Start by marking “What Color Is Your Parachute? 2013: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers” as Want to Read:

The world's most popular job-search book is updated for 2013 to tailor its long-trusted guidance with up-to-the-minute information and advice for today's job-hunters and career-changers.

Career expert Richard (“Dick”) N. Bolles has now written forty-one books all with the same title: What Color Is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers. In or
Published August 14th 2012 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2013, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Color Is Your Parachute? 2013

Jen Cloos
This was an interesting book, but A) I shouldn't have read it at the same time as another career book and B) I liked the format of the other career book better. This is more about sitting down and writing while the other (I don't know what I want to do, but I know it's not this) had more quizzes. They both had their positives and negatives, but I felt this one gave a lot of examples, which could have been pared down a bit (I get it - 3 illustrative stories aren't necessary) and went into more de ...more
Jenny
Feb 16, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-read
I loved the overall message of this book: don't just look at lists of available jobs, and apply here and there. Instead, take the time to explore deeply within in order to determine really what you're called to be doing with your time on the planet. Figure out the kind of places and people you'd like to work with, connect with them, and then build your own job that's perfect for you! I saw someone do that once, at my old job, so I've seen how it can work. The book contains lots of thinking and w ...more
David
Dec 28, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is the 2013 edition of "What Color Is Your Parachute?", I'm writing this review in December 2014. When I first started the book in July 2013 I was unaware of the amount of work it would take to make it through to the end. That is why I'm only now finishing it now, yet I got so much out of it that I plan on purchasing a newer edition in 2016 or 2017 and revisiting Bolles' words of advice, as well as going through all of the exercises again.

Even though this book's description reads,
Andrew Frueh
Jun 26, 2013 Andrew Frueh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Every bit the resource I'd hoped it would be. I came to this book as someone who hadn't been job hunting in a while, and realized the game had changed significantly since the recession. When I graduated college, the way that everyone hunted for jobs was via Internet postings. Fast forward a decade, and now algorithms parse these applications rather than humans, resulting in an average success rate for job applicants of 4%. That's pretty bleak. So in this edition of his book (I was impressed to l ...more
Molli
Jun 16, 2013 Molli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books where its effectiveness depends on your situation. While the book is marketed at both the jobless and the career changer, much of its advice (at least in the '13 edition), seems geared at people who are either fed up with the work they're currently doing or completely clueless as to what they want to do with their lives. For the unemployed that just want to earn a paycheck, particularly those looking for unskilled or entry-level work, this book is less helpful. Those t ...more
Jonathan Kamp
Aug 05, 2013 Jonathan Kamp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you really need a day job, this book tells you how to obtain one. I used these books to prepare for retirement from active duty in the mid-1990s, and in 12 years of day jobs after retiring. Each annual edition is different, with constant updates as the job search world changes, and the series is, I guess, one of those best kept secrets - because when I tell job-seekers about it, no one seems to have heard of it - although it has always been a perennial best-selling book. Wild, when you stop t ...more
Lori
Jul 06, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've heard of this book off and on over the years, but never picked it up. Author edits and re-publishes each year. Holiday weekend allowed me to check this out of the library so I could read and work through the numerous exercises that need to be completed along the way in order for the book to be useful. Handy, self-paced guidebook to get at the root of who you are and what you want out of life. Amazingly helpful in putting together your life puzzle -- what you like to do, why you like to do t ...more
Shannon
Jul 08, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jodi Podhaisky
Shelves: read-business
Great book! I read this book due to a recommendation as an outcome from a return-to-work training session. I was reluctant at first since I've read this book at least twice in the 90s. I was surprised with the current info, internet references, and modern approaches listed in the book. It reads well (fast) and is set up to pick and choose the areas that suit the reader best for optimum results. I basically read it in its entirety and found it quite inspirational.

I recommend this book to ANYONE
Brianna
I am not a person who reads non-fiction things by choice very often, and I'm even farther from a person who reads books about self-improvement or professional development. But for one of my classes, Marketing You, we're using the workbook that goes along with this book, so I thought I should read the real book because I have the time, I'm looking for a job, and maybe it'll be helpful. Basically, this book is extremely accessible, really neat to read, and actually kind of fun. I really enjoyed re ...more
Paulo
Jan 09, 2016 Paulo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Cynthia
Mar 31, 2014 Cynthia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Some of the advice was really good, but I wish he'd gone a little more in-depth and provided more real life examples in his book. You have to treat this book like a workbook and do all of the exercises to get the full use out of it.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
This took me a lot longer to read than I had originally intended.

Great book. This was a huge help to me as I was looking for a job. The activities and tests you use to fill out the "flower exercise" were hugely helpful in helping me realize what my strengths were, what I wanted and needed in a job and what I should steer clear of. I highly recommend this book to anybody who is job searching, career changing or just trying to figure out what they want to be when they grow up.
Gina
Oct 18, 2012 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the 2012 copy, but was unable to find it on goodreads, so I marked this as 2013. This book was not helpful for me because I don't know what I want to do/what i am qualified for. I was hoping to read something like: if you got a degree in this, have skills in this, and enjoy this... try this! But this book is all about thank you notes, duh! and making lists of your personality. It had some helpful hints and websites, but this was not what I was looking for.
Delia
May 09, 2013 Delia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended to read this book in 1997, again in 2003 and didn't buy a version until 2012. THAT WAS A STRATEGIC MISTAKE! This book is the bomb for job hunting techniques. Every page gives you a fresh idea. I don't know why this book isn't popular in the UK, in the States it's common knowledge.

If you are looking for a job now, or think you will in the next 3 years - do yourself a favour and spend the 16.99 on the 2013 edition. Don't be an idiot like me.
Rob McFarren
Jul 24, 2013 Rob McFarren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid, practical, and helpful. An easy read. While it may not seem to provide anything life-altering, the practical exercises and aspects that move through help you to know yourself much better. This, in turn, helps the job-hunt and career change. Several helpful sections such as on dealing with depression during the job hunt, knowing your particular makeup, and interview tips.
Liz
Apr 11, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The exercises contained in this book provided a great starting point for identifying my core values, as well as thinking about where I wanted to take my career at a time when I was pretty confused about that. I'd recommend the Parachute books to anyone in a similar situation.
Nicholas Alexander
The main thing this book did for me was restore my faith in my ability to find work. Richard N. Bolles is a truly encouraging voice is a discouraging job market.

I was unemployed for a long time and had sort of given up. Now I'm working again.
Dennis
Jun 28, 2013 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've done a lot of soul searching between this book and "what are you really meant to do." This book as more practical hands on exercises but both try to get to the core of what lights your fire. Noe lets see if I can find that role in life.
Agent Smith
Have a 2008 edition that I never once opened & is still sitting on the shelf. What encouraged me to read the 2013 edition, I'm not sure. The book had some interesting points & ideals. I also picked up the online job hunting book.
Sharon
Sep 02, 2013 Sharon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most annoying book that I have read in a long time. Telling someone to look something up in the yellow pages is beyond comprehension. Add the poor grammar, and god talk and that just makes it unbearable.
Kate
From my background in career services, it was about time I read this book. It is a must read for anyone thinking about a career change, going back to grad school or just wanting to reflect on their life. Awesome book!
Kali
Mar 08, 2015 Kali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful in getting to know yourself in what you need and desire in transitioning to a new job/career. Looking inward in this way is most of what is required here in this book and super useful in job hunting.
Joana
Feb 28, 2014 Joana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i had to read this book for class and it was a pretty good book about job hunting. its not amazing, but definitely a good read if you want to increase your marektability :)
Crystal
Mar 06, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty useful. I worked through all the exercises over a month of New Year values/goals/plan clarification-focused directed journaling and consider it time well-spent.
Khris Sellin
I can't give this a rating but this didn't do it for me. I still don't know what color my parachute is, AND I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
Aaron
May 20, 2013 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much hand holding for me and far too rigid. Gives about 20,000 examples of ways to accomplish something, of which I feel very few would ever work.
Brendy
Dec 12, 2012 Brendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The personality test was useful, but this was not exactly what I was looking for. Do what you are is a little more helpful for me.
Monica
Apr 01, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I worried it might be cheesy or shallow, but it was actually super informative, well-researched, insightful, very helpful!
Laura Ved
Sep 23, 2013 Laura Ved rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Really helped me have a positive outlook on my job search and discover more about what careers are right for me.
Lisa
Dec 11, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is one I always figured I'd read sometime. It was ok, but not compelling enough that I finished it.
  • The 3 Big Questions for a Frantic Family: A Leadership Fable about Restoring Sanity to the Most Important Organization in Your Life
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • "Headhunter" Hiring Secrets: The Rules of the Hiring Game Have Changed . . . Forever!
  • How to Write a KILLER LinkedIn Profile...and 18 Mistakes to Avoid
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • Job Interviews For Dummies
  • The Power of Prayer™ to Change Your Marriage
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • The Google Resume: How to Prepare for a Career and Land a Job at Apple, Microsoft, Google, or Any Top Tech Company
  • The Likeability Factor: How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams
  • Middle School: The Inside Story: What Kids Tell Us, But Don't Tell You
  • Gaming: Essays On Algorithmic Culture
  • Professional Software Development: Shorter Schedules, Higher Quality Products, More Successful Projects, Enhanced Careers
  • Strategic Management of Technological Innovation
  • Raising A Modern Day Princess
  • Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos