Start by marking “Tales of the Norse Gods” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Norse Gods

Tales of the Norse Gods

The Vikings told many stories of their gods: mighty Odin; Thor the god of thunder; gentle Freya; and Loki the mischief-maker and the tricks he played. In the stories, the gods are forced to always strive against the hated giants, who symbolize the pitiless northern snows and the grim mountains. These exciting and dramatic tales open with the beginning of all things, and fo ...more
Published October 6th 1994 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published April 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Norse Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Norse Gods

Manny
May 10, 2011 Manny rated it really liked it
I loved the Norse myths when I was a kid, though I can't remember which book it was that I read. If you're another fan, I'll give you a gentle warning: the Kenneth Branagh movie Thor may leave you feeling just a tiny bit irritated.

Don't get me wrong. There are many things to appreciate: Branagh has done a good job of directing, the actors all turn in excellent performances, and the CGI artists are on form too. You'll laugh a few times, and you may shed the odd tear - though I do feel obliged to
Kevis Hendrickson
May 06, 2009 Kevis Hendrickson rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, this is easily one of the best retellings of Norse Mythology I've come across (and I've read quite a few!). By accident, I discovered this book in my elementary school library when I was a child and never forgot the profound influence it had on my life. This is the book that cemented my love of mythology!

The Norse myths are some of the greatest collection of tales and legends ever written by man. Where the Greek Gods are cruel and remote, the gods populating Norse mythology are
Thomas Shepherd
May 21, 2014 Thomas Shepherd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming little book that takes you through the stories of the Norse Gods. There is an over-arching story that runs through the series of shorter tales hich could each be read, if you liked, individually.

Each story is headed up with a small woodcut which really does add to the appeal of this book. I think my favourite story in this collection is The Lady of the Vanir which features Loki, Freyia and the Brisen-gamen. I feel having read it that I should have read this years ago before t
M.J. Gallagher
Aug 25, 2015 M.J. Gallagher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as a point of reference for my own interests in Norse mythology. The short stories are told in a concise and enjoyable manner, particularly that they are ordered chronologically so that that the overall picture can be achieved. A couple of issues I would note are that the author has used her own interpretation in places - or "filled in the blanks", so to speak - to join the story together. As effective as this is, it misses several important factors about Norse myt ...more
Lisa
Jul 23, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
It was fun to read these stories and compare the characters to their counterparts in the Marvel Universe. I like the idea of Loki with red hair, somehow it seems fitting. I also find it interesting how similar these stories are to other stories from different cultures.
Rangitha Kuruppu
An enchanting retelling of classic Germanic myths and legends which is easily one of my late-childhood favorites. This book is short and concise and covers the essence and the magic of all the popular stories without suffering any loss of feel due to translation and rendition.
Samuel Blondahl
Jun 16, 2016 Samuel Blondahl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of the same stories you will find in the Poetic Edda, told in a different way, but this book does include other stories as well. Absolutely worth reading even if you know the Edda versions.
John
Mar 23, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two weird things about the book. It's old enough to have the old anglicized names for everything, and it's also old enough to pretend sex wasn't part of a bunch of the stories.
Cara
Nov 29, 2011 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love mythology in general but Norse is one of my favourites so I loved this book.
Theresa
Jul 03, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it
chapters of description and mythology of Norse gods
Isla
Isla marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Sophie Conlon
Sophie Conlon marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Allanah Peters
Allanah Peters rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Myran Kleefstra
Myran Kleefstra marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Tina
Tina added it
May 02, 2016
Ska
Ska marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Abby Thorne
Abby Thorne rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Dave Gray
Dave Gray rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Martin Jenkins
Martin Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Eryl
Eryl marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Wolf
Wolf rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Barbara Leonie Picard's first book was published in 1949, and was followed by over twenty more, all of which received praise for the mature and thought-provoking fare they offered young readers. She is well-known for her re-tellings of Homer, Gilgamesh, and ancient myths for young readers.
More about Barbara Leonie Picard...