Billionaires & Ballot Bandits: How to Steal an Election in 9 Easy Steps

Billionaires & Ballot Bandits: How to Steal an Election in 9 Easy Steps

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  31 reviews
NOW A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER!

A close presidential election in November could well come down to contested states or even districts--an election decided by vote theft? It could happen this year. Based on Greg Palast and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.'s investigative reporting for Rolling Stone and BBC television, Billionaires & Ballot Bandits: How to Steal an Election in 9 Ea...more
Published September 18th 2012 by Seven Stories Press (first published January 1st 2012)

Michael
I found this book very hard to put down and very depressing at the same time. Greg Palast investigates Billionaires and American voting process. To say the least, it's scary. This book scares me for the future of America. I didn't realize how many people out there were working against the American people to get their ways. This is a must read book, it doesn't matter if your a republican or democrat. Neither side is innocent of stealing elections. It's interesting to see how people work in the sh...more
Ebeneezer
If you really want to understand the forthcoming US presidential election, read this book.

Former corporate fraud investigator Greg Palast previously showed how the 2000 US election was rigged through "purging" black voters off the electoral rolls. He showed how the 2004 election was rigged the same way. In 2008, the same thing happened again, yet Barack Obama still managed enough votes to get in.

"But in 2012, it will be much worse," writes Palast. "Get ready for the bottom line: the number of bl...more
Lisa
A very important, and disturbing book. Please share this with anyone who is receptive to the alarming truth about illegal and unethical voter suppression deviously spearheaded primarily by GOP politicians and the sociopathic, rapacious super-wealthy who hide behind the curtain (i.e., the Koch brothers, Texan Harold Simmons, aka, "The Ice Man", billionaire Paul "The Vulture" Singer, the number one funder of the Republican Party in New York, million-dollar donor to the Mitt Romney Super-PAC and to...more
David Weller
Oct 06, 2012 David Weller rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: American voters
A super investigative reporter gets very close to the shenanigans prevalent in our recent general elections. Palast also, at the end of the book, suggests how you can prepare yourself before you go into the polling booth. Required reading for voters.
Tyna
A must read book, that explains how both Republicans & Democrats steal elections, and how big business will buy representatives. Both of these have been know for decades but Greg Palast shows the proof behind the rumors.
Renaat
As scary as anything by Stephen King and just as addictively readable. Greg Palast documents all the dirty tricks that have been and are being used to destroy America's democracy. A must read.
Byron
Election day special! Palast was giving this away for free on his website (in PDF form) for the last few days leading up to the election, either because he figured literally no one would buy it once the election is over, or because he's genuinely concerned with whether or not people will be able to vote, and have their vote counted. Probably a little bit of both. If you haven't already, and you don't mind reading PDF files (which works reasonably well with a Kindle and probably even better with...more
Mike OHagerty
Mr. Palast, you frighten me. This was an easy read, but a tough pill to swallow. Can we win back our democracy from politicians and the wealthy? Is it too late? I don't like the word never, but man, are we far from fixing this problem - especially when the average person of voting age just chooses not to vote when they hear stuff like this.

As you prove, there is no such thing as voter fraud, only ELECTION FRAUD. While politicians & the media focus on wedge issues like abortion, gun control a...more
Jim
remember the kid in high school that was smarter than you and knew it? palast is that kind of writer.

the cover says it is an investigation of the koch gang and karl rove. i was expecting a one-sided rant, instead this book factually goes after people w/filthy hands impartially - the clinton's, koch's, rove, obama etc and others that steal from America.
J. Walker
V I B: Very Important Book!
Read it for yourself, you'll learn a lot, and you won't be sorry.
Thand there's the comc-book version included inside!
Jessica
An incredibly disturbing and rage-inducing book that should be a must-read for every American citizen. Palast's deep investigative reporting produces facts and solid figures about just how elections are being bought--on both sides of the aisle. He also arms the reader with ample information on how to stop this from happening. Hint: it's definitely not through armchair apathy.

It's not like I didn't already know that ballot banditry was happening and a big problem. But the depths to which it goes,...more
David02139
Good quick discussion of how people are losing their right to vote through a number of means. Ties this economic inequities at the end. Has a number of organizations listed in the back to join and a website/new feed to subscribe to. Pretty eye opening on the concerted effort to deny people the right to vote.
Deb Markusen
No matter what your political bend, this is a must read to amaze at the power of money in America
Mary
Sobering, to say the least. Palast is one of the last great investigative reporters and a great storyteller. Listening to (reading, but I've heard him speak, so I can hear his voice in my head) his tales of the co-optation of democracy by billionaire pirates is more chilling than anything Stephen King has ever dreamed up. This book should make everyone who reads it so outraged that they actually stop allowing themselves to be anesthetized by myriads of distractions and begin working to restore a...more
Kelli
I read this book and found it to be incredibly scary in more ways than one. I don't want to belittle the research Greg Palast has done but I just question how much of this is true. He listed a few sources, but it seemed like the purpose of the book was to direct you to purchase/download the author's movie or go to his blog to find out more on any of the subjects he was covering in this book.

I want to believe him, he raises many concerns that I think need to be addressed and protected... but I r...more
Helene
Greg Palast is a wonderful writer, speaker and investigative reporter. I have seen him on Link-TV and he has so much information to dispense that I needed to read this book to digest all of his facts and figures. He explains how election thieves rely on nine classic methods to steal elections: Purging, Caging, Spoiling, Ejecting, Blocking, Rejecting, Prestidigitizing, Tossing, and Stuffing. And he shows you many of these strategies at work in our wonderful democracy.
Frank

Very educational. Exposes actual anti-democratic, and probably illegal, tactics successfully used by Karl Rove, David Koch, and others, in conjunction with Republican state Attorneys General to systematically deny votes from targeted populations. Scarey and true. Palast is a dogged, determined, evidence-gathering honest-to-god investigative reporter.
Fenix Rose
What a book O.O
Some of this I already knew. But I didnt know to what extent it went to, still is going to.
A must read for everyone jsut to know the truth beyond the political rhetoric.
This investigative journalist has an easy to read style, loaded with facts that yup he actually did the leg work to collect.
In the back is a huge list of resources.
John Brugge

I had to read this after the 2012 election because I think I would have had an ulcer otherwise. Scary in the way conspiracy theories can be, but this story has too many verified fingerprints on it to be dismissed. Now that the 2012 disaster was avoided there is at least some time to respond without total panic.
Bill Fritz

I am amazed at the graft & thievery that Mr. Palast uncovered but I think his conclusion is all wrong. I understand the dilemma of trying to bring billionaires under control, but just taking their money changes who we are and what we stand for.
Kurt Anderson
If even one tenth of what Palast writes is accurate, then you should sit your family and friends down and force them to read this. (Sadly, I suspect that it is much more than 10% accurate.)

The tone, while entertaining, turned me off a bit.
Alan
Greg Palast uncovers the various ways the corporate elite are influencing the election, and how they might even be able to steal it.
Jennifer Wyatt
Greg Palast is great! It was written before the 2012 election, but I don't think I could have stomached it then!
Scott
Imperative reading to understand how easily our election system is corrupted and manipulated by the U.S. ruling elite.
Dennis
As usual, tons of information adding to my daily blood pressure rise. It has to collapse someday...
Jerry Johnson
Funny read, not sure I would buy it if I had it to do over again though.
Frank Hark
Another informative book on the corrupt political system.
Jessica
I am agast at what the GOP is doing to our democracy.
Dianna
Educational, shocking and depressing all in one!
John
A must read for all voters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Writer/researcher for Greg Palast 1 3 Sep 30, 2012 11:05PM
Greg Palast is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Billionaires and Ballot Bandits, Armed Madhouse and The Best Democracy Money Can Buy and the highly acclaimed Vultures' Picnic, named Book of the Year on BBC Newsnight Review.

Palast turned his skills to journalism after two decades as a top investigator of corporate fraud. Palast directed the U.S. government’s largest racketeering case in...more
More about Greg Palast...
The Best Democracy Money Can Buy Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans--Sordid Secrets and Strange Tales of a White House Gone Wild Vultures' Picnic: In Pursuit of Petroleum Pigs, Power Pirates, and High-Finance Carnivores Live from the Armed Madhouse Steal Back Your Vote!