Start by marking “As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2: A Compilation from the Writings of James Allen” as Want to Read:
As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2: A Compilation from the Writings of James Allen

As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2: A Compilation from the Writings of James Allen

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Edited and selected from the writings of James Allen. A glorious companion volume to the all-time inspirational classic by James Allen. Volume 1 is included.
Published November 15th 2004 by Mind Art Publishing

To ask other readers questions about As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2

Bryan Sebesta
Jul 09, 2015 Bryan Sebesta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in wisdom and inspirational literature
Shelves: inspirational
"This is peace,
To conquer the love of self and lust of life,
To tear deep-rooted passion from the heart
To still the inward strife." (p. 154)

What a wonderful, wonderful book. Of the late religious leader Neal Maxwell it was said, "every sentence was a sermon." Allen is similar. The thought-to-word ratio is so dense that it is difficult to catch some of it on a quick read (which was hard because my goal was 20 pages a day). There are some gems in Allen's phrasing: "the silence of the soul," "the si
In a book review Buzz Bradshaw said that 'As a Man Thinketh' by James Allen, “is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read,” and "the influence of that book helped to build our team—the most powerful sales organization you’ve ever witnessed.”

For some who lived a rich life to be 101 years old, I thought this might be a good book to check out, and it was well with the read. "As a Man Thinketh" is actually a short essay, which this book included, but also had related excerpts from other bo
This was a fascinating philosophy. I agree with much of what Mr. Allen says. Some of it was a bit over my head, and a few things I did not agree with. The following quotes appealed to me. "...the most which others can do is to afford an opportunity for our own good or evil to manifest itself; they cannot make us good or evil." " No one is, or can be, arbitrarily shut out from Heaven; each shuts himself out."
A very thought provoking book. I took my time getting through this one. Every page and every paragraph could pack a punch and get me to reflect on my own thought patterns. And I liked this version because more was added to it that relate to the same topic but from other writings of James Allen. It's definitely one I need to read multiple times.
Dara Hess
This is a great book to read if you are aspiring to live closer to God. It is uplifting, inspiring, thought-provoking, blunt, and written with beauty and grace in language. I have read it several times and continue to benefit.
Brian Black
An incoherent and aimless book. He needs to direct his thoughts or organize them somehow . . .
Jeff Byington
Jeff Byington is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2015
Barbara L Preece
Barbara L Preece marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Clever Erubere
Clever Erubere marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Taralee marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Biswajeet Apata
Biswajeet Apata marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2012
Tyler added it
Jun 14, 2011
Nancy Nurse
Nancy Nurse is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2010
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2010
Kristen marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2009
Cherice marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2009
The James Allen Free Library

Allen was 15 when his father, a businessman, was robbed and murdered. He left school to work full-time in several British manufacturing firms to help support the family. He later married Lily L. Allen and became an executive secretary for a large company. At age 38, inspired by the writings of Leo Tolstoy, he retired from employment. Allen — along with his wife and thei
More about James Allen...