empire State, #2)

The Age Atomic (Empire State #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  48 reviews
The sequel to Empire State – the superhero-noir fantasy thriller set in the other New York.

The Empire State is dying. The Fissure connecting the pocket universe to New York has vanished, plunging the city into a deep freeze and the populace are demanding a return to Prohibition and rationing as energy supplies dwindle.

Meanwhile, in 1954 New York, the political dynamic has
Published March 26th 2013 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Age Atomic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age Atomic

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareHarry Potter Hardcover Boxed Set, Books 1-6 by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Winds of Winter by George R.R. Martin
Books I'd Break Into A Bookstore Or Library For
409th out of 871 books — 391 voters
Steelheart by Brandon SandersonH.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education by Mark WaldenThe Cloak Society by Jeramey KraatzAfter the Golden Age by Carrie VaughnVillains Rising by Jeramey Kraatz
88th out of 113 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

The Empire State is dying due to the fissure connecting this reality to New York disappearing. The populace is in a panic, demanding the return of prohibition and rationing of energy. Meanwhile in 1954 New York there has been a dynamic political change. A new group called Atoms for Peace are preparing a robot army for a trans-dimensional invasion. Their goal: total conquest – or destruction – of the Empire State.

Private Investigator Rad Bradley is back in the sequel to Empire State. This time th
Following the events of Empire State, all seemed to be well in both New York and it’s counterpart, The Empire State. However, when we pick things up in The Age Atomic, the fissure is missing and The Empire State is suffering. Plunged into a deep freeze, the citizens struggle to get through each day with what little they have. To make matters worse, the returning Rad Bradley and newcomer Special Agent Jennifer Jones, uncover an underground movement regarding the creation of a robot army.

Things in
Milo (Bane of Kings)
Read the original review:

“A wonderful novel, The Age Atomic proves that Adam Christopher can write sequels just as well as anyone. The most fun read of 2013 so far, and one of the best.” ~The Founding Fields

I loved Adam Christopher’s first novel, Empire State, when I first read it back in 2011. It would have made it high on my best of 2011 list as well, but for the fact that Seven Wonders was better. Needless to say, The Age Atomic was one of my most a
The sci-fi pulp feel of THE AGE ATOMIC along with the engaging and unique characters make this a really fun book to read. While different to THE EMPIRE STATE, THE AGE ATOMIC continues some of the themes prevalent throughout its predecessor while maintaining its own identity. I like it when sequels are distinct works in their own right and author Adam Christopher certainly achieves that here.

The impending threat of invasion by a sinister robotic army constructed in the basement of the Atoms For
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the sequel to the excellent 2012 debut Empire State by Adam Christopher.

“Quite simply, this was disappointing in the extreme.” ~The Founding Fields

Reading sequels is often an experience filled with trepidation. They have the ability to annoy, to frustrate, to amaze, to stun beyond expectations. Sometimes they will meet your expectations almost spot on, although that is a rather rar
Ben Babcock
I am so behind on my Angry Robot subscription. It’s bad, guys. I read Empire State 3 years ago, and The Age Atomic came out half a year later. I barely remember the first book—no, that’s a lie; I had entirely forgotten the first book. I remembered exactly none of the characters when Adam Christopher reintroduced them here. But the vague memories that I stir up from reading my review suggest that these two books are fairly disjoint.

If Empire State was a noir mystery built into a pocket universe
After reading Empire State and walking away with a lukewarm feeling, I was a little hesitant about picking up its sequel, The Age Atomic. The series was so well received by others, and it's a melding of genres I enjoy, I wondered if I just wasn't in the right mood to read something like Empire State. Well, I made sure to wait until I got a hankering for some genre-mashing goodness before picking up The Age Atomic.

The book starts out with Empire State quite literally in the winter of its disconte
The Age Atomic
Written by Adam Christopher
Read by Phil Gigante

The Age Atomic continues where Empire State left off. Some time has passed since the events of Empire State but the fissure has disappeared from the Empire State. Since the fissure in Battery Park is the source of sustenance to The Empire State, the climate begins to edge toward an ice age as time goes on. While this is happening, Rad Bradley uncovers a plot involving robots. On the other side of the fissure in New York City, a mysteri
I really wanted to really like this, I did. I've read a number of Adam Christopher books now and I find some are better than others; Hangwire is the best of the lot so far I think, which would make sense with it being his most recent. I liked Seven Wonders a fair bit too though it had a weak ending.

This though, I just don't really like, it's ok perhaps but that's it. It's tepid, neither truly good nor really repellant. The plot ticks on well enough and there's plenty of action and yet at the sam
While not as good as The Empire State, the Age Atomic is still an excellent read. We return to Rad Bradley and the Empire State about a year after the events of the first book, and there is a lot going on.

First, the Empire State has lost contact with New York, the Fissure connecting the two vanished, leaving the Empire State slowly turning into a block of ice while earthquakes rack the Pocket Universe. Rad Bradley and Jennifer Jones are trying to keep things together while they are falling apart
I can't say enough wonderful things about this series. I love the setting. I love the Science Fiction noir. I like the crossing of genres and how it feels like I am reading a well written pulp novel. I know Christopher will be leaving this world for a little while but if he ever comes back I am waiting to dive in again. My favorite new author.
This book was... interesting. I finished it all in one sitting, partially because it was an enjoyable read, partially because I didn't have anything better to be doing at 2 AM. My immediate impression upon finishing is that this book feels like the middle book of a trilogy. I don't know if it's intended to be, although until I randomly saw this on a shelf at the bookstore, I had no idea that Empire State had a sequel. But the ending feels vaguely unsatisfactory, like there's more story to be tol ...more
Josiah Hawkins
It seems that the empire state can never catch a break. In the first novel they were under the threat of destruction, in Mr. Christopher's sequel to his first book, Empire State, the parallel New York is in trouble once again.

In the second book the fissure connecting New York and the empire state has dissapeared, and this dissapearance has caused the city to go into a deep freeze. This steady decline in temperature will evetually cause everyone to freeze and something needs to be done. Meanwhile
All Things Urban Fantasy
Adam Christopher created a wholly original world in EMPIRE STATE so I was extremely pleased to get a chance to review THE AGE ATOMIC and I’m happy to say that Christopher doesn’t disappoint.

The second book in his Empire State series takes place in 1954 (a good bit of time after the first), yet in the Empire State only a few months have gone by. Even worse the Empire State has been plunged in to a perpetual winter and Captain Carson – who took over the Empire State at the end of the first book –
Rattles along at a decent lick with threads weaving and knitting together, and occasionally snapping. Rad Bradley is back, and he's still trying to keep the Empire State safe from harm in whatever way he can. He's surrounded by robots, superhumans and shadowy government agencies; in other words he's caught in the middle, again.

Adam Christopher's Empire State universe is a cracking place to be. Bristling with robots, superheroes and mid-twentieth-century tropes. The locations and characters are b
The Age Atomic is set a number of years after Empire State, in 1954, but in the Empire State (the first novel is named after the setting), only a few months have passed. In the The Age Atomic, we meet an old friend from the previous novel, Rad Bradley, who has to deal with a rather dire situation: The Empire State is plunged in a perpetual winter, Captain Carson, who took charge of the Empire State at the end of Empire State has gone missing, chaos is spreading and a mysterious figure known as T ...more
Ellie Ann
This is fantastic science fiction noir. Adams follows the noir structure strictly, with great results. The story is gritty, mysterious, and engaging. He didn’t add in character arcs like most noirs, but the plot was epic in scope, which is where the science fiction comes in. He blended the genres like a master.

The story follows Rad Bradley and Jennifer Jones as they track down the robot king, each for very different reasons. When they find him they realize that nuclear destruction is imminent, u
David Harris
I've changed my mind about this book a couple of times reading it, but for me, it came good in the end. It is worth pointing out, though, that it's a bit different from Christopher's Empire State to which it is a sequel.

Like the earlier book, Age Atomic is set in the Empire State, a "pocket universe" that is a twisted copy of 50s New York City, and in New York itself. The hero of Empire State, PI Rad Bradley, returns. He is still living in the back of his shabby office, still walking the mean st
I got an ARC ebook of The Age Atomic and it's excellent. Best to have read The Empire State first. An intriguing universe has been created by Adam Christopher; it's New York City with a twist, more than a few twists, actually...

The Empire State is the alter ego of a New York City that resembles the one in the '50s or so in our timeline. The Fissure that used to connect the two cities has disappeared, and the Empire State no longer has its energy to keep things going. It's getting very cold.

A rob
Tyrannosaurus regina
Interesting ideas and engaging writing to back them up—I certainly flew through it—but the characterisation fell short for me (which I think is the exact same complaint I had about the first book in the series). I liked the characters well enough, but still don't feel like I know them very well or entirely understand their motivations.
I'm not able to put my finger on it, but there's something about the writing in these Empire State books that I find difficult. I often find myself needing to backtrack a bit to follow what's going on, as if my mind is just wandering a bit while I'm reading it.
This book seems to try too hard to be a 1940 hardboiled dective/science fiction piece. I think it's all a matter of taste and it doesn't match mine.
Apr 05, 2015 Cookie added it
Shelves: unreadable
I loved Empire State and was so excited to find this sequel. Too disjointed and confusing to finish. So disappointed.
Saint Lart
I liked the first one a bit more. But Rad Bradley and Jennifer make a great team.
If you enjoy novels that mash up their genres, smooshing a range of aesthetics together into a weird whole, then Adam Christopher’s The Age Atomic could be for you. At last count, it combines parallel universes, steampunk airships, superheroes, 50s nuclear paranoia and a noirish private dick together into one bizarre soup.

So, to really strain this metaphor to pieces, how tasty is that soup? Is it the same sickly green as the book cover?

Adam Christopher has grown as a writer, this is the third of his books I read and his prose, ideas and structure goes from strength to strength. The Age Atomic is a perfect sequel to The Empire State, but where as the first story was contained more to one world, here Adam has spread his wings and has brought in more of events from both worlds. The characters have become more rounded, story arcs that seem to be planned to run and run were opened up, promising a healthy future for both the Origin ...more
Michael Underwood
This is Angry Robot’s third novel with Adam Christopher, and his first sequel. Following closely after the end of Empire State, The Age Atomic brings in the world of 50s Atomic SF with references so diverse that I’m sure I missed many of them – taking Christopher’s incarnation of the trope in the novel as the furniture that narrative innovations of the 50s first created.

The Age Atomic is my favorite of Christopher’s works so far – especially due to the characterization throughout.
Bruce Mohler
Despite the fact that this book was about lots of robots early in the Atomic Age, I found this story hard to follow. Some of the "jumps" were bigger than others. At one point, a robot is fighting a ghost in the zeppelin and when the ghost somehow joined Kane I never determined. That made the enjoyment of the story challenging.

There was one typo at location 4434 in the Kindle edition of the book: "appliances" should've been "ambulances".
Picking up where its predecessor left off, The Age Atomic delivers the same heady mix of science-fiction, fantasy and hard-boiled detective story, only with a sharper prose and (even) faster action. A highly recommended read. Just don't start it if you have a deadline looming - you won't be able to put it down...

Negative aspects? The sequel isn't out yet. Simple as that.
Atompunk. Gods, I hope Christopher continues this series. Because at the end, when all seemed naught, my heart skipped a beat and broke on the very lat page. That's why I gave the book 5 stars, because at the very end, you feel for the big bad as everything else goes to hell around the main char. I just hope it doesn't end here. :)
The Sword and Laser: This topic has been closed to new comments. Win Adam Christopher books! 124 272 May 13, 2013 11:57PM
The Sword and Laser: This topic has been closed to new comments. Questions for Adam Christopher 3 64 Apr 29, 2013 11:36AM
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • The Corpse-Rat King
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • The Rebirths of Tao (Tao, #3)
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • The Rise of Ransom City (The Half-Made World, #2)
  • Obsidian and Blood
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • When the Villain Comes Home
  • Three (Legends of the Duskwalker, #1)
  • Suited (The Veiled Worlds, #2)
  • Ghosts of Manhattan (The Ghost, #1)
  • The Iron Khan (Detective Inspector Chen, #5)
  • A Discourse in Steel (Egil and Nix #2)
  • Hell on Church Street
  • The Woken Gods
Adam Christopher was born in Auckland, New Zealand. In 2006, he moved to the sunny North West of England, where he lives in domestic bliss with wife and cat in a house next to a canal. Adam’s short fiction has appeared in Pantechnicon, Hub, and Dark Fiction Magazine. Adam's debut novel, Empire State, is due from Angry Robot in January 2012.

When not writing Adam can be found drinking tea and obsess
More about Adam Christopher...

Empire State (2 books)
  • Empire State (Empire State, #1)
Empire State (Empire State, #1) Seven Wonders The Burning Dark (Spider Wars #1) Hang Wire Elementary: The Ghost Line