Start by marking “Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight” as Want to Read:
Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight

Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight

Made you look! Kids will uncover their inner guerrilla artist as they sneak funny art projects into surprising places to make people smile!

For young artists, tricksters, and crafters, here is a hip, friendly how-to manual for creating removable and shareable art projects from easily found materials. The sneaky part is in the installation! Each work of art is custom-created
Published March 26th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Sneaky Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sneaky Art

Salimah
Aug 15, 2013 Salimah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Once I saw the lovely brown box waiting for me on my front porch stoop, I couldn't wait to tear through it and this sneaky little book! I did in fact read every art project and decided a friend and I would attempt as many as we could this year. I was personally impressed by 'Paper-plate Peeker', 'Teensy-weensy Washing Line' (SO cute!), 'Cup Dangler' (one of the easiest projects), 'Fingers and Toes', 'Library Shouts', and 'Painted Stones'. In the past, I actually used to leave little letters arou ...more
Jan Polep
Jul 29, 2014 Jan Polep rated it really liked it
Easy peasy, fun, DIY art projects to make from everyday stuff, then sneak them into public places for others to find. Now I know what to do with all those wine corks (sink/fountain boats), pennies (lucky penny) and library shouts (guerrilla marketing in the stacks). The hard part is hiding the procjects in plain sight and not being there when they are found. This book really needs a sequel with more projects!
Ella
Jan 14, 2017 Ella rated it liked it
I really like the concept of this book. I don't like all of the projects, but it gets the wheels turning to come up with projects of your own.
Cindy Hudson
Jan 14, 2014 Cindy Hudson rated it really liked it
Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight by Marthe Jocelyn provides inspiration for simple art projects that can brighten the day of someone you love or even a total stranger. The sneaky referred to in the title refers to how the art is displayed. For instance, the instructions for Lucky Penny talk about how to use cut-out letters, stickers, colored index cards, glue and tape to create little pieces of art with a penny attached. The lettering says something like “pick me up.” The tric ...more
Cathy Hall
Dec 11, 2013 Cathy Hall rated it it was amazing
SNEAKY ART is such a fun book--and such a fun idea! I love that Marthe Jocelyn has combined a couple kid-friendly concepts--making art out of found objects and sneakily leaving behind a surprise for someone else to find. And she's put these concepts into a very kid-friendly format.

The instructions for the projects are easy-to-follow, with materials that won't break the budget since they're found treasures! And the author also includes tips on "How To Sneak" your art into places that will have an
Penny McGill
Feb 19, 2014 Penny McGill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
We checked this one out because we are fans of Marthe Jocelyn but were thrilled to see that we had mis-read the intention of the book. "Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight" seemed to us to be a craft that looks like something but is actually made up of something else (like the cupcakes on the cover which are made of tissue paper and beads) but it the book is a craft book + a suggestion that you hide your art out there in the world to surprise people. It's really wonderful.

The instructions ar
Rachel
Feb 07, 2017 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-and-crafts, kids
A fun little book about making art so that you can sneak in and hide it to surprise people and brighten their day. Most of the projects are super simple and use only a few supplies. I like that it makes a point of stating that sneaky art is 100% removable, that it doesn't damage or harm the place where it's placed at all. I think that finding one of these projects hidden somewhere would make me smile and that that smile could inspire a little artist to make more stuff and that'd be awesome.
Laura DeLuca
Jul 19, 2013 Laura DeLuca rated it it was amazing

Sneaky Art is a book filled with simple craft ideas. Using everyday household items, you can create all sorts of things. What makes this book unique is that the crafts aren't just for your own entertainment. You can leave them in unexpected places for people to find. Make a face for a meter on the street. Place a surprise note in the library. Leave a spray of paper flowers on the branches of a bare tree in the winter. The crafts are easy for kids of all ages and I love the idea of paying it forw
Bmack
Jul 10, 2014 Bmack rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-1-3
Cute craft book for kids giving them ideas of art they can leave in different places to make life a little more interesting. For instance, you can make a little cork sail boat to leave in a public fountain or sink. Spruce up a chair by putting baby socks on the feet of the chair or a winter glove on a doorknob.
Mary
Mar 23, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
I perused this more than read it, but what I saw was cool! I can't wait to do a sneaky art program with kids over the summer. The beauty of these projects is that kids of all ages can do them and have fun being sneaky about it. I can even see teens and adults having a blast with this. I'm hoping to "sneak attack" our library with all kinds of cute, creative surprises.
Pam
Apr 04, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture, art
Wonderful book of art projects for kids and adults alike. The author, Marthe Jocelyn, suggests simple art projects needing the simpliest supplies that can be hidden in full view to make family members, neighbors and random passers-by smile with delight. What a cool idea and a great one for the upcoming summer!
Rebecca
Kids' first guerrilla art! This would be an awesome program, especially if you want to do something like eyebombing but take it beyond a single thing. There are a lot of kindness-spreading ideas, too, which I also think could be a program base.

I totally want to put tiny socks on chair feet now.
Anne
Nov 20, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
If you are looking for ideas on how to have some fun over break, why not give some of these sneaky projects a try. You can make tissue-paper cupcakes, swingles (*new word alert*), taglines, and way more!
Maija
Fantastic! I really want to start making a flock of clip on birds to put around the neighborhood
Nancy S
Aug 06, 2013 Nancy S rated it it was amazing
Great easy to do art projects! Can't wait to try some.
Brenda Kahn
Mar 17, 2013 Brenda Kahn rated it liked it
Shelves: art, 2013, crafts
24 cute, colorful and cheerful ideas for subversive and sneaky art installations in private and public settings. Great for the uncreative, like myself.
Ann
Dec 26, 2013 Ann marked it as to-read
Top Ten Crafts and Gardening Books for Youth 2013 (Booklist)
Melissa Wehunt
May 06, 2013 Melissa Wehunt rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-non-fiction
Totally adorable craft book. It's got some really cute ideas that are simple and easy to do.
Marianna
Jan 16, 2014 Marianna rated it really liked it
A fun book full if completely doable ideas.
Don
Jul 07, 2013 Don rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
Crafts for Vera & Celeste - Great. Copied via JotNot & emailed to Celeste.
Julie
Apr 18, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Lots of fun ideas, i love this!
Jane H
Aug 06, 2013 Jane H rated it really liked it
I thought this was so sweet!
Laurie
Jul 10, 2013 Laurie added it
My nine-year-old truly loved this book (she even thanked me for checking it out from the library) and had a great time making simple, sneaky projects to surprise us around the house.
Erica
Jan 07, 2014 Erica rated it really liked it
Wonderful ideas & inspiration for doing subversive little art projects & putting them out in the world.
Elaine Bearden
Aug 06, 2014 Elaine Bearden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programs, crafts
really fun easy craft ideas for sneaking art and words into people's lives
Christiana
Feb 24, 2014 Christiana rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-non-fic
Fun! Especially like cup danglers, sink boats, fingers and toes, lucky penny, and fortune cookies.
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Eric Dewey
Eric Dewey rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Jess May
Jess May rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Tonya
Tonya rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Farmer Will Allen and the Growing Table
  • 3D Art Lab for Kids: 32 Hands-on Adventures in Sculpture and Mixed Media - Including fun projects using clay, plaster, cardboard, paper, fiber beads and more!
  • A Little Book of Sloth
  • Animalium
  • Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World
  • Miss Maple's Seeds
  • Hippos Are Huge!
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • Stronger Than Steel: Spider Silk DNA and the Quest for Better Bulletproof Vests, Sutures, and Parachute Rope
  • Henri's Scissors: with audio recording
  • Plastic, Ahoy!: Investigating the Great Pacific Garbage Patch
  • The Sketchbook Challenge: Techniques, Prompts, and Inspiration for Achieving Your Creative Goals
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • A Walk in Paris
  • Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cat
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • Illustration School: Let's Draw Cute Animals
Canadian born
22 books published for young readers"
More about Marthe Jocelyn...