Start by marking “Come Alive” as Want to Read:
Come Alive

Come Alive

Stephanie believes in stories. But even though she puts pen to paper daily and creates stories of change and hope, she fails to see the possibilities within her own life. Abused, alone and invisible to those around her, she struggles with self-worth and believing in another world - one of love and safety and healing. There are those in her life who believe in redemption ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Rhizome Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Come Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Alive

Caitlin
Sep 26, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
A friend was sexually assaulted last weekend.

That’s right. Sexually assaulted.

I knew something was wrong when I saw her. The way she was uncomfortable in her own skin, shifting constantly on the sofa. Her eyes were dull, a sharp contrast to the way they usually dance with a hidden laughter.

It took an hour for her story to come out. And even then it was shaky.

“..and he…touched me…”

The words came out in half sobs.

No, no, no. This couldn’t be true. Please Jesus, don’t let it be true.

But it was. She
Tonja
Jan 25, 2013 Tonja rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received a free review copy of this book in PDF format through Story Cartel.

Stephanie is every girl – looking for acceptance. But, her world is unlike most girls her age. There is no loving family – there is no protection from those put in position to do so. Her struggle to do the right thing and find that light at the end of her journey is one that is awe-inspiring and heart-breaking. With caring people on the outside to assist her – and the colors of the sunset to remind her – St
Jenn LeBow
Sep 01, 2012 Jenn LeBow rated it really liked it
So many wonderful bloggers I follow have books coming out. BooMama, BigMama, Annie Downs, Sarah Bessey, Elizabeth Esther, Ed Cyzewski, and on and on. Plus the marvelous and very funny Lisa McKay released her memoir, Love At The Speed Of E-Mail, in May, which I promptly devoured on my Kindle and tweeted to her in real time exactly where I was in the book so she could permanently classify me as a potential stalker enjoy my reading experience by proxy. Then I bought a hard copy. I know the Kindle ...more
Shae
Jan 13, 2013 Shae rated it it was amazing
Just when you think the darkness cannot get any deeper, Stephanie is suffocated with disaster. Just when you think there is no way out, Stephanie takes a breath and decides to believe in the power of story and of hope.

Come Alive is alive – the words will rip straight through you. Stephanie’s story is one of abuse and broken trust. She is a girl with a story, but without a voice; this book speaks for so many who will never get to tell their story at all. At times it took all courage to keep turni
Shaney
Nov 09, 2012 Shaney rated it really liked it
I would give this book five stars out of five for the story, and 3.5 for the writing/plot development, thus my overall four stars out of five.

The importance of this story alone is enough for me to recommend it to everyone. It's one thing to hear statistics about human trafficking, it's something else entirely to read one person's story. While fictional, Stephanie gives the reader someone to relate to, so that when she is abused, you feel angry and upset. This book is needed if for no other reaso
Leigh  Kramer
Nov 04, 2012 Leigh Kramer rated it it was amazing
This is a book people need to read. Because of the subject matter, it is not an easy read but it is a worthy one. Eyes need to be opened, ears need to hear, and hearts must be broken. Without that, Come Alive remains only a story and girls like Stephanie will remain trapped, abused, forsaken.

Ramirez guides her readers through the dark, depraved world of human trafficking. We are tempted to believe that sort of thing happens overseas. Not here. Never here.

At times while reading Stephanie's story
Joe Sewell
Jan 25, 2013 Joe Sewell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone!
Recommended to Joe by: Story Cartel
Shelves: story-cartel

This book is one that is a must-read for everybody. Human trafficking happens. Slavery didn't go away with Lincoln or Martin Luther King, Jr. It just went underground, and expanded into something even more dangerous, lurid, and damaging for those caught in the trap.

The book's protagonist, Stephanie, is one caught in just such a trap. Her story is engaging from the start, but as it develops, one has to wonde
Sep 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Come Alive is centered on Stephanie, a 17 year old girl who should be enjoying her senior year of high school. Instead, she is just trying to survive it. Throughout this novel, we learn about the true horrors she faces each day. An uncaring alcoholic mother is bad enough, but her abusive manipulative father ensures Stephanie lives in a constant state of pain, anguish, and helplessness.

This story shines a light on the horrific yet all too common practice of human trafficking. We like to think the
Jenina Jill Sy
Jan 17, 2013 Jenina Jill Sy rated it really liked it
I am a fan of books that tackle issues on human nature and I absolutely liked the way this book did. Much like novels like "Perks of Being a Wallflower" and "13 Reasons Why," this novel shows how we can be oblivious about our surroundings and about others.

As for the story per se, it was quite original. The main protagonist, Stephanie Tiller, was very relatable but in an unexpected way. Her situation was very drastic, having been sexually abused and fighting her circumstances with so much resilie
Regine Darius
Jan 22, 2013 Regine Darius rated it it was amazing
Reminiscent of Matilda, Come Alive marries the beauty and the ugly of this broken world easily to mirror reality. Many times, I was shocked by the atrocities portrayed in this book but I remember this fiction isn't too far from the truth. And the same can be said with the glimpses of hope seen through the pages. The book teaches that even if it looks too dark, even if it looks too helpless, even if it looks like you can't survive, "those storm clouds don't stand a chance against the sun." You ...more
Lisa
Oct 26, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
I loved this book - it made me ask questions, took me into memories of growing up and watching someone I loved deeply deal with the trauma of having been abused as a child. Themes of redemption always thrill me when I read, and this book was full of those. My only complaint is that I felt like it ended too soon - I wanted to know what came next - what happened after the rescue. I wanted to follow along on the journey of piecing a life back together in new ways.
Katie Axelson
Feb 10, 2013 Katie Axelson rated it really liked it
Elora has chosen to tell a difficult, compelling story that is the unfortunate reality for too many people in today's world. Yet she didn't shy away from the horrors of sex trafficking and the hope of rescue. From a writing point of a view, another once-over could have tightened the prose a little more but overall it was well-written.
Mikayla
Sep 17, 2012 Mikayla rated it it was amazing
I actually read this book three times with space in between each. The topics covered and the words used just struck different and more beautiful notes each time. It is truly well written!
Alexis
Jan 14, 2013 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2013
The story is great!
The writing and grammar just need some polishing.
Caroline
Apr 04, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) This book gets better as you continue reading. At the very beginning, I was intrigued by the vivid descriptions the author shares on sunrises and immediate inclusion of such tumultuous feeling.

"...the light blue began to mix with the red to create a rainbow of radiating light standing in stark contrast to the few starts remaining stubbornly behind" (p. 6).

While Stephanie felt real (and full of emotion) from the beginning, it took a couple of chapters for me to really get involved in
Yoanna
Feb 19, 2013 Yoanna rated it it was ok
There's a great idea and a very good story here, but I'd rather wait for the re-edit the author promised. This edition needs a lot of work.
Holli
Mar 28, 2013 Holli rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful insight into the world of human trafficking. Very eye-opening, real, relatable. Put simply, a great read!
Jyllian
Jyllian rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Brenna
Brenna rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2014
Mirel
Mirel rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Molly McAdams
Molly McAdams rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Prudence
Prudence rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2013
Thor Aegir
Thor Aegir rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Elora Ramirez
Oct 15, 2012 Elora Ramirez rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kimber
Kimber rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Taylor Millender
Taylor Millender rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2012
Ashley Rankin
Ashley Rankin is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2012
Kalyn Waller
Kalyn Waller marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2012
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2012
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2012
Stace
Stace marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2012
Ashley Roady
Ashley Roady marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2012
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Robert Zimmermann
Robert Zimmermann marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
KP
KP marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Melissa Goski
Melissa Goski marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Caitlin Rowe
Caitlin Rowe marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Elizabeth Ray
Elizabeth Ray marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Jodi Lammiman
Jodi Lammiman marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Elora Ramirez has been telling stories her whole life.

She taught herself how to read and cut her teeth on books from Dr. Seuss and writing anywhere she could find the space -- including her Fischer Price kitchenette, the pages of picture books, and Highlights Magazines.

She's matured since then, writing instead in the margins of her books and on the mirrors of her apartment.

Founder of Awake the B
More about Elora Nicole Ramirez...