Start by marking “Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight” as Want to Read:
Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight

Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Made you look! Kids will uncover their inner guerrilla artist as they sneak funny art projects into surprising places to make people smile!

For young artists, tricksters, and crafters, here is a hip, friendly how-to manual for creating removable and shareable art projects from easily found materials. The sneaky part is in the installation! Each work of art is custom-created
Published March 26th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Sneaky Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sneaky Art

Jan Polep
Easy peasy, fun, DIY art projects to make from everyday stuff, then sneak them into public places for others to find. Now I know what to do with all those wine corks (sink/fountain boats), pennies (lucky penny) and library shouts (guerrilla marketing in the stacks). The hard part is hiding the procjects in plain sight and not being there when they are found. This book really needs a sequel with more projects!
Salimah
Once I saw the lovely brown box waiting for me on my front porch stoop, I couldn't wait to tear through it and this sneaky little book! I did in fact read every art project and decided a friend and I would attempt as many as we could this year. I was personally impressed by 'Paper-plate Peeker', 'Teensy-weensy Washing Line' (SO cute!), 'Cup Dangler' (one of the easiest projects), 'Fingers and Toes', 'Library Shouts', and 'Painted Stones'. In the past, I actually used to leave little letters arou ...more
Penny McGill
We checked this one out because we are fans of Marthe Jocelyn but were thrilled to see that we had mis-read the intention of the book. "Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight" seemed to us to be a craft that looks like something but is actually made up of something else (like the cupcakes on the cover which are made of tissue paper and beads) but it the book is a craft book + a suggestion that you hide your art out there in the world to surprise people. It's really wonderful.

The instructions ar
Cindy Hudson
Sneaky Art: Crafty Surprises to Hide in Plain Sight by Marthe Jocelyn provides inspiration for simple art projects that can brighten the day of someone you love or even a total stranger. The sneaky referred to in the title refers to how the art is displayed. For instance, the instructions for Lucky Penny talk about how to use cut-out letters, stickers, colored index cards, glue and tape to create little pieces of art with a penny attached. The lettering says something like “pick me up.” The tric ...more
Cathy Hall
SNEAKY ART is such a fun book--and such a fun idea! I love that Marthe Jocelyn has combined a couple kid-friendly concepts--making art out of found objects and sneakily leaving behind a surprise for someone else to find. And she's put these concepts into a very kid-friendly format.

The instructions for the projects are easy-to-follow, with materials that won't break the budget since they're found treasures! And the author also includes tips on "How To Sneak" your art into places that will have an
Laura DeLuca

Sneaky Art is a book filled with simple craft ideas. Using everyday household items, you can create all sorts of things. What makes this book unique is that the crafts aren't just for your own entertainment. You can leave them in unexpected places for people to find. Make a face for a meter on the street. Place a surprise note in the library. Leave a spray of paper flowers on the branches of a bare tree in the winter. The crafts are easy for kids of all ages and I love the idea of paying it forw
Bmack
Cute craft book for kids giving them ideas of art they can leave in different places to make life a little more interesting. For instance, you can make a little cork sail boat to leave in a public fountain or sink. Spruce up a chair by putting baby socks on the feet of the chair or a winter glove on a doorknob.
Rebecca
Kids' first guerrilla art! This would be an awesome program, especially if you want to do something like eyebombing but take it beyond a single thing. There are a lot of kindness-spreading ideas, too, which I also think could be a program base.

I totally want to put tiny socks on chair feet now.
Christiana
Fun! Especially like cup danglers, sink boats, fingers and toes, lucky penny, and fortune cookies.
Elaine Bearden
really fun easy craft ideas for sneaking art and words into people's lives
Mary
I perused this more than read it, but what I saw was cool! I can't wait to do a sneaky art program with kids over the summer. The beauty of these projects is that kids of all ages can do them and have fun being sneaky about it. I can even see teens and adults having a blast with this. I'm hoping to "sneak attack" our library with all kinds of cute, creative surprises.
Marianna
A fun book full if completely doable ideas.
Pam
Wonderful book of art projects for kids and adults alike. The author, Marthe Jocelyn, suggests simple art projects needing the simpliest supplies that can be hidden in full view to make family members, neighbors and random passers-by smile with delight. What a cool idea and a great one for the upcoming summer!
Erica
Wonderful ideas & inspiration for doing subversive little art projects & putting them out in the world.
Anne
If you are looking for ideas on how to have some fun over break, why not give some of these sneaky projects a try. You can make tissue-paper cupcakes, swingles (*new word alert*), taglines, and way more!
Annelise
The practice of leaving sweet notes and trails of lucky pennies, elevated to an art form, with actual projects! Subversity in maybe its cutest form. Recommended for future yarn bombers, etc.
Laurie
Jul 10, 2013 Laurie added it
My nine-year-old truly loved this book (she even thanked me for checking it out from the library) and had a great time making simple, sneaky projects to surprise us around the house.
Brenda Kahn
24 cute, colorful and cheerful ideas for subversive and sneaky art installations in private and public settings. Great for the uncreative, like myself.
Ann
Dec 26, 2013 Ann marked it as to-read
Top Ten Crafts and Gardening Books for Youth 2013 (Booklist)
Melissa Wehunt
Totally adorable craft book. It's got some really cute ideas that are simple and easy to do.
Maija
Fantastic! I really want to start making a flock of clip on birds to put around the neighborhood
Don
Jul 07, 2013 Don rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts
Crafts for Vera & Celeste - Great. Copied via JotNot & emailed to Celeste.
Nancy S
Great easy to do art projects! Can't wait to try some.
Jane H
I thought this was so sweet!
Julie
Lots of fun ideas, i love this!
Steph
Steph added it
Jul 04, 2015
  • Farmer Will Allen and the Growing Table
  • A Little Book of Sloth
  • 3D Art Lab for Kids: 32 Hands-on Adventures in Sculpture and Mixed Media - Including fun projects using clay, plaster, cardboard, paper, fiber beads and more!
  • Animalium
  • Fatty Legs
  • Miss Maple's Seeds
  • Henri's Scissors: with audio recording
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin
  • Outside In
  • If...: A Mind-Bending New Way of Looking at Big Ideas and Numbers
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • And Nothing But the Truth (The Whole Truth, #2)
Canadian born
22 books published for young readers"
More about Marthe Jocelyn...
Would You Folly Mable Riley: A Reliable Record of Humdrum, Peril, and Romance What We Hide How It Happened in Peach Hill