Start by marking “How to Avoid Marrying a Jerk: The Foolproof Way to Follow Your Heart Without Losing Your Mind” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In this book, John Van Epp discusses how to avoid marrying a jerk. He provides a proven program for following your heart without losing your sanity.
Published August 28th 2006 by McGraw-Hill Companies

To ask other readers questions about How to Avoid Marrying a Jerk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Avoid Marrying a Jerk

Erin
Oct 24, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: interpersonal
Very, VERY useful book. I wish i'd read it 5 years ago. Practical information about what to look for, what WON'T change, what you SHOULD change, and how to break some of the patterns you have. Basically the predictor of your future relationships is your past ones, and the only thing they have in common is...you. Depressing thought! Lots of food for thought. I'm hoping i'll do something different in my next relationship!! :-D
Christine Perkins
Sep 04, 2008 Christine Perkins rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves:
I LOVE this book so far!
If you want to find "Mr/Mrs Right"... READ THIS BOOK!
Kim
Jul 29, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
This is a very informative book based on lots of research that gives many real-life examples of relationship red flags and problems. However, I deducted one star just because it is so long. It requires some work on the part of the reader to go through this book, highlight, make notes, and figure out exactly how to go about putting this information to good use. I personally wouldn't describe this as a "how to" manual. It's more of a summary of lots of academic research regarding what works best w ...more
Camerahappy92
Jun 09, 2014 Camerahappy92 rated it it was amazing
Written by a marriage therapist, this book gives great advice for those in relationships and those not. John Van Epp uses his experience - as well as research - to teach you ways to improve your personal lives and your relationships. I started reading this when I wasn't in a relationship and learned a lot about the psychology of people and how we interact. Great read.
Alexis
Feb 03, 2016 Alexis rated it it was amazing
I had to read this book for a marriage and relationships class, and it is absolutely great! I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially those who are single.
Heather
Sep 20, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
A ok self help book. This author goes around the country talking about how to not marry a jerk. Each chapter has questions to discuss with your significant other and yourself. I think the most interesting thing is that, he says not to move in with your boyfriend/girlfriend until you are almost married. Only 13% of people living together last after marriage. It is worse than the average divorce rate! Slow and you will be bugging your significant other...a lot!
Darci
Mar 04, 2009 Darci rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for anyone who anticipates getting hitched and popping out some kids! Seriously though, Van Epp discloses the "secrets" to developing, maintaining, and sustaining successful intimate relationships using a program he developed over many years of research and trials. I was amazed. This is more than a self help book or an instructional text for "dummies"; it is truly a guide.
Angela Pearson
Dec 22, 2015 Angela Pearson rated it liked it
Gets a bit long and overdone at times, but makes great points on logically and systematically selecting someone to walk through your whole life with. I enjoy the visuals of the RAM, it makes a lot of sense. Overall, I recommend this book for its ability to combine the mind numbing feelings of love and the logic of our mind in making eternal choices.
May 19, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I'm not finished reading it, but it is a really well written book. It was recommended to me by my psychologist. It is based on a lot of research, and I appreciate that. There are a lot of things you have to look for when picking who you are going to marry, it is sort of daunting. I'm glad I picked this book up, so at least I have some where to begin.
Lauren
Jan 15, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I agree, this book should be required reading for singles. Whether you are currently in a relationship or not, the author has some amazing insights to offer on evaluating both yourself and a future husband/wife. Very well researched and supported with real life examples.
Terra
Apr 28, 2007 Terra rated it liked it
Recommends it for: confused people like myself
Good book-easy to get through w/ some not-so-obvious ideas about how to develop connection with a partner.
Rebecca
Mar 31, 2009 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction
A patron just told me, "You're not married -- you should read this book!" Um...thanks?
Saskia
Mar 06, 2008 Saskia is currently reading it
I beginning to realize that Im the jerk he's expanding on in his book..LOL
Kathryn
Mar 20, 2013 Kathryn marked it as to-read
My Human Development teacher recommended this book to the class. haha :)
Maria
Sep 19, 2008 Maria rated it it was amazing
has a lot of good tips on relationship skills not just dating
Estelle
Jan 04, 2008 Estelle rated it it was amazing
I think the first 12 chapters are really sound, very useful concepts.
Karen
Apr 25, 2008 Karen is currently reading it
So far a great book.
Jose Sahan Kumar
Jose Sahan Kumar marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Mateia Petrone
Mateia Petrone marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Scott Schlegel
Scott Schlegel marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Denni
Denni marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
R Bellefeuille
R Bellefeuille marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Lindsay Pomazal
Lindsay Pomazal rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Fly Teo
Fly Teo rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Sarede Switzer
Sarede Switzer rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016