Start by marking “Virus Thirteen” as Want to Read:
Virus Thirteen

Virus Thirteen

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  26 reviews
An irreverent and contagious thriller from debut author Joshua Alan Parry

Scientists James Logan and his wife, Linda, have their dream careers at the world’s leading biotech company, GeneFirm, Inc. But their happiness is interrupted by a devastating bioterrorist attack: a deadly superflu that quickly becomes a global pandemic. The GeneFirm complex goes into lockdown and Lin
Published March 26th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Virus Thirteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Virus Thirteen

Christa
I picked this up in the airport because I LOVE pandemic/emerging virus novels. And I thought, "Wow a doctor wrote this, it will probably contain lots of the awesome, gory medical details that I crave."

NOPE. He doesn't even describe the symptoms of the 'superflu'. Also, his hero gets a DNA sample from hair he 'trimmed' from his children's heads. Don't ya need the root bulb for DNA, doctor? Even *I* know that.

Other fails:
Dude has brain surgery and walks out of the hospital the next day and resumes
Vanessa
James and his wife Linda are scientists at the famous biotech company GeneFirm, where they've engineered a gene therapy that will eradicate cancer as we know it. But the world's population may not get the chance to enjoy a cancer-free future when a supervirus outbreak begins--a virus that no one survives.

Pat is paid a visit by agents of The Department of Homeland Health Care (HHC) to inform him that his BMI over 30 has qualified him for a mandatory "health retreat" where he will learn to curb h
Tim Lewis
Premise: In a future suffering from global warming storms and government-mandated health requirements, scientists James Logan and his wife, Linda, work at GeneFirm, the world’s leading biotech company. It is there that so much of the world’s vaccines are developed and where genetic research has essentially eliminated most diseases.

When a bioterrorist attack spreads a super-flu virus around the world, GeneFirm is tapped to come up with a vaccine. The problem is that Linda is the head of the resea
Kandi
The only reason this book got two stars instead of one star is because there was the glimmer of a promising plot in there somewhere, buried under two-dimensional characters and stilted writing. I wanted to like it, but the plot and characters were underdeveloped and stereotypical, and the only reason I even finished the book was because I kept hoping it would redeem itself. Alas, it did not.

On a side note, the back cover describes this book as "An irreverent and contagious thriller". Irreverent
Roger
Couldn't get my mind around the several unrealistic premises--perhaps because I'm not a science fiction fan. Also, several minor characters are given unnecessary prominent positions in the narrative/plot. This affected the pace--especially since the novel is branded as a thriller. For these reasons, the novel was not my cup of tea. Science fiction readers will likely think otherwise. Nevertheless, I wish Joshua continued success.
The Hermit's
It was ok, I definitely do agree with a previous reviewer that the author has a lack of awareness of the nuances of socialization: there is a lack of description of body language, the conversation is direct and dry. The characters are one-dimensional and obviously serve second place to the theme of the book. I think they should've been given a few subplots to give the book more of an entertaining 'story'. The author's strength is that he has a balanced view of the future; not too optimistic, not ...more
Gwen Nicodemus
I'm a little ambivalent as to whether I'd rate this a three or four.

It's a superflu book. The interesting part is why the superflu is going about and who gets it.
Becky
James and his wife Linda live in a world where viruses have been all but eliminated. Babies are born completely immune to cancer and AIDS is no more. Husband and wife are both employed by GeneFirm and have just gone public with a revolutionary discovery, but during their announcement James collapses. Doctors hesitantly diagnose him with brain cancer, but everyone knows the diagnosis is impossible - James has the cancer resistant gene implanted in all children. A quick DNA scan shows that James d ...more
Lianne Burwell
Virus Thirteen is a book that I saw the back cover copy online and thought it sounded interesting, but never remembered to look for it when I was at the bookstore (either that, or the store was out of stock on the one time I did look). Then it turned up on the 'new books' shelf at my local library, so I checked it out. Boy am I glad I didn't buy this one.

Don't get me wrong. The book is enjoyable, and reasonably well-written. But it does tend towards 'agenda' fiction, until I was almost gritting
Ian
This book takes off on page one and when it lands you are refreshingly okay with the strange and beautiful world you have landed in. Simply put, Joshua Parry's first offering in the sci/fi-thriller genre is above all else a fast-paced adventure story, but more significantly, it provides the reader a glimpse into a vision of the future that is as startlingly real as it is fantastical.

In Virus Thirteen we are presented with a world crippled by overpopulation in the wake of a miraculous scientific
drey
Virus Thirteen is a medical thriller set in a future world, one where cancer’s been cured – along with other diseases, gene-doping (messing with your genes by adding stuff) is illegal, and the world’s largest genetics firm – GeneFirm, Inc. – is owned and controlled by a clone of its original founder. This is also a world where the government controls healthcare costs by sending the non-healthy to “health rehab,” because people live longer lives, and they don’t want to foot the bill for your irre ...more
Lelia Taylor
Woe to the reader who starts Virus Thirteen thinking he’s going to get your standard pandemic disaster science fiction novel. No, indeed, this is one wild ride from start to finish with a mashup of all the scenarios that make a lot of people antsy just thinking about the possibilities. Take a bit of cloning, some global warming, a dash of power-grabbing, a little transgenics and genetic engineering, throw in some science run amok and you’ve got…

But wait! Don’t forget a whole lot of murder, a dis
Lynda Coker
In view of recent legislation in the medical care arena, the ever-present anxiety over mutated viruses and the like, and the absolute knowledge that evil intent will always accelerate the worst situation, this story is timely. And if there weren't already enough pandemonium, that in itself, adds another layer of looming tension. Well written characters made me want to either help the good guys or hide from the troublemakers.
Adam
Loved it. Multiple characters had me a little lost in the beginning but after I caught on I was hooked. Great book from beginning to end
Kirby
I honestly don't know what to make of this book. It didn't really match its blurb at all, and it seemed like the author tried to go in so many different directions that the end result was a jumbled mess that didn't even know what kind of book it was supposed to be. The writing also seemed awkward at times, particularly the dialogue.
Eileen Unger
This is a very entertaining and well written novel. It is, at its best moments, a bit scary in that there is not enough yet known about genomics and the suppositions made could very likely to one day be fact, in light of corporate greed overtaking concern the middle class. A fast paced, never fail to read.
Michael Kotyk
A two at best. Picked up at the train station to fill time. Best I can say is it was good enough to finish....Poor otherwise. Decent plot line was completely under developed. Characters were weak at best. If you have a choice, pick something else.
Kim
I enjoyed the book all the way to the beginning of the conclusion. I don't know what happen, however, the story just came unraveled. The ending seemed to be pulled together. The Epilogue was missing a big chunk of the story.
Sanuk
This book made me think about the danger of biotechnology. Deadly virus can be created easily nowadays. This thriller is even more interesting because what happens in it could become a real nightmare.
Jen
Virus 13 has a great storyline. There are some scientific stuff in the book that is unrealistic. If that kind of stuff bothers you, you might want to pass otherwise it's a really good book.
Tanya C.
I wasn't prepared for the sort of near-future dystopic aspects of this book but it was a quick fun read. I liked it better before reading the epilogue though. That just made it too weird.
Jessica
Eh, it was okay for a paperback. I would probably give it 2.5 stars. Interesting premise, but writing was lackluster.
April
That was great, with the way it started I never guessed that would happen.
Debby Conway
Read this Labor Day weekend in less than 24 hours. Interesting concepts.
Tracey
I've caught Virus Thirteen and don't want to be cured!
Paula
A great book! Hard to put down.
J.T.
J.T. marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Leyna
Leyna is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015