Start by marking “Virus Thirteen” as Want to Read:
Virus Thirteen

Virus Thirteen

An irreverent and contagious thriller from debut author Joshua Alan Parry

Scientists James Logan and his wife, Linda, have their dream careers at the world’s leading biotech company, GeneFirm, Inc. But their happiness is interrupted by a devastating bioterrorist attack: a deadly superflu that quickly becomes a global pandemic. The GeneFirm complex goes into lockdown and Lin
Published March 26th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Virus Thirteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virus Thirteen

Christa
Apr 11, 2013 Christa rated it did not like it
I picked this up in the airport because I LOVE pandemic/emerging virus novels. And I thought, "Wow a doctor wrote this, it will probably contain lots of the awesome, gory medical details that I crave."

NOPE. He doesn't even describe the symptoms of the 'superflu'. Also, his hero gets a DNA sample from hair he 'trimmed' from his children's heads. Don't ya need the root bulb for DNA, doctor? Even *I* know that.

Other fails:
Dude has brain surgery and walks out of the hospital the next day and resumes
Tim Lewis
Premise: In a future suffering from global warming storms and government-mandated health requirements, scientists James Logan and his wife, Linda, work at GeneFirm, the world’s leading biotech company. It is there that so much of the world’s vaccines are developed and where genetic research has essentially eliminated most diseases.

When a bioterrorist attack spreads a super-flu virus around the world, GeneFirm is tapped to come up with a vaccine. The problem is that Linda is the head of the resea
Lianne Burwell
May 23, 2013 Lianne Burwell rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Virus Thirteen is a book that I saw the back cover copy online and thought it sounded interesting, but never remembered to look for it when I was at the bookstore (either that, or the store was out of stock on the one time I did look). Then it turned up on the 'new books' shelf at my local library, so I checked it out. Boy am I glad I didn't buy this one.

Don't get me wrong. The book is enjoyable, and reasonably well-written. But it does tend towards 'agenda' fiction, until I was almost gritting
Vanessa
Jul 29, 2016 Vanessa rated it did not like it
James and his wife Linda are scientists at the famous biotech company GeneFirm, where they've engineered a gene therapy that will eradicate cancer as we know it. But the world's population may not get the chance to enjoy a cancer-free future when a supervirus outbreak begins--a virus that no one survives.

Pat is paid a visit by agents of The Department of Homeland Health Care (HHC) to inform him that his BMI over 30 has qualified him for a mandatory "health retreat" where he will learn to curb h
The Black Cat Researcher
Jan 08, 2014 The Black Cat Researcher rated it really liked it
It was ok, I definitely do agree with a previous reviewer that the author has a lack of awareness of the nuances of socialization: there is a lack of description of body language, the conversation is direct and dry. The characters are one-dimensional and obviously serve second place to the theme of the book. I think they should've been given a few subplots to give the book more of an entertaining 'story'. The author's strength is that he has a balanced view of the future; not too optimistic, not ...more
Kandi
Sep 15, 2013 Kandi rated it it was ok
The only reason this book got two stars instead of one star is because there was the glimmer of a promising plot in there somewhere, buried under two-dimensional characters and stilted writing. I wanted to like it, but the plot and characters were underdeveloped and stereotypical, and the only reason I even finished the book was because I kept hoping it would redeem itself. Alas, it did not.

On a side note, the back cover describes this book as "An irreverent and contagious thriller". Irreverent
Roger
Mar 26, 2013 Roger rated it it was ok
Couldn't get my mind around the several unrealistic premises--perhaps because I'm not a science fiction fan. Also, several minor characters are given unnecessary prominent positions in the narrative/plot. This affected the pace--especially since the novel is branded as a thriller. For these reasons, the novel was not my cup of tea. Science fiction readers will likely think otherwise. Nevertheless, I wish Joshua continued success.
Gwen Nicodemus
Apr 02, 2013 Gwen Nicodemus rated it really liked it
I'm a little ambivalent as to whether I'd rate this a three or four.

It's a superflu book. The interesting part is why the superflu is going about and who gets it.
Tanya C.
I wasn't prepared for the sort of near-future dystopic aspects of this book but it was a quick fun read. I liked it better before reading the epilogue though. That just made it too weird.
Michael
Oct 12, 2016 Michael rated it did not like it
I hesitate before blasting an authors first novel. I mean, it seems likely he'll be reading this review, doesn't it?
On the other hand, facts are facts and the fact is this is not a good book. The storyline has quite a lot of potential but was focused in such a haphazard way that the actual story barely got told.
Right off the bat, I was jarred by the realization that this was 80 plus years from our current time. Yet....nothing has changed. At all. No advances in tech besides the gene to prevent
Lynda
Very interesting basic concept, easy read, but definitely an inexperienced author who is heavy on descriptive writing, and a use of inappropriate words that seem out of place.
Time is somewhere in the future and cancer has been eliminated by the insertion of a special gene in every embryo.. The company scientists have just developed a gene that will be genetically inherited that will put an end to cancer forever and at the opening pages of the book are announcing their wonderful breakthrough.
drey
Virus Thirteen is a medical thriller set in a future world, one where cancer’s been cured – along with other diseases, gene-doping (messing with your genes by adding stuff) is illegal, and the world’s largest genetics firm – GeneFirm, Inc. – is owned and controlled by a clone of its original founder. This is also a world where the government controls healthcare costs by sending the non-healthy to “health rehab,” because people live longer lives, and they don’t want to foot the bill for your irre ...more
Lelia Taylor
Mar 17, 2013 Lelia Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Woe to the reader who starts Virus Thirteen thinking he’s going to get your standard pandemic disaster science fiction novel. No, indeed, this is one wild ride from start to finish with a mashup of all the scenarios that make a lot of people antsy just thinking about the possibilities. Take a bit of cloning, some global warming, a dash of power-grabbing, a little transgenics and genetic engineering, throw in some science run amok and you’ve got…

But wait! Don’t forget a whole lot of murder, a dis
Becky
Mar 27, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
James and his wife Linda live in a world where viruses have been all but eliminated. Babies are born completely immune to cancer and AIDS is no more. Husband and wife are both employed by GeneFirm and have just gone public with a revolutionary discovery, but during their announcement James collapses. Doctors hesitantly diagnose him with brain cancer, but everyone knows the diagnosis is impossible - James has the cancer resistant gene implanted in all children. A quick DNA scan shows that James d ...more
Ian
Mar 29, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing
This book takes off on page one and when it lands you are refreshingly okay with the strange and beautiful world you have landed in. Simply put, Joshua Parry's first offering in the sci/fi-thriller genre is above all else a fast-paced adventure story, but more significantly, it provides the reader a glimpse into a vision of the future that is as startlingly real as it is fantastical.

In Virus Thirteen we are presented with a world crippled by overpopulation in the wake of a miraculous scientific
Lynda Coker
Aug 13, 2016 Lynda Coker rated it really liked it
In view of recent legislation in the medical care arena, the ever-present anxiety over mutated viruses and the like, and the absolute knowledge that evil intent will always accelerate the worst situation, this story is timely. And if there weren't already enough pandemonium, that in itself, adds another layer of looming tension. Well written characters made me want to either help the good guys or hide from the troublemakers.
Eileen Unger
Feb 11, 2014 Eileen Unger rated it really liked it
This is a very entertaining and well written novel. It is, at its best moments, a bit scary in that there is not enough yet known about genomics and the suppositions made could very likely to one day be fact, in light of corporate greed overtaking concern the middle class. A fast paced, never fail to read.
Katie
Jul 11, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
This book was very intriguing due to its futuristic concepts. I couldn't put the book down. I randomly picked up the book at a book sale because the cover caught my eye and the story didn't disappoint. It was easy to follow even though there is scientific stuff in it. What a crazy thought that the world could someday be like that.
Kirby
Oct 09, 2013 Kirby rated it it was ok
Shelves: medical-thriller
I honestly don't know what to make of this book. It didn't really match its blurb at all, and it seemed like the author tried to go in so many different directions that the end result was a jumbled mess that didn't even know what kind of book it was supposed to be. The writing also seemed awkward at times, particularly the dialogue.
Sanuk
Sep 06, 2013 Sanuk rated it really liked it
This book made me think about the danger of biotechnology. Deadly virus can be created easily nowadays. This thriller is even more interesting because what happens in it could become a real nightmare.
Michael Kotyk
Jul 19, 2013 Michael Kotyk rated it it was ok
A two at best. Picked up at the train station to fill time. Best I can say is it was good enough to finish....Poor otherwise. Decent plot line was completely under developed. Characters were weak at best. If you have a choice, pick something else.
Kim
Jan 24, 2015 Kim rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book all the way to the beginning of the conclusion. I don't know what happen, however, the story just came unraveled. The ending seemed to be pulled together. The Epilogue was missing a big chunk of the story.
Jen
Jun 28, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: local-library
Virus 13 has a great storyline. There are some scientific stuff in the book that is unrealistic. If that kind of stuff bothers you, you might want to pass otherwise it's a really good book.
Jessica
Aug 20, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
Eh, it was okay for a paperback. I would probably give it 2.5 stars. Interesting premise, but writing was lackluster.
Adam
May 11, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Multiple characters had me a little lost in the beginning but after I caught on I was hooked. Great book from beginning to end
Sam knowles
Sam knowles rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2013
April
May 01, 2013 April rated it liked it
That was great, with the way it started I never guessed that would happen.
Wolfwise Dreamwalker
Wolfwise Dreamwalker rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Roger
Roger rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Freezing
  • Who?
  • The Fourth Wall (Dagmar, #3)
  • Going Dark
  • The Curve of The Earth
  • The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge
  • The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych, #3)
  • The Three-Cornered War  (The Regiment, #5)
  • Floor 21
  • On the Family: Familiaris Consortio
  • Spare Parts: Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot and the Battle for Theamerican Dream
  • The City Under Ground
  • An Eye for Gold (Em Hansen Mystery, #6)
  • Useless Wings (Tin Star, #0.5)
  • Becoming Alien (Saga of Tom Red-Clay, #1)
  • Hope Reborn (The General, #1-2)
  • Shiva Descending