Start by marking “While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era” as Want to Read:
While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era

While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  34 reviews
CHAMPION OF PROGRESSIVES AND LIBERALS, FORMER SENATOR RUSS FEINGOLD EXPLAINS FROM HIS UNIQUE VIEW WHERE AMERICA WENT WRONG AFTER 9/11 AND HOW WE CAN REVERSE OUR MISSTEPS.

Known for sticking to his convictions and revered across party lines, Russ Feingold draws extensively on his time as a member of the Senate Foregin Relations and Judiciary committees and with the Senate Se
Published March 12th 2013 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about While America Sleeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about While America Sleeps

Jason Roselander
If I were reviewing Russ Feingold, the person, I would give him several thousand stars out of five, for reasons that are probably obvious to anyone interested in reading this.

"While America Sleeps" is an engaging, if not exactly mind-blowing look at Feingold's time in the Senate. It was interesting to read that Biden was supportive of invading Iraq, a misjudgment for which he was rewarded with a spot on the ticket of the "anti-war" candidate.

Feingold's pleas for greater engagement with the world
Jim Puskas
An engaging and pithy read for anyone who cares about the recent and ongoing political climate in the Western World.
Sen. Feingold is best known as the man who cast the lone "no" vote when the US Senate passed the infamous "USA Patriot Act" which demonstrably violates the Constitution, allowing unprecedented degrees of government snooping into the private lives of Americans -- even to the extent of recording what books people borrow from libraries and enabling the FBI to engage in wiretaps withou
Tuck
you may know feingold as the ex-senator from wisconsin. he was one of our most liberal (and loved by me for it) and was beaten for reelection in what? 2010? 2008? AHH who cares?! like i said, our most liberal, and really, our last liberal. this book is a rather boring (unless you like the whole insider look at how the senate works, and what they did when jet planes started crashing around them, and anthrax started making them itch, and foreign relations committees etc etc etc) re-hash of the las ...more
Kristen
In my cheesehead mind, Russ Feingold can do no wrong. He was an excellent Senator and this book hits home for both the left and rights out there interested in the post 9/11 climate of the country. There were many insightful interactions between Senator Feingold and fellow politicians detailed in the book, bringing a new perspective of many right-leaning leaders I would normally disregard. I hope that this book is read by people of all political affiliations, not just leftists, to act as a cataly ...more
Kent
Feingold misses the chance to deliver something of value in a book touted to be his statement on America's ongoing policies towards international relations in general and the war on terror specifically. He reaches some equity in doling out blame to many parties, including Congress, the Bush Administration and the Obama Administration for many of our institutional and national failures.

A sizable portion of the book was simply a screed on the Bush Presidency, which section was, of course, of littl
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Mar 11, 2012 Meagan Myhren-bennett rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of Political Science & Government
While America Sleeps:
A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era
By Russ Feingold

While America Sleeps is an insightful look from former US Senator Russ Feingold in how America contributed to the its own fall. By assuming an attitude of disinterest in the world outside our own we convinced the rest of the world that we don't care about their plight or day-to-day struggles unless there is something in it for us.

America ignored the warning signs, thinking the mere greatness of name would keep us safe. But
Kb
One, I wish this book didn't exist because then Feingold would be my Senator instead of the moron we have now. Two, because of the current political clusterfuck in Wisconsin, I am so sick of politicians telling me how awesome we are. Because we're not. Look at the mess we're in. Stop pandering to me.

I'm also disappointed at how little Feingold engages with the major debates concerning the war on terror now. While he calls for Americans to engage with the world, he says zero on how our drone prog
Steve
Still in the process of reading this book, what I've read so far makes me want Russ to run for President. If memory serves me correctly he was the only Senator to read the Patriot Act and voted against it.
Genny
I just picked this one up at the library today. I am just going to say now, before I have even read this book...that Russ Feingold is one of political idols.
Kaia
It's part love letter to Wisconsin, part political memoir, part solutions for the future. I think that Russ Feingold is amazing.
Mlg
Former Senator Feingold discusses what happened in the aftermath of 9/11. Some of the hearings and votes he discusses add depth and context to some of the debates we are currently having on issues like the NSA. He emerges as such a principled individual, knowledgeable about world leaders and foreign policy, that it is hard to believe that Wisconsinites turned him out of office. He's one of the few who have left Washington and not gotten involved in the prosperous business of lobbying.
His chapte
Jessikalhardy
This is a great look at the inside world of the Senate during the post 9/11 years. Considering Feingold's political leanings, I thought he was fair in his criticism of the Bush administration. If you want to get a better grasp on American foreign policy through the eyes of a Senator, this is a great read. Feingold understands that our global security threats transcend the nation state, and can no longer be dealt with in a purely territorial fashion. You get the sense that he has great respect fo ...more
Dawn Bankers
Well, first off, is it even fair for me to review a book I didn't finish? Let me be clear on why I didn't finish it though. My version was a library e- book and I have yet to figure out how to renew an e-book. I needed more time with this book because, sadly it was a little dry and not at all what I was expecting. I greatly admire my former senator and was looking for some of the same insight and fire he possessed when arguing alone against the Patriot Act. When my loan expired I had yet to find ...more
Manashi
First, I am a young adult so this was a new read for me. I entered this the giveaway for this book because I started to learn about the 9-11 in class. This time America's history was a sad one. My parents at that time had only lived in America for a few years; they were immigrants. So, this event effected them greatly;however, they never like to talk about it.
I wanted to experiences someone's point of view during that faithful day, and this book gave that to me. It was a wonderful read. It was
Tim
Liberal Democrat former Senator Russ Feingold shares a personal story of his experiences and concerns. It is rational personal and sprinkled with fascinating stories about politicians on the Left and Right. Feingold is honest and I loved how he shared his experiences in listening meetings throughout his native Wisconsin.
Feingold's concerns for the budget deficit, health care costs and other core political issues are well thought through and worth reading - even for conservatives. His stories on
Gerald Kinro
The former Wisconsin senator relates his experiences and interactions following 9-1-1. It includes dealings with fellow senators and administration officials. He concludes with his suggestions for the country to reach out to the world and for individuals to do the same with a big part of that hand being the study of a foreign language.

I found it to be very well written and interesting. It affirms my belief that our congress is grossly over-compensated and in dire need of term limits.
Wesley Korpela
Russ Feingold is arguably one of the most progressive politicians America has seen in years. This book not only shows his truly genuine and intelligent grasp on foreign policy but also what makes him the man he is. It reveals his deep love of Wisconsin, even when he was running a losing reelection campaign against our "wonderful" senator, Ron Johnson.
Far from being a memoir that wraps up his political career, it shows how much more he has to offer in national and Wisconsin politics.
Mark Sinnott
This book read like a 300 page campaign speech, but still, it is hard to believe that Russ didn't get re-elected in 2010. He tells his personal story beginning at 9/11 through the present day and makes some really great points about our national security, our tactics in fighting the war on terror and about America's ignorance towards the rest of the world. He makes many shout-outs to Wisconsin, but it is easy to see that his eye is still on the national stage.
Jesse
Insight into America's failure to have proper focus on and engagement with the rest of the world, and the consequences it has for us.

Great book. I have an ARC so it may be slightly different than the retail version, but it is a good look at the inside of Washington politics, especially post-9/11 . . . without being completely obsessed with the single event. I'm a Feingold fanboy though, so take that how you will.
Cathy Smith
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I learned a great deal with this book, seeing another side that most Americans don't get to see. So much goes on "behind the scenes" that we never hear about until a book is written, etc. It was well written, but some parts were just a little technical and difficult to understand, since he wrote in senator-speak. But, overall, it was a good learning experience.
Matt Chic
I agree with pretty much everything Feingold says, but he's so patient and even-handed that it's frustrating sometimes. I feel like if he actually sounded pissed this book would have more balls, and it'd be a little more engaging. He counters absurdity and corruption with patience and logic, which is good (and rare in politics) but it made for sort of a slow read.
Lindsey
Russ is a classy guy. Even if you disagree with him on some of his legislative decisions, I encourage you to read this book and hear him out. He presents his arguments very well. It was also fun to read his anecdotes about being a Senator in my home state. It certainly made me miss him in the Senate!
Katrina
Jun 24, 2013 Katrina rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Political Fans
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
As a fan of Feingold, I wanted to like this more but I think he should stick to being a politician...if possible. While some may be really interested in the everyday actions of politicians preceding and following 9/11, it was too detailed and not as philosophical as I was expecting/would have liked.
Grandma Sue
Had a chance to hear him speak this week and could not resist learning more about his life as a senator. My son, who lives in Madison, says he still out polls every Wisconsin politican...yet he doesn't seem to be planning a run.
Jimmie
Brilliant commentary from one of my favorite political heroes. Sadly, Feingold is correct in writing that most Americans have little interest in the world beyond the borders of our country. While America sleeps is true.
Teri
I won this book on good reads !!!
While America Sleeps takes you inside many aspects of the goverment , what they were doing during and after 911. I recommend this to all Americans.
John
I like Feingold, and while he raised interesting points here, I felt as though he were writing this for himself, as much as to inform the American public.
Sheri Viggiano
It was challenging to get through all of his puffery. I do agree that we need to be paying attention to things globally.
Elyse
This had some interesting ideas in it, but they weren't always fully developed and the writing style was pretty boring.
Jim
Well-told. Interesting for those who like the details. Depressing.
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
  • Thomas Cromwell: The Rise and Fall of Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister
  • Showdown
  • We're with Nobody: Two Insiders Reveal the Dark Side of American Politics
  • The Benefit and The Burden: Tax Reform-Why We Need It and What It Will Take
  • The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain
  • Anne Boleyn: Fatal Attractions
  • Fires of Faith: Catholic England Under Mary Tudor
  • The Big Con: The True Story of How Washington Got Hoodwinked and Hijacked by Crackpot Economics
  • Queen Elizabeth in the Garden: A Story of Love, Rivalry, and Spectacular Gardens
  • Eminence: Cardinal Richelieu and the Rise of France
  • Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress--and a Plan to Stop It
  • A Single Roll of the Dice: Obama's Diplomacy with Iran
  • Tudor Queens of England
  • Killing Rage
  • My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62
  • The Serpent and the Moon: Two Rivals for the Love of a Renaissance King
  • In My Father's Country: An Afghan Woman Defies Her Fate
Russell Dana Feingold is an American politician from the U.S. state of Wisconsin. He served as a Democratic party member of the U.S. Senate from 1993 to 2011. From 1983 to 1993, Feingold was a Wisconsin State Senator representing the 27th District.
More about Russ Feingold...
Museums, Zoos, and Botanical Gardens of Wisconsin: A Comprehensive Guidebook to Cultural, Artistic, Historic, and Natural History Collections in the Badger State