Start by marking “Singularity's Ring” as Want to Read:
Singularity's Ring

Singularity's Ring

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The debut novel from a exciting new voice in SF—about what happens after ninety percent of humanity leaves Earth

There is an artificial ring around the Earth and it is empty after the Singularity. Either all the millions of inhabitants are dead, or they have been transformed into energy beings beyond human perception. Earth’s population was reduced by ninety percent. Human
Published April 28th 2009 by Tor Books (first published February 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Singularity's Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singularity's Ring

Ben Babcock
I know the line between science fiction and fantasy, if one exists at all, is tenuous, as is any genre brinksmanship one cares to play. I do try, however foolishly, to draw one, if only for my own personal cataloguing efforts. And I could go more into how I agree with the camp that views science fiction as a setting rather than a genre, but that’s not pertinent to my point. In science fiction, what happens is a result of science—albeit science that doesn’t quite work in our world—and, hence, is ...more
Kerry
The more I think about it, the more I am still enjoying this book. I will admit that the title put me off. I'm beginning to dislike the term 'singularity' as much as I used to dislike the 'cyberpunk.' I like my fiction to make sense, and lately whenever someone uses the term singularity it is because they don't have a logical reason for doing what they want to do in their novel. I am happy to report that there are no toasters raining from the sky in this novel. I believed Melko's world from the ...more
Andreas
Ein bisschen "Ein Feuer auf der Tiefe" von Vernor Vinge, ein bisschen "Ringwelt" von Larry Niven, ein paar von John Irvings Bären – sagen wir mal so: Ich war anfangs skeptisch.

Die Mischung war ziemlich nach meinem Geschmack, bot aber jede Menge Möglichkeit, es zu versauen.

Grundsätzlich bin ich von "Der Ring" jedoch begeistert. Melko schreibt seine Geschichte genial. Und Melko beschreibt auch seine Figuren genial. Die Erzählung aus den Blickwinkeln eines Gruppenverstandes gelingt ihm bestens.

E
Sueij
May 10, 2009 Sueij rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sueij by: Erin at Nicola's
I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this new author.

The storyline was new and interesting. "Regular" people have disappeared, and most of those who are left are pods -- groups of two to five people who can share thoughts and feelings and work together as a unit. This particular story is about a quintet.

I think one of the greatest strengths of the story is the method of storytelling -- each chapter is told from the perspective of one of the quint, with their particular view and their particular
Kae Cheatham

When reading the blurbs on the book jacket of Singularity's Ring, I'm struck with the recurrent use of the term "posthuman" and that this book is written of that time. I found the characters quite believably human and never thought of the "pod" Apollo Papadopulos as not being human. They (it) are five genetically engineered (is this the posthuman aspect?) people who have been trained since the cradle to work as one entity: sharing thoughts, making decisions, etc. Melko, however has presented the
Elze
I really wanted to like this book. I'm a sucker for everything Singularity-related. But it failed to draw me in. By the way -- maybe it's just me, but by stating the protagonist was a starship-pilot-to-be, the cover blurb lead me to believe that this is a space adventure. I was mistaken: the book takes place almost entirely on Earth.

To quote Amazon.com synopsis of the book, "Various factions struggle for control of the Ring, a colossal space station built around Earth by engineers who turned mos
Jim
With so many different styles of science fiction floating about these days it is often hard to find something new. Mr. Melko has created something fresh and new in the genre while crafting a complete, fascinating story.

Apollo Papadopulos is a 5-person POD of sentience, each a unique teenager, yet together a strong, smart, talented entity. This is their story. The narrator shifts from individual to individual in a very interesting perspective-shifting way, however since they share the same experi
Pete Young
In the not too distant future, circling 10,000 kilometres above Earth is the massive post-Singularity 'Ring', now empty after an unexpected rapture that took billions of people. Those that are left on Earth are divided between the unconnected singletons and the group minds, genetically engineered post-humans preparing their own exploration of the far reaches of the solar system. Apollo Papadopoulos is a five-person group who is training to pilot the starship Consensus to the mysterious Rift beyo ...more
Joe
Picked this book up for a dollar at the shore and wasn't expecting much, but the first episode interested me enough to make me want to read the rest.

The book revolves around the interactions of specialized meta-humans who shed their individual identities to form symbiotic clusters (pods), communicating through pheromones and shared memories. It also posits a future where the technological singularity doesn't quite have the result people were expecting.

There are also talking bears.

The book introd
Bruce Sanders
I would call this a young adult sci-fi book rather than adult sci-fi. The protagonist is a quintet of young people who are able to share thoughts, feelings, etc. and are in many ways considered one person. Think of them as a human version of the doglike group minds in Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep. Like Vinge's characters the group minds aren't plausible because there is not even remotely enough bandwidth for them to be able to share consciousness. The shared consciousness conduit in this ca ...more
Clay
‘Singularity’s Ring’ (Tor, $24.95, 316 pages) is pretty much straight hard science fiction – which you don’t find much any more, if only because modern science is so complex as to be almost incomprehensible to a lay reader. When authors start talking about entangled Bose-Einstein condensates resonating across the galaxy, or virtual superstrings snapping in and out of existence, it makes good old-fashioned rocket science seem like Legos.

But Paul Melko does an excellent job of making biotechnology
Ryun
Big, hardcover science-fiction novels from first-time novelists — which Paul Melko’s SINGULARITY’S RING is — usually get published because a publisher can hang an easy hook on them (with quotes from big-name authors saying “like NEUROMANCER … on speed!”) and they easily fall into slots in a publisher’s slate. (“THE ROAD is really hot right now. We need a post-apocalyptic dystopia stat!”)

These big, hardcover science-fiction debuts are not normally terrible, but are many times mediocre and better
Ben
This exploration of the post-human stands out due to the originality of the main character, Apollo Papadopulos--a collective entity composed of five people genetically engineered to think and act as one. Imagine if all the facets of your personality could tell their own story--each with a unique perspective, but all of them nonetheless you. Paul Melko has set himself a difficult challenge, but he pulls it off well. The formulaic "and-then-they-saved-the-world" ending is pretty rushed, but the bo ...more
Fred
Had potential. But didn't really work for me. You never really care about Apollo and because of that it fails.
Shannon Lewis

A fun read. This is down as teen fiction. I don't really agree with that. The themes seem too adult and the tans-human aspects are really quite advanced. Slightly disappointed in the way Mr Melko wrote Apollo as a gestalt entity - Apollo didn't seem melded enough. it was a small thing and didnt distract from my enjoyment of the book which is a good read and great trans-lit.
The end was a little sudden but as it seems like the first in a series on Apollo I'm fine with it ending like it did - a to
Nooktastic37
Did not finish - after multiple attempts.
Michael
The gimmick for this novel is that the protagonist(s) is/are a group mind: five individuals who chemically share thoughts and feelings. It's a good gimmick as far as it goes, and the worldbuilding stands out as the book's strong point: a post-singularity world that doesn't feel like Accelerando reprised.

The story itself is servicable but not inspired and the writing craft is a little rough: what you'd expect from a first novel. Overall, enjoyable, and I'll be interested to see more from Mr. Melk
Audrey Hammer
This is science fiction where a person can be two or more people acting telepathically as one. This book features on a "pod" of five: Each gets a chapter at the beginning in which each experiences terror at the thought of becoming isolated from the other members of their pod. Then each chapter speaks with a "we" voice. It's really good at portraying their sense of oneness. Meanwhile the plot and mystery are engaging. It was fun and different and interesting.
Eric
An interesting take on a post-singularity society where humans are divided into singles and pods (people made up of groups of individuals who are bonded together chemically). The story deals with what one such pod goes through when they fail to achieve the purpose for which they were made. The plot could have been a little more developed and there are a lot of loose ends never tied up, but overall it was enjoyable.
Kendell
I found this book on the reader's choice table. I really enjoyed the author's exploration of ideas like having a group consensus to make decisions and to explore morals. It also makes us examine how much we need to be plugged in to others. I wish he had spent more time with the sentient bears, very engaging distraction for the main characters. This book begs for a sequel.
Robert
Having read the short story collection that contained the seeds for this already, it was great to see that the idea expanded so well into a full novel. The shifting viewpoints of the main character and the depth and breadth added to the setting from the earlier incarnations made for a compelling story that did not feel like just a stretched out version of the original.
Kelle
Fast-paced, quick sci fi read. About the "evolution" of humans into pods, which are groups of humans who can communicate their thoughts and feelings with pheremones. Interesting just on the basis of how that whole interaction works. I found the climax of the book a bit fast after all the time leading up to it, but overall an enjoyable read.
Steven
The first 2/3 or so are fantastic. The worldbuilding is great, and the pacing is excellent. By the end, the author has outrun his plot, though - it gets a little confused and jumbled as things move too fast. It's not very long, so given the pacing you could do a single-sitting read.
Chris Hogan
This is a very interesting book, the story was great. This was the first author that i have ever read where he tells the story from the first person perspective. This was a change for me since I normally read from the third person perspective, plus i write in the third person perspective.
King
The story is so-so for me, but I really liked the concept and his view of the future, with people as pods and the human situation. People in to sci-fi would probably enjoy if for that exact reason, it's worth reading for the fans of the genre, but probably not more than once.
Kristýna Obrdlíková
Bavily mě nápady a konzistence textu v tolika perspektivách. Forma mě na větev neposadila a u některých věcí bych ocenila důkladnější dotaženost (závěr se ke konci nahrnul docela rychle), ale dohromady povedené dílko. Svět je zajímavý a umím si z něj představit další příběhy.
Tony Yuse
Paul Melko expertly mingles science fiction with science fact in this exciting story.Transporting the YA reader to the not so distant future,Melko offers plenty of twists mixed with believable dialouge for readers of all ages. Award winning book.
Flo
Jul 22, 2008 Flo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casual Sci-Fi fans
A great perspective on what the evolution of humankind would be. Melko creates an exciting story from cover to cover. I am really looking forward to reading more of his work. I hope he writes either a prequel or a sequel to this story.
Ashley
It was really interesting though the pod concept of two or more being able to create a "full" person is strange to me, but I really liked following the pod of Apollo and the ending was so sad :( but was still pretty good
Andrea
Another of those could-be-YA, but this one is definitely for intelligent, scifi-loving young adults. I really liked how they handles the concept of a gestalt individual, while maintaining each character's integrity :)
  • In the Country of the Blind
  • The Prodigal Sun (Evergence, #1)
  • The Golden Age (Golden Age #1)
  • Paradox (The Nulapeiron Sequence, 1)
  • The Hercules Text
  • Reclamation
  • Mars Crossing
  • Mind Over Ship
  • Banner Of Souls
  • Thousandth Night and Minla's Flowers
  • Last Dragon
  • A Grey Moon Over China
  • Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort #1)
  • Desolation Road (Desolation Road Universe, #1)
  • The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • Spin State
  • The Wild Shore (Three Californias Triptych, #1)
Paul lives in Ohio with his beautiful wife and four fairly wonderful children. He is an active member of the Science Fiction Writers of America, where he sits on the board of directors as the South-Central Regional Director and is chair of the Grievance Committee.

Paul’s fiction has appeared in Asimov’s Science Fiction, Realms of Fantasy, Spider Magazine, The Year’s Best Science Fiction, and other
More about Paul Melko...
The Walls of the Universe (Universe, #1) Broken Universe (Universe, #2) Ten Sigmas & Other Unlikelihoods Fallow Earth Ten Sigmas: & Other Unlikelihoods