Start by marking “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #3)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang #3)

Everyone’s favorite flying car shifts into another dimension as the intrepid Tooting family zooms back and forth through time.

When the Tootings return to Zobrowski Terrace at the end of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again, they find that "home" is looking a lot like Jurassic Park. But this is no theme park — a very real and very hungry T. rex is charging them! Thanks to Da
Published March 12th 2013 by Candlewick Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time

Kalilah
Oct 29, 2016 Kalilah rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It was hilariously entertaining.
The time-travelling elements were a surprise because usually it's all about fixing tragic events that happened in the past for the betterment of the future, or sometimes just for the protagonist's peace of mind. But in this story it's quite the opposite. I liked that. Alot. Because I've always had an issue with blasé time-travel changes to history/future. It just doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, the story doesn't delve int
Sally
Nov 03, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like FCB's first Chitty book, completely mad...but just go with it! However, be warned that it ends with the story in 'mid-air' so you will NEED the next volume asap.

I love the light touch of this fantastic series. Also the illustrations - which appear to show a blended family but I'm not sure, as this isn't mentioned in the text. I'm trying not to get too hung up on this but just wondering if some of Lucy's issues are to do with possibly losing her mother??? But I love her intelligence.

This boo
Sam Woodfield
Oct 10, 2012 Sam Woodfield rated it liked it
Often, when an author carries on that of another, although there are differences between the 2, these are subtle and the two stories could be written by the same person at different times in their careers. However, unfortunately that isn't the case in this instance, and Cotterll Boyce doesn't even come close to the skill of Fleming. As I have only recently read the original book, I found it hard not to compare these novels and this really affected by enjoyment.
This novel follows Chitty Chitty Ba
Ms. Yingling
May 06, 2013 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Instead of heading home from their last adventure, the Tooting family ends up going back to the Jurassic period, where they almost get eaten by a T. Rex! Barely escaping, they end up in 1920s New York city, where Chitty has taken them so she can reconnect with her first owner, the clueless Count Zborowski who is supposed to compete in the Prix d'Esmerelda's Birthday Cake. The Tootings try to save him from a suspicious woman, Bella Sposa, who wants to marry him and ruin his chances of winning, bu ...more
Kristen Jett
I really had to ponder how to rate this one. I think I'm settling on a 3.3. It's a fun, very light read.

I found this book to be a lot of fun, and enjoyable. The characters are likable, with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang being just as cheeky as I remembered. The time travel plot isn't overly complicated, to the extent that I didn't even have to take notes as I read. (Have I mentioned that time travel in books often makes my eyes cross? Because it does.) The illustrations are darling. I still feel a bi
Betsy
Reviewed first on RedeemedReader

This second installment is one madcap race to be sure. Chitty has a mind of her own and takes the Tooting family to prehistoric times, to the Roaring Twenties in America (and Chitty’s original owner, Count Zborowski), to El Dorado, to the present, and finally, to the famous 1966 World Cup game in London. Jem uses Chitty’s logbook to piece together different adventures in Chitty’s past (and helps his sister Lucy narrowly avert a tragic accident). By the end of the
Heather
Sep 22, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Cute addition to the Chitty books by Boyce (and if you didn't know it already I'm a big fan of Boyce--if you haven't yet read Millions-go do it!), but not as strong as the first title.

In this episode Chitty can travel through time and the Tootings encounter people from Chitty's and their own immediate past (hint, hint, the villains are staring you in the face!)

Summary: Chitty rescues the Tooting family from a hungry T. Rex and takes the family on a tour of early New York among other places.
Jenny
Mar 24, 2013 Jenny rated it did not like it
It took me two months to read this book even though it was very short. One madcap adventure follows another so quickly that there isn't a chance to care about the characters or even understand their motivations. The stories (set in different time periods) are all mind-numbingly similar with the youngest doing something stupid that works out, the son and dad fixing the car, the daughter being smart, and chitty bang bang (the car) saving the day at the very last minutes. Give me a mindless Saturda ...more
Martha
Aug 05, 2013 Martha rated it liked it
This sequel to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is non stop action. However, I found the amount of background knowledge necessary to really understand the story of the Tooting family who time travel through history in their flying car through Prohibition, El Dorado, Crown Jewels, etc., will be lacking for most young readers, leaving them confused and unable to understand the humor, unless they have learned about these historical subjects and places.
May 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Delightful read-aloud for kids and adults full of quirky humor and great illustrations. Fabulous substitute (in this reader's mind) for the dismal Magic Tree House books (albeit not as simply written), but good for the teacher/parent trying to inspire kids to read with an early chapter book. And hello-DINOSAURS...
Luann
May 06, 2015 Luann rated it it was ok
This was mostly just silly, and not always in a good way. I was going to stop reading about half way through, but then it seemed to get a bit better. But only just a bit. Sorry to say, but I don't think I'll be reading the next one. There are just too many other books to read that I know I'll enjoy more.
Dianna
Jun 28, 2013 Dianna rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It was funny. I liked the way the characters are connecting between books. I did not enjoy the cliffhanger ending—to me, it's not a real ending, more of an advertisement for the next book.
Heidi
Jul 31, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing
David Tennant does an amazing job reading the audio book. It's hard to find a book that will captivate my 13 yr old and my 5 yr old, but this one does. They all love this fun, comical, exciting series.
Kirttimukha TheCat
Jul 12, 2015 Kirttimukha TheCat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
The book clearly meant for young readers is interesting and entertaining. If you can help it, get the audio book read by David Tennant, who is hugely gifted and makes the book really come alive. It's not quite as techy as the original book, but it's really very good.
Rebecca
I didn't listen carefully because I wan't that into it. Camilo would probably give it 5 stars; he's more appreciative and less critical of books than I am.
Carey
Carey rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Bryony Malone
Bryony Malone rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Moses Ng
Moses Ng rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Keris
Keris rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Marylou
Marylou rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2016
Shaw Cooper
Shaw Cooper rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Steph
Steph rated it did not like it
Jul 03, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Brenda Nesbitt
Brenda Nesbitt rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2012
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Nomcwilly
Nomcwilly rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Henry! You're Hungry Again?
  • The Universe of Fair
  • I Represent Sean Rosen
  • Jellybeans Morning, Noon & Night
  • Horatio's One Wish
  • The Music of Zombies (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #5)
  • The Templeton Twins Make a Scene (Templeton Twins, #2)
  • Kate Walden Directs: Night of the Zombie Chickens
  • Mouse Bird Snake Wolf
  • Eliza Bing Is (Not) a Big, Fat Quitter
  • The Night the Moon Ate My Room
  • Sleuth on Skates
  • Sunny Sweet Is So Not Sorry
  • Beth's Story, 1914 (Secrets of the Manor, #1)
  • Stranger Things (Looniverse, #1)
  • Whistle in the Dark
  • Ukulele Hayley
  • Lords of Trillium
Frank Cottrell Boyce is a British screenwriter, novelist and occasional actor.

In addition to original scripts, Cottrell Boyce has also adapted novels for the screen and written children's fiction, winning the 2004 Carnegie Medal for his debut, Millions, based on his own screenplay for the film of the same name.
His novel Framed was shortlisted for the Whitbread Book of the Year as well as the Carne
More about Frank Cottrell Boyce...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (4 books)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #2)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Over the Moon (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #4)