Maximum Light

Maximum Light

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  11 reviews
By the middle of the twenty-first century the worldwide fertility rate has declined nearly eighty percent. No one knows why. Now the average age in the United States is fifty-four, and children are treasured and spoilt by those lucky enough to have them and coveted by the vast majority who can't.
Maximum Light is the story of three people from different sections of this ver...more
Published January 15th 1999 by Tor Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Maximum Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximum Light

Julia
This wasn't a bad book.
This wasn't bad writing.
It was a fine novel with very scientific elements and nice presentation.
So why did I give this book one star? Shana. Shana is basically the most infuriating character ever. She's snotty and selfish and disrespectful and MAD. At like, everything. She's self centered and vain and aloof.
I think she's probably supposed to be like, the strong spunky female in a time of crisis or whatever.
But she just came off as kind of a hothead.
I couldn't stand her vo...more
Jenni Moody
I've been on a streak of reading short stories for a while, so it was amazing to slip into this world. It reminded me of why I love science fiction, and how living within a book for a while can make the real world much more livable.

This was the first novel I read by Nancy Kress, and I'd suggest it to anyone who'd like to find out about her writing.

The opening set up is an amazing example of how to draw your reader in and make sure they will stay with you until the last page. This is one of Kre...more
Libby
I went to the library looking for Kress' Beggars in Spain (having read the short story) and decided to try this instead when that wasn't in. This follows three different people around Washington, DC in a near-future where the world's fertility rate is way down--babies are sought on the black market, and genetic science is both more advanced and more feared. Shana Walders, Cameron Atuli (both around 20 years old) and Nick Clementi (70+) all become embroiled in the same scandal, but it takes awhil...more
Wealhtheow
Nancy Kress is a personal idol of mine. Combining a wonderfully clean, clear writing style with fully realized characters, well-researched science and believable sociopolitical consequences to the new scientific discoveries, her stories are the best science fiction out there. This particular novel is the story of what happens when cloning is impossible and "humanity's ability to conceive children has been severly reduced by pollution and disease." Characters from all walks of life (a wealthy, po...more
Holly Lindquist
The amount of time and effort it takes to write and publish a book these days is quite daunting, so anyone who gets their story out into the world deserves our approbation. However, when you whittle down the substance of a book and your general impression is that of a yarn about testicle theft in the near future, there's not much else you can say. (Especially if you can't remember anything else about the work, other than your vague boredom while reading it.)
Paige
Maybe it's that I read this on the heels of something that blew me away, but this isn't quite there. I'm usually a Kress fan, but the rotating POVs all sound too simliar to me even though they're from wildly different backgrounds (and rotating POV is a hard sell for me anyway) and the political intrigue left me feeling cold rather than interested. It's got some good ideas, but it's not quite there.
Linda
I really her novels but though this one started well and kept me hooked through most of the story, the ending fell flat for me and didn't feel plausible. Governments don't change their position or give in quite that easily. Leave the ending out and it's a good story. Put the ending back and it's just ok.
Julian
Eh. I love me some Nancy Kress, and this was definitely good, but it was just like a little quick snack of a book and could have had so much more. Which, I mean, I guess that is fine, but not what I seem to be into right now. Maybe I should give it 4 stars instead of 3. Yeah.
Barbara Trail
I liked the general idea, and I always enjoy her writing style, but it felt a bit preachy about the endocrine disruptors, and the chimps with human faces idea was just dumb.
Luigi
I've mostly read Nancy's short stories as eBooks and was delighted to get my hands on a hardcover. She is an excellent modern writer imho
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Paxal
Paxal added it
Aug 20, 2014
Jmoesser
Jmoesser marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
David
David added it
Jun 03, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Olle
Olle added it
Apr 05, 2014
Nancy Kress is an American science fiction writer. She began writing in 1976 but has achieved her greatest notice since the publication of her Hugo and Nebula-winning 1991 novella Beggars in Spain which was later expanded into a novel with the same title. In addition to her novels, Kress has written numerous short stories and is a regular columnist for Writer's Digest. She is a regular at Clarion...more
More about Nancy Kress...
Beggars in Spain (Sleepless, #1) Beggars and Choosers (Sleepless, #2) Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing) Beggars Ride (Sleepless, #3) Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints