Start by marking “The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home” as Want to Read:
The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home

The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  16 reviews
America’s love affair with Chinese food dates back more than a century. Today, such dishes as General Tso’s Chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork, and Egg Rolls are as common as hamburgers and spaghetti. Probably at this moment, a drawer in your kitchen is stuffed with Chinese takeout menus, soy sauce packets, and wooden chopsticks, right?

But what if you didn’t have to eat your
Published December 11th 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Chinese Takeout Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chinese Takeout Cookbook

Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I so love Chinese Take out food. Love the whole buffet thing too. Hmm now I'm hungry. Anyways, this cookbook actually looks like I can make some of the recipes. I made this one last night. Dan Dan Noodles...

Yes I improvised and threw in two different kinds of noodles. I was out of scallions too. Oh well..they actually turned out well. The kidlet really liked them.
There are several other recipes in this book that I would love to try. Including Mongolian Beef, General Tso's Chicken and hot-n-sou
Sharon
Only made two recipes so far, but just those two earn this book a perfect rating. For as long as I've been cooking, I've been dying--DYING, I tell you!--to learn how to make junky, takeout-style Chinese food at home. I've experimented with virtually every recipe I could find online, but nothing ever satisfied the same way a giant serving of strip-mall buffet food would. I just figured it was the lack of MSG...or some other mystery ingredient I didn't want to know about.

We got perfect General Tso
Kathrynn
I love this little cookbook! It truly has "Chinese takeout" recipes, i.e., Pork and Shrimp Egg Rolls; Classic Barbecued Spareribs; Crab Rangoon, Pork and Mushroom Dumplings; Fried Pork and Shrimp Wontons; Egg Drop Soup; Hot and Sour Soup; Wonton Soup; Chinese Chicken Salad; Kung Pao Chicken; Lemon Chicken, Cashew Chicken, General Tso's Chicken, Stir-Fried Sesame Chicken; Moo Goo Gai Pan; Orange Chicken; Spicy Black Bean Chicken; Beef with Broccoli; Mongolian Beef; Sweet and Sour Pork;
Garlic Shr
Kim
Sep 02, 2014 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: diy
When I picked this up at the library today, the librarian was quite excited about it, and said she'd have to write it on her list of books to get. I can't remember where, but I came across a review for it just recently, although the book was published in 2002.

The book starts with some pantry essentials, before getting into recipes, each with a little background. Along with old favorites like chop suey and General Tsou, there are recipes for food I had never heard of before. I can't wait to make
Mike Watson
So good. If you look up the author's web site, you quickly see that she is qualified to talk to you all day about the intricacies of authentic Chinese cooking. That is not what this book is about. It is about making goddamned beef and broccoli that tastes just like your favorite Chinese restaurant by your house. Everything I've made out of it has been a success.
Ashley
There are quite a few awesome recipes in this book that I would love to try, and one my aunt makes every year around Christmas to send to us! Now I can make it too!!
Autumn
Not sure I'm ever going to take the time to make my own scallion pancakes, but it's certainly enlightening to know how it's done. I did notice one copyediting error -- Jennifer 8 Lee, who wrote a great book on the history of Americanized Chinese food, was referred to as Jennifer B. Lee. That made me sad because this book certainly used a lot of her work as context for the recipes.
I took a dumpling class taught by this author before her book was published. She really has taken the time to learn her craft. Every recipe I've made from the book so far has been great. It does help if you have an Asian grocery store nearby for ingredients, as some are not easy to find in regular grocery stores.
JDK1962
In terms of layout and recipes, this looks excellent. Emphasis seems to be in the right places, buying guide makes good and specific recommendations of authentic ingredients. I'm planning to make the Dan Dan Noodles tonight, but I saw at least a half-dozen recipes that I can't wait to try.
Jennifer Lycus
Great recipe book for an introduction to Chinese cooking. I have tried several of the recipes and all have turned out well and have great flavors, though not exactly the same taste as when served at the restaurant. I will continue to use this book often for Chinese cooking.
Abbie
I've been cooking from this book for several weeks and everything I've made has been wonderful. Everything. The wonton soup was a revelation.
Marie
Easy-to-prepare recipes of pretty much everyone's favorite Chinese dishes. Yum!
Lisa
Makes cooking Chinese food seem simple. I'd like to own this one. Nice photographs, too.
Marlee
Wonderful read but will find one day a nice chinese restaurent.
Beka
This has all the classic takeout dishes, but nothing stood out to me.
Marianthi
really is ridiculously easy to follow
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jenny's Book Life
Jenny's Book Life marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Linda Burroughs
Linda Burroughs marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Salman Durrani
Salman Durrani marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
  • Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao
  • The Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork, and More Favorites
  • Curtis Stone's What's For Dinner? Simple Recipes for Every Night of the Week
  • Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook
  • The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle
  • Pati's Mexican Table: The Secrets of Real Mexican Home Cooking
  • Martha Stewart's Cakes: Our First-Ever Book of Bundts, Loaves, Layers, Coffee Cakes, and more
  • Old-School Comfort Food: The Way I Learned to Cook
  • 100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know: Engagement Chicken and 99 Other Fabulous Dishes to Get You Everything You Want in Life
  • Farm to Fork: Cooking Local, Cooking Fresh
  • One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • My Year in Meals
  • Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals
  • Joy the Baker Homemade Decadence: Irresistibly Sweet, Salty, Gooey, Sticky, Fluffy, Creamy, Crunchy Treats
  • The Epicurious Cookbook: More Than 250 of Our Best-Loved Four-Fork Recipes for Weeknights, Weekends & Special Occasions