Start by marking “The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts” as Want to Read:
The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts

The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  46 reviews
This empowering exercise guide is big on attitude, giving plus-size women the motivation and information they need to move their bodies and improve their health.

Hanne Blank, proud fat girl and personal trainer, understands the physical and emotional roadblocks that overweight women face in the word of exercise. in this one-of-a-kind guide that combines exercise advice with
Published December 26th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts

Amanda
I've been struggling for the last few years with how my body has changed and how I look and feel. Sometimes I feel like a badass with swagger to prove it. Sometimes I feel like my body is just a meatbag I have to drag around as a place to keep my brain. Oftentimes I feel ashamed, and I am goddamn done with that noise. Nabbed this from the library and so far it is an empowering voice for acceptance. I am myself. My body is part of me, and I (inside my body) am capable of mighty things.
Julian Griffith
Disclosure: I won a free, signed copy of this book by participating in a comment thread at Hanne Blank's blog.

That said: this book is great. It's written in Hanne Blank's usual friendly, no-nonsense, and very, very funny style, which some readers may be familiar with from books like Virgin: The Untouched History and Big Big Love, Revised: A Sex and Relationships Guide for People of Size. It's full of encouragement about exercise that has absolutely nothing to do with losing weight or inches, and
Kirsten
This book is just AWESOME.

Disclaimer: I am not the target demographic for this book, in that I fall within the range of what's generally considered "not fat" and I have not had the social experience of being considered overweight. I say this just to make it clear that my perspective is from outside that lived experience, and thus there are some things that this book might be lacking that I'm just not aware of.

Ok, disclaimer over. I loved this book. I recently started voluntarily exercising for t
Emma
I really enjoyed reading this book as I felt a lot of it was relevant to me and how I'm feeling about exercise/being active lately. The whole book has a great attitude which I feel I've picked up on to give me an even stronger feeling that I shouldn't feel embarrassed about getting out there and doing whatever activity I want to. There's a list of resources to make things easier (including a mention of the Couch25k site which I'd already decided to do and a 200situp site which I'm now also going ...more
This is a good guide for beginners - beginning exercisers, beginning size-accepters - written with gentleness and good humor.

I like the resource guide for clothing, sports bras, etc.
I really like the list of specific exercises to help you get strong enough to get up off the floor.
I wish there were more specific workouts, like, a Couch to 5Kish program for people who haven't exercised ever (or in a long, long time).
I like the funny, friendly, and encouraging tone that Blank has in this (and her o
Susan
This is a very 101 book. The author's characteristic gentle humor shines through and makes it a charming, friendly approach to what might be a difficult subject. Ms. Blank makes an effort to be inclusive and talks about ways to work around potential physical issues one might have as a fitness beginner or a differently abled person.

I gave the book five stars because it's successful in pointing someone to resources they might want and framing fitness as a positive thing that does not revolve aroun
Stephanie
I think this is a great book for someone who is just getting into size acceptance, and just getting into exercise, but as I am heavily into both, it didn't really help me much. I was hoping to learn more about other exercises from a fat girl's point of view, but it's a bit vague. However, I do appreciate reading a book on exercise that doesn't talk about weight loss the entire time!
Spook Harrison
Very informative and positive. Breezy chat and really useful discussions on body movement, body image, our bodies in the world...overall, a good read! Glad my library had it!
Suzette
Giving me great ideas about how to workout now that no longer commute by bike! And making me feel good about being a big girl that just likes to move her body.
Alison
This is a fantastic book for those of us who have ever felt like we can't get out there and move our selves because we're fat, whatever level of fat that means.

There is a lot of "rah rah" here but it's not bullshit or trite, it's soild and meaningful and really does have an impact on your self esteem. The advice is real- how to get off the floor, for example. If you lack trunk strength and you realize that you can't get up, that could be embarassing so this could be seriously important info.

Some
piranha
the 4-star rating is for the intent, and for how encouraging this book likely is for a self-conscious fat woman who's been abused about her size all her life, but is contemplating exercise. heck, i wish the title wasn't so strongly gendered because plenty of fat guys i know could use the information here just as well, even though they don't get quite the same type of grief. furthermore i would recommend it for people who might not have an issue with size, but who might have other body issues, su ...more
Kristen

Hanne Blank is someone whose writing I have enjoyed for almost a decade now. She appeared with some regularity on the LiveJournal blogs of other authors I read regularly, and her confidence and intellect were readily apparent. I started following her there at the mostly-defunct LJ, and I have made it a point to read her books at they come out.

This book was one in which I was particularly interested, since Blank's blog entry from back-in-the-day about being a fat girl on a bicycle was particular
Beth
I saw this title in my library's collection, and though like other readers I don't identify as "fat" (just a little overweight), I was looking for a fitness book that would motivate me for reasons other than weight loss, because there are SO MANY other reasons than weight loss to exercise!

I ended up really enjoying the book. I have been an on and off gym rat for years (mostly off, lately), but there was still new material in here for me. Most of it was the less technical stuff: about how we all
Emily
I think this book has forever changed my relationship to exercise, my body, and moving through the world. I started reading it after my neurologist suggested aerobic activity to help alleviate a migraine condition I was developing. Having consumed a lot of Healthy at Every Size and Fat Activism content on the internet, I was uncomfortable starting an exercise program out of a sense that it was a thinly veiled attempt to make me lose weight. But this book made me feel in charge of my own wellbein ...more
K.C.
I really liked this! I never thought I was one for self-help kinds of books, but that is not what this book really is. I would say it's motivational. It makes the reader question their own reasons for wanting to move more, and acts as a guide for what the reader wants to do or not do, and in what way might work best for them.

This book doesn't deal with the BS of working out to get thin, but instead working out to take back ownership of your body. The author makes it clear that if you do not wan
catharine
Have you ever felt like you needed to get in better shape before you would be ready to exercise with "the real athletes"? Or feel like you look too gross in your workout clothes to show your face at the gym?

While my athletic prowess is far far ahead of the main audience for this book, I took two great things away from this book:

1) It is not your job to "prettify" the world for other people. You do not owe it to people to make sure that they only get to look at people that they find attractive.
Whitney
It might sound dramatic, but being fat in public, especially trying to do movement (walking, dancing, sports, gym, ect) while being fat in public, often IS an incendiary act, at least judging by the strangers making comments, yelling, or throwing a ball from a moving car (things that have happened to me personally). This book is specifically catered to fat people, but I think it can benefit anyone and everyone. The takeaway that I got from this book is important reminder that "taking care of my ...more
Samantha Davenport
Premise: people of all sizes should have physical activity in their lives not to lose weight, look more attractive or become "fit" but because movement is good for body, mind and spirit. Activity should also be fun. This book does an excellent job of supporting that premise with concrete information. Furthermore she elaborates on why that premise isn't always shared by everyone and what to do when it isn't...all with a light, accepting and occasionally humorous touch. I particularly like the use ...more
Cory
This is filled with practical advice, and actually has some pretty radical ideas about exercise, body image, and fat acceptance. It made me want to get my body moving.
Amy
This was a fun book that really helps to break down the psychological barriers many overweight women have put up that prevent them (us) from moving their (our) bodies. For me it wasn't as useful, because I already know that I love to hike, regularly walk to work and enjoy CrossFit. It was reassuring though that the "moving" in and of itself is what is emphasized in this book, not losing weight or worse, attempting to achieve a standard of beauty that is not possible for most people (even if they ...more
Wendy Wagner
Lots of body-positive information in this. Some of the advice is for every size and shape!
Sharon
I don't think I am exactly the target audience for this book, but I still thought it was helpful.
Ginny
I am a huge (pun intended) Hanne Blank fan. I feel like she gets it right. While geared towards fat chicks, I think this book has great advice for anyone who wants to start moving their butt around regularly but has issues where exercise always feels like a punishment or chore, where memories of past attempts and failures are difficult to overcome, where self-consciousness (regardless of weight) is a barrier, where you don't want to be pressured into counting calories, inches, and kilos.
Penny Ramirez
This was ok - not exactly what I'd expected. Sound advice on being active no matter what shape you're currently in - not a "how to get in shape" book, but not a "I'm just going to accept that I am fat and do nothing about it" book either. There are many issues that overweight people face, and this book addressed them all, in a sometimes overly frank manner. A good attitude adjuster for those who feel they are stuck because they aren't fit enough to exercise.
Kim
I really like the writer's style, and if you are new to exercising while fat, this is definitely a great book to check out. The only thing is, I feel like there are many "how to get started" books out there (although maybe not with the same fat-acceptance theme), and what I really need is the "okay, you've been doing this awhile, now what?" exercising while fat book. But still, I greatly enjoyed the book and would recommend it.
Bess and Morgan The Bookends
I love this book. I checked it out from the library and inhaled it. You definitely need to read it; you’ll love it too. I don’t care if you’re not the target audience- apologetic non-fat non-girls can get something out of it too.
Why was it so great? Find out in our review!
Erin
I adored this book. Blank rights about all aspects of exercise, from learning what you like and how to find a good place, to being properly dressed, and also how to ignore the haters.

I love that she constantly promotes self respect and self-esteem, and acknowledges that people will judge, but gives good advice on how to deal with it.

It's funny and has some great pointers also.
Melissa
Hanne Blank is the perfect unapologetic fat girl! She has a great fun attitude even when discussing this heavy subject. This book is a great guide to beginning exercisers, whether they be fat or not. I loved that Hanne gave me permission to call my body movement whatever I want - if the word exercise doesn't feel right I can say bounce (my favorite), stroll, spin, etc.
Leslied
I really found this refreshing. Imagine going into a gym because you want to exercise and feel better and NOT set a weight loss goal? Seems simple but hard to get away from! I recommend this to anyone who is fit and yet not a size 4 as well as to anyone who wants to do something for themselves physically but feels they have to justify their lack of skinny at the end!
Kim
I love Hanne Blank, and I loved this book. For those afraid of exercise this really takes the sting out of the gym. It also rarely uses the "E" word instead encouraging you to think about it in terms of moving instead.
Perhaps not as helpful is you already have an exercise regime, but a great read nonetheless
  • Hot & Heavy: Fierce Fat Girls on Life, Love & Fashion
  • Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • The Fat Studies Reader
  • Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now
  • Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • What's Wrong with Fat?
  • Read My Hips: How I Learned to Love My Body, Ditch Dieting, and Live Large
  • Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body
  • The Fat Girl's Guide to Life
  • Yoga Body Diet
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • Bodies out of Bounds: Fatness and Transgression
  • Scoot Over, Skinny: The Fat Nonfiction Anthology
  • Watching What We Eat: The Evolution of Television Cooking Shows
  • Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works
Hanne Blank is a writer and historian.
Periodicals which have featured her work include Penthouse, In These Times, Southwest Art, Lilith, Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, the Baltimore CityPaper, the Boston Phoenix, Santa Fean Magazine, and others. Her short fiction and essays are frequently anthologized.

Ms. Blank's work has been reviewed in The New York Times, The Chicago Sun-Times, The W
More about Hanne Blank...
Virgin: The Untouched History Straight: The Surprisingly Short History Of Heterosexuality Big Big Love: A Sourcebook on Sex for People of Size and Those Who Love Them Zaftig: Well Rounded Erotica Best Transgender Erotica

“Locker rooms are not, in actual fact, the secret clubhouses of the Effortlessly Thin Women’s Fat-Lady Harassment Society.” 0 likes
“Personally, I have learned to welcome the sensation of boredom when I’m working out because boredom can actually provide opportunities that are relaxing and, dare I say it, even useful.” 0 likes