Start by marking “As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2: A Compilation from the Writings of James Allen” as Want to Read:
As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2: A Compilation from the Writings of James Allen

As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2: A Compilation from the Writings of James Allen

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Edited and selected from the writings of James Allen. A glorious companion volume to the all-time inspirational classic by James Allen. Volume 1 is included.
Published November 15th 2004 by Mind Art Publishing

To ask other readers questions about As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As a Man Thinketh, Vol. 2

Bryan Sebesta
Jul 09, 2015 Bryan Sebesta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in wisdom and inspirational literature
Shelves: inspirational
"This is peace,
To conquer the love of self and lust of life,
To tear deep-rooted passion from the heart
To still the inward strife." (p. 154)

What a wonderful, wonderful book. Of the late religious leader Neal Maxwell it was said, "every sentence was a sermon." Allen is similar. The thought-to-word ratio is so dense that it is difficult to catch some of it on a quick read (which was hard because my goal was 20 pages a day). There are some gems in Allen's phrasing: "the silence of the soul," "the si
Riley
Dec 02, 2011 Riley rated it really liked it
In a book review Buzz Bradshaw said that 'As a Man Thinketh' by James Allen, “is one of the most fascinating books I have ever read,” and "the influence of that book helped to build our team—the most powerful sales organization you’ve ever witnessed.”

For some who lived a rich life to be 101 years old, I thought this might be a good book to check out, and it was well with the read. "As a Man Thinketh" is actually a short essay, which this book included, but also had related excerpts from other bo
Kaye
Dec 01, 2011 Kaye rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
This was a fascinating philosophy. I agree with much of what Mr. Allen says. Some of it was a bit over my head, and a few things I did not agree with. The following quotes appealed to me. "...the most which others can do is to afford an opportunity for our own good or evil to manifest itself; they cannot make us good or evil." " No one is, or can be, arbitrarily shut out from Heaven; each shuts himself out."
Trent
Aug 31, 2009 Trent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A very thought provoking book. I took my time getting through this one. Every page and every paragraph could pack a punch and get me to reflect on my own thought patterns. And I liked this version because more was added to it that relate to the same topic but from other writings of James Allen. It's definitely one I need to read multiple times.
Dara Hess
Jan 31, 2011 Dara Hess rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read if you are aspiring to live closer to God. It is uplifting, inspiring, thought-provoking, blunt, and written with beauty and grace in language. I have read it several times and continue to benefit.
Brian Black
Nov 21, 2009 Brian Black rated it did not like it
An incoherent and aimless book. He needs to direct his thoughts or organize them somehow . . .
Lizzie
Lizzie is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
H M
H M rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Jeff Byington
Jeff Byington is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2015
Barbara L Preece
Barbara L Preece marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Clever Erubere
Clever Erubere marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Taralee
Taralee marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Biswajeet Apata
Biswajeet Apata marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2012
Jase Adams
Jase Adams rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Tyler
Tyler added it
Jun 14, 2011
Jill Mcwillis
Jill Mcwillis rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2011
Nancy Nurse
Nancy Nurse is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2010
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2010
Blake Prier
Blake Prier rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2010
Melis
Melis rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2010
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2009
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2009
The James Allen Free Library

Allen was 15 when his father, a businessman, was robbed and murdered. He left school to work full-time in several British manufacturing firms to help support the family. He later married Lily L. Allen and became an executive secretary for a large company. At age 38, inspired by the writings of Leo Tolstoy, he retired from employment. Allen — along with his wife and thei
More about James Allen...