Start by marking “Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana” as Want to Read:
Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana

Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An untamed region teeming with snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles, with sausage and cracklins sold at every gas station, Cajun Country is a world unto itself. The heart of this area—the Acadiana region of Louisiana—is a tough land that funnels its spirit into the local cuisine. You can’t find more delicious, rustic, and satisfying country cooking than the dirty rice, ...more
Published June 13th 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published April 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Real Cajun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Cajun

Elizabeth
I bought this book at the eatery "Butcher" in New Orleans, after having the best shrimp and grits in my life. The grits were creamy with a tinge of brine and the sauce was littered with these blood-red morsels of bacon that were so succulent I felt guilty, as if the pig had just been slaughtered in the back an hour before. We also tried Boudin, which reminded me of the filling they put in Middle East dishes. Writing this made me hungry all over again...

Note: The recipes are pretty fattening--but
Mia
Recipes sounded and looked good, but overall most of them needed tweaking to just be edible. Too much work! When I buy a recipe book I just want to cook the recipes as is (or at least w/ minimal tweaking) and not stand there and think, "How can I save this?"

So, instructions were clear and the photos were nice, but the recipes were far from delicious. So disappointing! I was really craving some New Orleans cuisine.

Amy
When I read Frank Bruni's 2008 review of Cochon, one of Donald Link's New Orleans restaurants, I actually started salivating. When I visited later in the year, it did not disappoint. Neither does Real Cajun, which features a few of Cochon's recipes, as well as some from Herbsaint, and some from Link's family, friends, and local favorites. Despite New Orleans' reputation for excess (and Link's obvious appreciation for fried oysters, fried chicken livers, fried chicken, and pork belly cracklins), ...more
Anne
This cookbook was a Christmas gift last year, and while I haven't finished it, I've made several recipes, all of which were delicious, and read most of the rest, which explains my drooling problem. Donald Link’s style is as engaging as the photography: his accounts of family crawfish boils and church suppers give a homestyle context to impeccably-shot, super-tasty food. This is the food he grew up eating, and while I think ease of preparation in a home kitchen will depend on how much time & ...more
Marion Pilger
Great recipes. Amazing photography. I felt it was liking reading a family history book with lots of background information about the recipes and the ingredients and the people. Although not listed as an ingredient in any recipe in this cookbook - it seemed to me that there was a large spoonful of love stirred into every dish.
Catherine Woodman
I think this is the best cookbook for the genre that I have seen--it came out this year with fellow New Orleans chef Jeff Besh's cookbook--they were both nominated as best American cookbook for both the IACP and the James Beard award--one won one, the other the other, so maybe it is just as good--We have made the dinner rolls, the biscuits, the jambalaya and the shrimp creole and they have all been spectacular--so it is more like Cochon food than Herbsaint--but very good and I would highly recom ...more
Derek
If you've been to to any of the Link eateries (Herbsaint, Couchon and Butcher) then you know that Link is the man when it comes to traditional Cajun. With great writing, pictures you could eat and a nice selection of some of Link's favorite southern cooking, if you buy this book, get a bike or a gym membership.
Summer
I haven't tried any of the recipes in this book yet (I can't wait!), but I loved reading it. I felt like he was describing my family and my childhood; it was so similar to my experiences growing up in a Cajun family in Louisiana. Great book!
Steff
Only halfway through this & have already marked quite a few recipes for future use.
Christopher
the green bean casserole was a HUGE hit at the potluck.
Brooke
awesome Cajun down home cookin'!
Nattha
Nattha marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Rebecca Mason
Rebecca Mason marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Ashley Palacios
Ashley Palacios marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Amanda Mothe
Amanda Mothe marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
S.P.
S.P. marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Clémence
Clémence marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Ashley Gibson
Ashley Gibson marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
  • The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories
  • Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way
  • Cooking
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • The Country Cooking of France
  • Chef Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-Be Southerners
  • Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
Down South: Bourbon, Pork, Gulf Shrimp & Second Helpings of Everything Wild Abundance: Ritual, Revelry & Recipes of the South's Finest Hunting Clubs

“Cook to make yourself and your family happy, because that’s really what it is all about.” 0 likes