Canoe Days

Canoe Days

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Opening this book is like sitting down in a canoe, taking up a paddle, and gliding out into the summer beauty of a hidden lake. In this picture book that is as refreshing and inviting as a perfect canoe day, a fawn peeks out from the trees as ducklings fan out behind their mother. Butterflies pause and fish laze beneath the lily pads. Ruth Wright Paulsen’s sunlit paintings...more
Published July 25th 2012 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Canoe Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canoe Days

Cheryl in CC NV
Yes, that's pretty much what I experienced, growing up in rural NW Wisconsin. One thing, though, to have made it feel more real to me the illustrator should have admitted that we pretty much know what's underwater by hearsay and deduction. Glare off the surface of the water means we spend a lot of time looking at clouds, hawks, contrails, and trees on the banks, too. I'm not sure how much children would enjoy this unless they have access to a quiet forested lake.
Jenny
The language Paulsen uses is almost poetic. This describes a day out in the canoe on a peaceful, calm lake... "The water is a window into the skylake." It describes the animals that are seen. The illustrations are beautiful and calm and serene, matching the mood of the words. While my children and I have never had the experience of taking a canoe out on the lake (we have been waterskiing and I've been white water rafting...but those are different experiences), we all really enjoyed this book. It...more
Dolly
Aug 27, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A simple, soothing tale that evokes the quiet wonders of summer on a lake, sitting in a canoe. This is an entertaining story, but the illustrations are the highlight of the book. We enjoyed reading this story together.

This book was selected as one of the books for the August 2013 - Summer Outdoor Activities discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
"Opening this book is like sitting down in a canoe, taking up a paddle, and gliding out into the summer beauty of a hidden lake."

The cover flap explains the story very well. If the reader is familiar with the north woods, canoeing, fishing, or enjoying nature, they can sit back and take a deep breath of vacation. The descriptions of animal activity are distinct and true. The image and play of the fish underwater is fun and interesting. The illustrations only add to the words. The paintings feel...more
Meghan Brigan
Canoe Days is the story of taking a trip around the edge of a lake in a canoe. There are many things that can be encountered on a journey around a lake. There are racoons, dear, butterflies, fish, and many more critters that come alive through the beautiful illustrations. This book is for children ages four to eight. It is realistic fiction. I really connected with this book because canoeing is my favorite hobby in the summer. I particularly love paddling along the edges of lakes there is a lot...more
Lin Lin
The book depicts a canoe day filled with tranquility and appreciation of the nature. As my son and I read this book together, he commented, "this is exactly what we did at Raquette Lake last month. Perhaps next time we will be able to see all the animals described in this book!" Any outdoor event will make a perfect day.
Amber Adams
This book told the story about being out in nature and how different animals live in their habitats. The author uses Personification (over the playground where fish play) and Metaphor (The water is a window into the sky lake.) This helps students get creative with their characters and make their stories different.
Kena Kump
I have read many Paulsen books, and love his works, so I wanted to read one of his picture books. I felt he used sharp adjectives and wrote about ideas he was familiar with, but it may not be a book that all children would be interested in. Also, the illustrations were not in bright colors.
Amber
I'm not as fond of the text on this one but love the illustrations. This book is a family favorite though because it reminds us SO MUCH of where we grew up. Really captures the essence.
Maggie
Canoe Days is a story to share with grades K-2. This story can be integrated into lessons about the seasons of the year, animals and nature.
Cindy
Apr 20, 2008 Cindy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, Parents, 0-12 year olds
A lovely picture book.
The illistrations were very serene as you are reading the story you can imagine that you are indeed in that canoe.
Marge
Canoe ride in the very early morning when you can see all the animals - dear, fox racoon, mallard, etc
Tommy
I wanted to read this book because I have never been on a canoe before. I liked this book a lot.
Lana Krumwiede
This book is a good example of how word choice can set the mood.
Beth
A fawn, fox, raccoon, snake and more can be seen on the canoe ride.
Don Gubler
Good portrayal of what it can be like.
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve...more
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)