Start by marking “John Doe: A Rizzoli & Isles Short Story” as Want to Read:
John Doe: A Rizzoli & Isles Short Story

John Doe: A Rizzoli & Isles Short Story (Rizzoli & Isles #9.5)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  3,150 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
Razor-edge suspense in this original eBook short story from “one of the most versatile voices in thriller fiction today” (The Providence Journal)

It should have been a night to remember, but Maura Isles can’t recall a thing.

Maura is longing to ditch a ritzy cocktail party, along with her four-inch heels, when a handsome, charming stranger appears. But somewhere between
Published July 23rd 2012 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about John Doe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Doe

Gary
Jan 03, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent short story by one of my favourite authors Tess Gerritsen. Is this book really only 42 pages when there is so much packed into it. I am not a big fan of short stories as I find it is is very difficult to get into the characters and plot enough to make it interesting. But in this case the characters are well known to me due to the Rizzoli and Isles series of books so I was half way there.

Maura attends a party and meets a handsome man. They get on well while drinking champagne and the da
Mark
Apr 27, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Rizzoli and Isles
A very short story about Maura Isles who becomes victim of a sexual predator or is she the perpetrator?

She meets a nice man at a party and when she wakes up the man is found dead in a park and she does not remember.

The story could have been fleshed out a wee bit more but it is also well written as always.
Brenda
Gerritsen can weave a complex tale any time she likes! Whether it’s a normal length novel, or a short story, as this one is, the grit and tension will pull you in every time.

Dr Maura Isles is at a glitzy, champagne filled fund raiser at the Museum of Science, she is bored, her 6” heels are killing her, and she can’t wait to go home and take them off. Suddenly her spirits lift, as she is approached by a handsome young man in a tuxedo…the night starts to look brighter. When he brings her more cham
Kathleen S
Sep 20, 2016 Kathleen S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's pretend that I'm writing a series of books. I have a good idea for the base of the next book, but the story does not want to be a new book. Should I toss the idea away? No, I can turn it into a short story, sell it as a short ebook, thus keeping my character in front of my audience and make a few dollars. It is a good idea, and it works with this short story. In addition, I can add the first chapter of my next book at the end of the story and get some advertising which my reader pays for. ...more
Diane
Jul 29, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story - gotta love Rizzoli and Isles! Tess Gerritsen nails it again.

The storyline was right up my alley, some twists and turns of course. Love the chemistry between Jane and Maura and the rest of the characters too. Very different with Maura being the victim this time - different spin on things, plus a reminder of what's been going on in the previous books (which if you haven't read them yet, what's stopping you!).

Highly recommend this to all the Rizzoli and Isles fans - nice taste o
Edward Davies
Not the best short story, compared to Gerritsen's other work, but still very readable and filled with twists for the short thriller fan.
Gregory Baird
Like Freaks, this is a little bit of filler to get fans hyped up for the next full novel in the series. It's a short story only available as an eBook.

Maura attends a swank party where she meets a handsome, charming man. They talk. They flirt. They drink champagne. In the morning Maura wakes up to discover that a mystery man has been murdered. And all the evidence seems to point to Maura herself. With no memory of what happened the night before, Rizzoli and Isles must struggle with the possibili
Thom Swennes
Mar 04, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one is above the law and no one is above suspension.
Dr Maura Isles, a strong supporter of the medical and science community, and a forensic pathologist attached to the Boston Police Department was attending a formal gathering of supporters of the Boston Museum of Science when she met a man that introduced himself as Eli Kilgour. A few hours later she awakens on her sofa, still dressed in her evening attire and suffering from a splitting headache. She couldn’t remember how she got home, or ind
Sharon
Mar 19, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Maura can't find a way out of the formal do she's expected to attend, all dressed up, uncomfortable and with unusually and uncomfortable high heels, she prays for the evening to end.

When she's approached by a very attractive and charming man, she changes her mind. He gets her a glass of champagne, she thinks maybe her luck with men might have changed, they seem to be sympatico, instantly comfortable with each other. Next thing she knows, she wakes up home, alone on her sofa, not sure of the ev
Ellie
Aug 05, 2012 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
When Maura Isles meets a handsome man at a fundraiser, she welcomes a bit of harmless flirtation. Or that’s what she thinks. The next day she wakes up on her couch with no memory of how she got there. Had she really drunk that much? When Rizzoli turns up at her door with questions, Maura starts to worry. A dead man has been found in the park and he has her business card.

John Doe is a digital short in Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series. I’m not sure the plot suited itself to a shorter form
Matt
Aug 20, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gerritsen weaves a tremendous story into such a short space. I could not put it down from beginning to end and I was so pleased to see this short story appear out of nowhere. It compresses a full length Rizzoli and Isles book (or show) into an easily digestible tale that has you wondering from beginning to end.

When the personal info of Dr. Isles ends up on a dead man, everyone looks to the doctor to see if she could be behind the murder. With the help of her friend, Jane Rizzoli, Isles sets abou
Paulia
In this day in age and all the popularity of CSI shows I doubt any sane women out there still lets a complete stranger get them a drink unsupervised. All in all this was a short story made specifically to compete in the fast dominating e-reading market. Classic 'who dun it' mystery with one of the main characters as the prime suspect when a John Doe is found stabbed to death with her business card and address found in his pockets.
Tanja
>>Diese Rezension und viele mehr findet ihr auch hier: http://wort-welten.blogspot.de/

Nette kleine Unterhaltung für zwischendurch. Allerdings darf man sich eindeutig nicht zu viel erhoffen, schließlich handelt es sich hier um ein doch recht kurzes E-Book, das wie auch schon der Vorgänger, Blutrausch - ZU MEINER REZENSION - keinesfalls mit der eigentlichen Buchreihe und den darin enthaltenen Bestsellern zu vergleichen ist. Dennoch ganz nett und für den Preis auch durchaus in Ordnung.
Chrissie
Dec 10, 2013 Chrissie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
It should have been a night to remember, but Maura Isles can't recall a thing.

Maura is at a party. A handsome man approaches. He's charming and sophisticated. She flirts and drinks champagne. And then nothing. Total blackness. Nothing, that is, apart from these two facts: a man is dead and her address is found in his pocket . . .

I simply love the Rizzoli & Isles series.♥
Aian
Dec 31, 2012 Aian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Queen of the dead is a very fitting moniker for Maura. Whenever she met someone and started flirting with them, the next day or two, they would turn out dead. Except for Daniel of course. An exciting and action-packed quickread.
Dhuaine
Jan 09, 2016 Dhuaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Very nice short story, much better than the first one. It had good short introduction, appropriate mystery and thrilling factor, and very good ending that is particularly nice at this point of the series. Nothing to add, nothing to remove, I liked it a lot.
Magpie67
I loved the short even though it was also an episode on T.V. A little bit different but very enjoyable..... Can't wait to start book number 10 in the series. Love this crime fighting team!
Anke
Sep 04, 2012 Anke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read in between, especially after my two disappointing experiences earlier. For the full 5 stars it was just too short.
Sally Pearce
Aug 03, 2012 Sally Pearce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2012
Short story or full length novel, Gerritsen's books are always excellent. I wish this could have been longer! Wonderful!
Jenn Lambert
liked this story, it's about the same MO that she does.
Ally
Feb 24, 2015 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very reminiscent of Murder on The Orient Express (...spoiler?) but I enjoyed it none the less
Jim Mckitrick
Aug 19, 2012 Jim Mckitrick rated it really liked it
This should have been longer. Like everything she writes, this was great.
Herb
Mar 12, 2017 Herb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, quick read. If you're a fan, don't let this one get by you.
Margie Wolverton
Good quick read

This Rizzoli and Isles short story is another example of Tess Gerritsen's ability to tell a great tale! I couldn't put it down once I started reading it!
Char
A Quick Note (which is also a spoiler, sorry)

(view spoiler)

Why did I read this?

I read this as a nice, quick way to finish off the entire Rizzoli and Isles series. I kinda think maybe I should've read this BEFORE Last To Die though. I didn't know that when I started it though but never mind.

What did I think of this book?

I think that it's an entertaining, short re
Denise
Feb 22, 2017 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lakis Fourouklas
Aug 04, 2012 Lakis Fourouklas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Doe is an ebook short. It tells a story about how Dr. Maura Isles came to be the prime suspect in a murder investigation.

It all begins a beautiful night in Boston when Dr. Isles attends a cocktail party at the Museum of Science. She doesn’t really want to be there, but since she’s in the museum’s committee and the event is a benefit, she has no choice.

She’s bored at first but things seem to get better when she’s approached by a handsome man called Eli Kilgour, who also happens to be a gener
Randy
Nov 21, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing
A short story featuring Rizzoli & Isles.

The John Doe in this case is a murder victim found dressed in a tuxedo with multiple stab wounds. The chief suspect is Maura Isles herself.

While attending a museum fundraiser, she'd met an attractive man who fetched her a refill on her champagne. Shortly after that, she began to feel hot and dizzy. The next thing she remembers is waking up in her home lying on the couch with a monster headache and the doorbell ringing.

It's Jane Rizzoli announcing the f
Ana T.
Feb 02, 2013 Ana T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I was quite happy to discover that I still had 2 short stories to go through while I wait for Gerritsen's next full length novel to come out. The first one I found was this one - John Doe - and I am very happy to report that I really enjoyed it and thought Gerritsen was almost as good in a short format as she is in a long one. Almost, because I would rather have more of Rizzoli & Isles.

The story apparently starts shortly after Isles’ testimony sends a cop to prison. Since that was such a big
  • The Dragon and the Stars
  • Busted (Will Trent, #6.5)
  • Slices of Night (Taylor Jackson; Maggie O'Dell, #9.5; Stacy Killian, #4.5; The Malones, #5.5)
  • On Call
  • Bones in Her Pocket  (Temperance Brennan, #15.5)
  • Jordan's Stormy Banks (Body Farm, #7.5)
  • Letters to a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6.5)
  • The 1st Victim (Kovac and Liska, #3.5)
  • The 7th Month (Detective D.D. Warren #5.5)
  • The Backs (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #5)
  • The Whispers (The Whispers, #1)
  • Silent Night (Rock Harbor #5.5)
  • Takeover (Theresa MacLean, #1)
  • Mint Cookie Murder (Merry Wrath, #2)
  • Turn to Stone (Jonathan Stride, #5.6)
  • Water Mark (Micky Knight, #6)
  • The Scroll
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)