Start by marking “Batman/Deathblow: After The Fire (Deluxe Edition)” as Want to Read:
Batman/Deathblow: After The Fire (Deluxe Edition)

Batman/Deathblow: After The Fire (Batman)

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  37 reviews
One is the World's Greatest Detective with unlimited resources for his vigilante quest for justice. The other is a soldier; a blackopskiller who does whatever it takes for the greater good. What happens when the two meet? We'll never know because MichaelCray, code-name Deathblow, is dead. The Dark Knight faces the daunting task of finishing a job that someone else started ...more
Published February 26th 2013 by DC Comics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Batman/Deathblow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman/Deathblow

Anne

I loved the artwork, but unless you're really wanting to read a Batman vs. Spy comic skip it.
It had potential, but by the time I got to the end I was totally uninterested in anything that happened to any of the characters. Plus the ending was a bit confusing, and yet...I didn't care enough to go back an re-read anything to find out what I maybe missed. I have a feeling I didn't actually miss anything though.
I think it was one of those endings that was supposed to make you go No Way!
B
Mark Desrosiers
I couldn't make heads nor tails of the plot: something about Batman going undercover as Deathblow (I think) in order to capture some pyrokinetic government agent (I think) who chopped off some dude's hand and left it in a tollbooth change-bucket.

By far the weakest Brian Azzarello I've read. Still, Lee Bermejo's ultra-precise artwork is fun, even despite his annoying tendency to draw Bruce Wayne as a hybrid of Henry Rollins and General William Westmoreland.
Gavin
This was a dark, gritty, very well drawn book. However, it's not a Batman book at all. It is, and it probably helped sell quite a few, but it's just an excuse for a crossover with a Wildstorm Universe character, where they don't really crossover at all.
Confused yet? Yup, me too. It takes place at 2 different time periods 10 years apart, with Deathblow tracking one man, and Batman tracking the same 10 yrs later...only connection other than that is that one of Deathblow's contacts (CIA/Black-Ops)
Alan
Maybe I shouldn't try to plow through a mini-series reading in bed and falling asleep. The attraction is not the crossover, but Brain Azzarello's writing. While I have a couple of trades left to go I like 100 Bullets, and I thought his Luthor mini-series was pretty good. Here he weaves a nice noirish type of tale between events that take place 10 years apart and competing intelligence agencies.

And, as someone who never read Deathblow's series Azzarello made the name and character at least make
Skjam!
Mar 16, 2013 Skjam! rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brian Azzarello fans, Batman completists, fans of Nineties antiheroes.
Recommended to Skjam! by: Goodreads
Full Disclosure: I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway on the premise that I would review it.

Those of you who've been following my reviews for a while will know that I'm a longtime Batman fan. Not so much though as regards Deathblow, one of the many Nineties antiheroes Image pumped out back in the day. He's an agent of International Operations (I/O) who, well, kills people.

This is not a promising basis for a team-up, and Mr. Azzarello wisely doesn't try to make it one. Instead, Batman pi
Martin
Finally re-issued after more than 10 years, this 3-parter is one of Brian Azzarello's best works, with incredible art by Lee Bermejo and inks by Tim Bradstreet. This also marks one of the few times where a crossover between the Wildstorm and the DC universes is actually good & worth reading (the other being Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth)

The story takes place in Gotham City over two time periods, "10 years ago" and today.

10 years ago: Deathblow is an assassin working for International Ope
Cale
I picked this up on the basis of Brian Azzarello and Tim Bradstreet. I usually enjoy Azzarello's writing, but here it just doesn't work for me. It's a story of doublecrosses and triplecrosses, spread across a decade. The time periods go back and forth, and there were several places where it simply isn't clear which time period we're in, which makes the already complicated story that much muddier.

The artwork is well done, very dark and grim and textured. I might have gotten more out of it if I ha
Sam Quixote
“Batman/Deathblow: After the Fire” is a hardcover “deluxe” re-issue of a 3-shot miniseries from 2002 which crossed over Batman and a ‘90s Wildstorm character, Michael Cray aka Deathblow. The book has a really confusing plot that’s hard to explain, but here goes: first off, it’s not really a crossover as the two characters never meet but instead have their two separate stories running parallel throughout. Batman’s storyline is set 10 years after Deathblow’s, though both take place in Gotham. Full ...more
Phil Keeling
This is why you couldn't have nice things, WildStorm.

This is why Batman has been played by eight-hundred-thousand actors and Deathblow is just a footnote in the existence of comic books.

Lord.

Okay, here's the scoop: Batman teams up (kinda) with Deathblow from team years ago (sorta) in order to defeat a pyrokinetic terrorist (maybe) who absolutely loves Tyler Durden's fashion sense (definitely).

The Great Bat Detective does alarmingly little detective work, the murderous Team 7 mercenary does alarm
Tamahome

Not bad. The art is really good, with perfect aspect ratio of faces to bodies (unlike the Buffy comics, don't let the cover fool you). Although I'm not a fan of silent panels. This is not a movie; if there are no words, I'll just skip over the panels. It also has the writer from the 100 Bullets comics. This team also did a Joker book together, that I haven't read. As for the writing, it seems like a gritty spy tale. But I'm not a fan of flashbacks either, with confusing cuts back and forth (see
Martin
This 3-parter is one of Brian Azzarello's best works, with incredible art by Lee Bermejo and inks by Tim Bradstreet. This also marks one of the few times where a crossover between the Wildstorm and the DC universes is actually good & worth reading (the other being Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth)

10 years ago: Deathblow is an assassin working for International Operations with a mission to kill the elusive "
Chris
This is the first I've read of the famed Brian Azzarello and I can't say that I was all that impressed by his writing. The narrative is a choppy and disjointed mish mash of modern Gotham and a political intrigue that took place ten years ago - the conclusion has Wayne unmasked in Deathblow regalia, entirely without precedent and rather unbelievable (the beefcake alone just doesn't look like Wayne out of costume - the character looks more like Bane than Batman). I don't recall the last storyline ...more
Erik
Before their recent collaboration on the bone-chilling Joker, Azzarello and Bermejo produced this three-issue series -- now collected together in one volume -- which recounts the Dark Knight’s effort to bring down a mutant fire-starter/CIA rogue agent who hides out in Gotham City. Although the art is no less spectacular than his current work, I found that Azzarello’s narrative to not be as top-notch as his work on 100 Bullets or Joker.

This older collaboration doesn’t hit the mark in any meaning
Mouse
What the heck is going on in this book? 10 years ago! Now! 10 years ago! Now! What?
This is some great artwork and it's very gritty, I can totally see the Punisher influence here but I just can't enjoy this like I want to.
Lukas Holmes
Very confusing and unnecessarily complicated. The art was great, but I had a heck of a time keeping up with if we were in the past, the future, or ten minutes from the future.
Victor Orozco
Interesting crime drama that is essentially a spy story. It feels weird because its a Batman story. Still there is some nice imagery here and there. C
Sam Quixote
Rusty
Confusing. Story was lackluster and disjointed. I like the art, buuuuuuuut all the male characters looked alike.
William
A back and forth in time story from Azzarello and Bermejo, which is a sort of crossover between Batman and a Wildstorm universe character who's essentially a warmed over Punisher. The Deathblow character, a black ops character, is at least for the purposes of this story, a dead man, whose work years in the past is being followed up on by the Dark Knight. Bermejo's art is suited to the story, and yet Deathblow as a character is two dimensional, a common problem with Wildstorm characters. Unfortun ...more
Harry Barrick
I enjoyed the artwork style, but what I did not enjoy was the confusing plot.
Stefan Mullinax
Mediocre Batman tale
Jacob
Public library copy.
Ernest
Batman goes after some government agent in a plot that started many years ago. Or something. That I couldn’t fully understand the plot is one problem; that this volume couldn’t motivate me enough to bother to try find out says something about the plotting and overall quality of the work. Despite quite good art and pencils, the plot is simply far too unclear and the story not engaging enough to make me care to find out. I can only recommend it so far as the pictures and art are concerned.
Steve Magay
As much as I love this tandem, there's a lot missing from this book. Brian seems to come short from his end. The story's plot is confusing, I understand it's a spy conspiracy but it should been written with more ease to the reader, even the ending is not clear. Still Brian's taste for crime is undisputed. He knows how to tell a story visually and Lee executes it with his own stylish glory. And lastly, it could use some more action from Batman and Deathblow.
Jin
"This is one of a kind crime and suspense story that I have read in a graphic novel format. I mean, this is my first book from Azzarello and it does not disappoint despite some not-so-good reviews from others. It stands out not just because of the art but the interestingly dark, tangled and kind-of realistic conspiracies creatively woven within the plot to offer the reader. A good read!"
Roxana
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads and first off the illustrations in this hard cover copy are very beautiful. it is enjoyable right off from the first place and the plot twist of Batman going under cover as Deathblow is very exciting, especially in this Deluxe Edition. I am happy to of read it.
Trevor
Azzarello knows how to create the perfect atmosphere for the streets of Gotham. Normally, I would not have any interest in a character like Deathblow, but the fantastic writing overpowers my dislike for such a character. Lee Bermejo's dark, and gritty art brings this story to life. I definitely recommend this title.
Michael Alexander Henke
For some reason, I just couldn't get into this at all. Seems strange since I very much enjoy the creative team. Brian Azzarello is a fantastic writer, and Lee Bermejo does some amazing art. Guess it didn't help that I had no idea who Deathblow was going into the story. It was nice to look at though.
Kim
My first giveaway win! I have only ever read one comic before so I was not sure what to expect from this. It ended up being much more cerebral than I was expecting. I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed this. Well written with great illustrations.
Ming Siu
The story/plot doesn't quite work, and is needlessly convoluted, to boot. But the art is just beautiful. I could stare at it all day. Perhaps that's what you need to do to enjoy this - don't even bother reading; just look at the pretty pictures.
  • Batman: Faces
  • Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth
  • Spawn Origins, Volume 1
  • Supreme Power, Volume 3: High Command
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 5: Between Dark and Dawn
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...

Batman (1 - 10 of 368 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 7
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 8
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 9
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 10
Joker 100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low