Start by marking “The Boy Who Would Live Forever: A Novel of Gateway” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Would Live Forever: A Novel of Gateway

The Boy Who Would Live Forever: A Novel of Gateway (Heechee Saga #6)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  610 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In 1977 Frederik Pohl stunned the science fiction world with the publication of Gateway, one of the most brilliantly entertaining SF novels of all time. Gateway was a bestseller and won science fiction's triple crown: the Hugo, Nebula, and John W. Campbell Memorial awards for best novel. Now, more than twenty-five years later, Pohl has completed a new novel set in the Gate ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Would Live Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Would Live Forever

A collection of stories narrated by several old characters from previous novels as well as by new ones, apparently not related, but which will all converge in the end into the main plot. You'll find more details about Heechee, Assassins, humans, Stored Minds and their timeless lives in the Core. It is a sequel of the 4th novel, The Annals of the Heechee. A bit hard to digest due to the fact that some chapters are narrated in 3rd person and the others in 1st, but still a nice addition to the Heec ...more
Sarah Sammis
Since Thanksgiving I've been working my way through the Heechee Saga. A month ago I finished the original trilogy and now I've hit the first of the add on books. The first three covered the life, death and "re-birth" of a prospector turned billionaire. They were fun and full of the sort of adventures that California's early statehood history holds but set in space with alien technology and a planet in crisis due to over population and dwindling resources.

The Boy Who Would Live Forever tries to r
This series has run one book too long. Parts of this novel are great, a few segments with new characters, the rest was slow paced to muddled. Never thought I would rate a Pohl novel as two stars.
SF. More from the Heechee saga. Now, usually my reviews of Pohl go something like this: "Awesome science fiction, great storytelling, incredibly detailed alien societies, inept depictions of women!" Um. One out of four's not bad? It's actually two out of four, but I don't consider his consistently flat women a selling point.

I feel like this book was coasting on past Heechee glory. We do visit the core -- the black hole in the center of the galaxy where the Heechee have retreated in order to hide
Rich Meyer
I'm assuming that. except for the short story collection, this will be the last of the Beeches saga. Which is too bad, since the series is one of the better science fiction sagas of the past forty years. This particular entry though doesn't add much to the telling, but is interesting in that it isn't a talrle centered on Robinette Broadhead. It's also a bit on the short side ... barely even a novella.
Barry Martin Vass
For anyone who has read the Gateway series, this is eminently readable. For those who haven't grown up on Robinette Broadhead, Gelle-Klara Moynlin and the legend of the elusive Heechee, this will probably be a bit confusing. Gateway was mostly a straight action-adventure, first published in 1977 at the same time the first Star Wars movie was released, and it was interesting in its own right because the characters were so realistic. Whereas the first two sequels, Beyond The Blue Event Horizon and ...more
Sep 30, 2008 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gateway fans and that's about it
Overall, I enjoyed this latest Gateway novel. For the most part, it didn't feel tacked-on to me. After all, the previous book was not any kind of definitive end to the Heechee story. Pohl takes things in new and interesting directions with the Heechee ... but he also takes things once again in extended tangents with a number of characters who are not as interesting as the main pair. Pohl also switches from first person to third person narrative - again, as in the previous book(s). To what end, I ...more
Oct 27, 2014 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: found in free book pile at Jackson Hole airport
One of the few Pohl books I read that I found a huge disappointment and an uninteresting slog. It was sprawling and unfocused, and then rushed to a preposterous conclusion in the final section. I enjoyed the rest of the Gateway/Heechee series, but this one was a misfire.
I'm a big fan of Gateway, and have read books 3, 4 and (now 5) recently (I need to reread #2 sometime). I didn't hate this book, but I never really liked it either book. It started off well and had a few interesting ideas, but overall it was very slowly paced, and just didn't add much to the Gateway universe. I didn't care about the characters particularly and the plot mostly just felt like it wandered around, without getting to much of a point.
If you enjoy reading about AI programs cooking extravagant virtual meals for other AI programs, then this is the book for you! There are plenty of Heechee in this book, which is cool I guess. Weak on science fiction, strong on drama. Pohl is sex obsessed, which is embarrassing, and it takes the reader out of the story. The chief antagonist in the story is Wan, my least favorite character.
Satisfying enough for those who want to get back into the Gateway universe.
Some intriguing characters along with a few thin ones.
Definitely worth the read if you are a Gateway fan, but although technically this could be considered a stand-alone novel in the universe, I would not recommend it over reading the Gateway series from the beginning (even if you are otherwise a Pohl fan).
A major disappointment in the Heechee saga. A rambling fix-up of short stories that is more interested in listing meals that an AI creates than in developing a storyline. In a nutshell, the plot floats around Wan Enrique Santos-Smith's revenge plan against the Heechee. Skip this and THE GATEWAY TRIP and read the other wonderful Gateway novels instead.
Ever since the first novel (Gateway), the Heechee books have not gone where I wanted them to. And yet they have all been intriguing to read. This late addition to the series is no exception. If you haven't read any of the series, go back to the beginning. This book will be better if you do.
At last, Fred has redeemed himself for the depressing drivel he fed us poor readers in the last two books of the heechee saga. If this is indeed the "last", then he finishes on a high note. This story is interesting, engaiging and builds to a great ending!
Over-all, I enjoyed this one. It did a good job of wrapping up long-running plotlines for the series. Unfortunately, it was extremely disjointed bouncing between multiple characters and still had too much emphasis on the unpleasant character.
Hokey. Juvenile. Fantastical science fiction - maybe better described as "soft scifi" kind of like Star Trek. The story itself was a let down. Sorry I wasted my time on this one.
Paycheck book which tries to tie in a bunch of characters from previous books to make you feel good about the series. Your life won't change if you skip this one.
Not as good as Gateway by the same author. While the characters are interesting, the plot fails to captivate me as the first book in the saga did.
Adam Light
Awesome. This book reminds me of why I love science-fiction.
Amusing sequel in the series.
I'm very glad Pohl decided to write another Heechee book, because I was seriously missing them. A good glimpse into the way Humans and Heechee interact with each other and the alliance they form, something I've been waiting to read for awhile.
Alex added it
Oct 09, 2015
Dawn Alicia Pink
Dawn Alicia Pink marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Monica added it
Sep 28, 2015
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN conflict 3 19 Jan 12, 2015 08:52AM
  • The Well of Stars (Marrow, #2)
  • Memory
  • The Fleet of Stars (Harvest of Stars, #4)
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • The Berserker Wars (Berserker)
  • White Devils
  • Across the Sea of Suns (Galactic Center, #2)
  • Mission to Minerva (Giants, #5)
  • Four Frontiers
  • Beyond Apollo
  • Braided World
  • Infinity Beach
  • The Dream Master
  • Fugue For A Darkening Island
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • Green Eyes
  • Only Begotten Daughter
  • Enemy Mine
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...

Heechee Saga (6 books)
  • Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1)
  • Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2)
  • Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)
  • The Annals of the Heechee (Heechee Saga, #4)
  • The Gateway Trip (Heechee Saga, #5)
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Man Plus Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)