Start by marking “Yiddish: A Nation of Words” as Want to Read:
Yiddish: A Nation of Words

Yiddish: A Nation of Words

This first-ever popular history of Yiddish is so full of life that it reads like a biography of the language.

For a thousand years Yiddish was the glue that held a people together. Through the intimacies of daily use, it linked European Jews with their heroic past, their spiritual universe, their increasingly far-flung relations. In it they produced one of the world's most
Published August 21st 2012 by Steerforth (first published August 17th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Yiddish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yiddish

Libyrinths
Oct 23, 2009 Libyrinths rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Weinstein writes so engagingly and clearly, what's not to like? Weinstein tells the history of Yiddish and the role it has played in Jewish history, from its origins to today. She includes plenty of defined Yiddish terms, word origins, and lots of Yiddish sayings (in translation) which make the book sparkle. I never knew zeyde (grandfather) had a slavic origin.

There are exultant stories and profiles of the talented Yiddish writers, such as Sholem Aleichem, I. L. Peretz, the Si
Joanna Cabot
Jun 26, 2013 Joanna Cabot rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish, non-fiction, 2013
This was a fascinating and comprehensive look at Yiddish culture and history. It dragged a little toward the end, but the bulk of the story was a loving, engaging narrative of the history of Yiddish, and its Jewish speakers. The narrative was all the more poignant for our contemporary foreknowledge of how the story ends---with the Holocaust, which killed the Yiddish language by murdering its speakers.

What interested me about this book was that I think I had this pre-conception that there had bee
Renee
May 05, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO I love this book have read it a couple of times since 2002 when I got it for Christmas. It has some of my favorite things Yiddish, Language, words and a history about all of that. Miriam Weinstein writes well in an easy flowing manner. This is a really comprehensive work and well researched. If you have read it and liked it too you will likely also really like "Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language and Culture in All of Its Moods" by Michael Wex. That book, I have also read several times.
Jason
Apr 11, 2007 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Yiddish and languages
Shelves: history, languages
I've always been intrigued by Yiddish, and Weinstein's history of the language is a wonderful story of a nation created entirely out of words, so many of which have entered the American idiom. What I found tragic was that Yiddish was nearly wiped out by the Shoah (in Europe) and by assimilation (in the US). If you've ever been curious about Yiddish, this is a great introduction.
Betsy Morgan
Betsy Morgan rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Rvn570
Rvn570 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Jude
Jude rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Zev Clementson
Zev Clementson rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Gerald
Gerald is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Daniel Azaryahu
Daniel Azaryahu rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Mike Goldenberg
Mike Goldenberg rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Sle1784853
Sle1784853 marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Emma Barko
Emma Barko rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Jonathanrb
Jonathanrb marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Julianne Reynolds
Julianne Reynolds marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Moxie Bestos
Moxie Bestos marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Rebecca Dobson
Rebecca Dobson rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Izzy
Izzy added it
Sep 30, 2015
Adin
Adin rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2014
Asi Spiegel
Asi Spiegel rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Miriam Weinstein writes about family, food, friendship, and community, as well as on Jewish themes. Her books are warm, humorous, and accessible. Her newest book is All Set for Black, Thanks: A New Look At Mourning.
She lives in Gloucester, Massachusetts.
More about Miriam Weinstein...