Coaching Confidential: Inside the Fraternity of NFL Coaches

Coaching Confidential: Inside the Fraternity of NFL Coaches

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A behind-the-scenes look at the high-pressure lives of NFL head coaches

Coaching Confidential chronicles a year in the life of an NFL head coach. But not just one head coach. A composite portrait is drawn through interviews with at least 20 current and former head coaches (including Super Bowl winners such as Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin, Jimmy Johnson, Tony Dungy, Sean Payt...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2012)

Caleb
I am willing to slog through a lot of books, even long ones. This one is only 250 pages and I have quit at 175. It's about the experience of being a head coach in the NFL, but there is not much that a serious NFL fan would not have already heard. Plus, most stories end either with people making up over time or still not talking. Finally, the book suffers from a lack of editing. The stories bleed into each other in a way that it feels like padding on length rather than interconnections.
Ja
Read this book because you want to gain a few details you either overlooked from the newspapers or were just not privy to. It is poorly written despite the author's occupation. The writing is just weak. It is horribly subjective at times in places it has no business being--such as when he writes about how if his royal highness, Lord Commissioner would have physically thrown Sean Payton out of he had witnessed how supposedly cocky he was (whatever). An easy read as it is in no way shape or form r...more
James
I recently won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. While I consider myself a big football fan, I have lost interest in the NFL over the past 10-15 years. I certainly don't follow it as I do college football. Despite my decreased interest in the NFL, I was intrigued with the prospect of reading a book offering details of some of the greatest and best known NFL coaches. This book did offer some interesting insights into the personalities (egos) of these coaches as well as their bosses and the overa...more
Jessica
Could not finish the book. Thoughts were not cohesive and often difficult to follow. The stories (each chapter) wove together in an incoherent way, often randomly referencing outside parties and anecdotes that did not flow into one another. Very disappointed, as I enjoy reading about the 'inside scoop' and had hoped for an interesting read. Even for a sports lover, very difficult to follow and harder to complete.
Davida
I really wanted this book to be good, and some of the stories are interesting, but it's so poorly written I didn't enjoy it at all. The chronology was completely wonky, often skipping forward and backwards in ways that made it tough to follow, and there was overlap between the chapters that made it seem like no one edited it. Oh, and there was no central point or thesis, just disconnected, disjointed essays.
Mary H
This book was more about Bill Parcells than it was about coaching in general. Most of the stories we already know. Greg Meyers just brought the names together in a connect the dots kind of way. I will say that the chapter on Tony Dungy and Andy Reid made me understand Michael Vick's issues a little better. It is an easy read. I would recommend if you are football fan.
Bryan
What an enjoyable book! Gary Myers offers some fantastic insight into the minds of some of the NFL's greatest historic and modern head coaches. Any football fan will enjoy reading about Sean Payton, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Shanahan, Rex Ryan, Tom Landry, etc. I particularly enjoyed reading this book at my own leisurely pace and would recommend it to any NFL fan.
Patrick
Some interesting anecdotes that give a flavor of what life's like as an NFL coach, but that's all it really is: anecdotes. There's no cohesive narrative to bind it all together. It's a breezy and easy read, but it feels disjointed and ultimately is no more insightful than your average SI profile or newspaper feature.
Christian Olson
Should have been better, familiar with many stories, not written in the most engaging or most thorough fashion, not that memorable except for the sequence about Shannahan enlisting Steve Young to hit Al Davis with a football (probably more entertaining considering my feelings towards the Raiders).
Jennie
This book answered a lot of questions at the back of my mind about history, rivalries and relationships between teams, players, owners and coaches. Very well-written and easy to read. You'll find yourself thinking, "oh, that's why that happened" many times. Highly recommended for all NFL fans.
D Conrad
Definitely a light read - took me two days. But it was an interesting perspective into some of what is involved in being a professional football coach. It did confirm my opinion that sports are no longer the events I used to enjoy growing up but just big business.
Bryan Brackney
Very interesting book. Must read for casual to hard core NFL fans. Gives a great look into what life as a NFL head coach is. Included interviews with Tony Dungy and Brian Billick, two of my favorite coaches.
Terry
Not what I had hoped for. The stories were interesting, but seems like no one edited the book. Stories were repeated throughout the book which really disrupted the flow.
Stephen Pribula
I don't know much about this stuff, except what I overhear my sons say. But I love watching football. For me this was a very interesting and somewhat eye-opening read.
Dave
Kind of a fun book with some back stories about the NFL. You probably need to be more than a casual fan of the NFL to fully appreciate appreciate the book.
Erik
Reads like a series of newspaper articles. Gift from good friend Josh and very quick read. Some interesting insight but not a lot that isn't already known.
Doug
Great stories if you are a football fan. Section on Joe Gibbs holding the team together after Sean Taylor's death is particularly inspiring.
Jay
The stories were interesting enough, but the writing style left much to be desired. Recommended only if you have genuine interest in the topic.
Anthony Frausto
Interesting read, nothing special but does have a few interesting stories about coaching in the NFL. Football geeks will enjoy it.
Scott L.
This book started somewhat interesting, but slowly disintegrated into really bad writing. I cannot recommend reading this
John Bodley
Interesting look at a few legendary coaches, but a bit scattered and not so well written. I still enjoyed it.
Alpha
2.5/5 - Mostly history, which I wasn't so interested in. Not enough anecdotes/strategy for my taste.
Samantha Mccoy
Great stories but little conclusion to this small but interesting enclave in American football.
James Sorensen
Disclaimer: I won this book as part of the Goodreads first-read program.
Joel
Great insite what coaches and owners have to go through. Good read.
Hunter Schaal
Gives a good point on what it takes to be an NFL head Coach
Michelle
a must read for any football fan
Marc Budgell
Marc Budgell marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Ben  Campopiano
Ben Campopiano marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
The Catch: One Play, Two Dynasties, and the Game That Changed the NFL The House Of The Worm Dark Wisdom Smart Mom's Baby-Sitting Co-Op Handbook: How We Solved the Baby-Sitter Puzzle. On That Wisconsin Beat: More Wisconsin Pop/Rock/Soul/Country in the 50's & 60's

“They’ve had several conversations since that day in Owings Mills when Bisciotti fired him. “He said at some point we will sit down and have a glass of wine in that new house of yours,” Billick said. Billick had the perfect response. “It’s the least I can do, because you’re paying for it.” 0 likes
“As Parcells developed as a head coach, he came to understand that creative tension produced better results. He preyed upon the insecurity of players. If his team was cruising along winning week after week, he manufactured a crisis to keep the players on edge. If they were losing, he had plenty of material at his disposal. Parcells knew Simms could take it, so he often used him for target practice. By picking on Simms, one of the faces of the franchise, the other players knew they would be held accountable.” 0 likes