Start by marking “The Murder Exchange” as Want to Read:
The Murder Exchange

The Murder Exchange

When ex-mercenary Max Iversson accompanies a nightclub owner to an ill-fated rendezvous in a deserted north London industrial estate, it turns out to be not so much a set-up as a bloodbath. Three men have been shot, the briefcase Iversson has been guarding is empty--and he wants to know why.

So begins a hunt for answers that will take him into direct conflict with Detective
Published July 1st 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder Exchange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder Exchange

The second of the books by Simon Kernick and already I can spot that his plots are slightly formulaic. [It was obvious with 100 pages to go who was responsible for some of the plot outcomes and who would not be alive at the end of the book.]

However, all is not doom and gloom with the book as the story was fast paced and, although so full of action, twists and turns that it was almost unbelievable, it is an interesting read, reasonably enjoyable and has characters for whom I felt some sympathy. T
Big Bertha
Plenty of action, shoot-outs with dead bodies all over the place and if you like your thrillers fast paced with very little depth then this is probably the author and the book for you.
Jan 19, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this 2nd Simon Kernick novel, I was pleasantly surprised as wasn't expecting too much if I'm an honest. I like the use & reference of characters in Kenricks Debut novel - similar to an other
UK other Michael Robotham.

The novel has plenty of violence pretty much what you would expect from a gritty London Underworld novel.
Lloyd Glater
Lloyd Glater rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2009
Mar 28, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feb 26, 2014 Maddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2004-reads

Max Iversson is an ex-mercenary who has partnered with an old buddy, Joe Riggs, to form a security firm called Tiger Solutions. When Max is offered $5,000 for a slam dunk security assignment by the owner of the Arcadia Nightclub, Ray Fowler, he can't turn it down. Max and a few of his operatives bring Fowler to a meet with some businessmen who are supposed to be buying his club, when things go horribly awry.

The Arcadia Club seems to be in the center of the criminal universe. First of
Aug 12, 2010 Sjm77 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this author and I wasn't disappointed. This is the first Simon Kernick book I have read and I really enjoyed it. So much so I plan on reading all his other books!
Tony Rothwell
Just Started it. But well impressed so far.

Now finished. A good and slightly unusual pot boiler told in the first person from the point of view of the goody and the baddy. It works.
Probably my least favourite of his books. I didn't think the story flowed particularly well, and it certainly wasn't as much of a page-turner as some of his other thrillers. Worth a read, though, if you're a fan.
Decent thriller, though the switching out perspectives during the near-climactic fight felt like a bit of a cheat and threw me out of the action. Still, solid, and will probably check out more by him.
Best Crime Books & More
I am slowly working my way through Simon Kernick's books and this is the second book he released. Simon Kernick has a very certain type of writing style. His books are usually very fast paced and normally it takes only a matter of a chapter or two before you are thrown in at the deep end of a story.

This book followed the same format and we dive straight into Max Iversson's bad decision and when it all goes wrong. However, although you are thrown in at the deep end very quickly, the suspense leve
Mark rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Lukasz Pruski
The five star rating scale implies the following categories: Excellent, Good, OK (Satisfactory), Poor, Failure. Three stars is exactly what this book deserves. It is an OK book. It is a satisfactory book. Nothing more and nothing less. "The Business of Dying" (four stars from me) by the same author has a wonderful undercurrent of moral ambiguity. It is more than just a crime story. Despite the total idiocy of its fast-action ending, "The Business of Dying" got me thinking.

No thinking needed in "
Apr 13, 2013 Redfox5 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This picked up after about 100 pages and I've been reading it for the last couple of hours and enjoying every minute. It's typical Kernick. Lots of twists and turns. More bodies than clues. I felt the two main characters were fairly similar. I think I would have got confused if their sections had not had their names above them. I liked them both until the end where I started to like Max less. But then he lied to the reader in his POV which just seemed like an odd thing to do. I mean he's basical ...more
Toni Osborne
Jun 10, 2013 Toni Osborne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thriller/mystery may be Simon Kernick’s second novel but far from the second one I have read through the years. I am just catching up with his repertoire. In fact, I have highly recommended his novels in the past and I have a sneaking impression I will do so for many more years, yes I admit being a huge fan….

“The Murder Exchange” is a gritty exploration of London’s underworld. The engaging plot is cleverly written, has a touch of humour to it and provides numerous twists to keep us tuned in
Bev Taylor
Jan 03, 2016 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the currency is death ....

max is an ex-mercenary who now earns a living providing security for work. 5K for a couple of hours work - a no brainer. but 2 of his friends r now dead and he wants to know why and who

john is a d.s. also looking for answers as he investigates the fatal poisoning of a nightclub doorman.

so the bodies pile up as the 2 find their lives linked unearthing in the process a shocking crime that has been unsolved a=for a very long time

set in london during the gang warfare da
A good read but I'm started to find this style of writing a little samey and predictable. I'd worked out a couple of the storyline twists quote a while before they were revealed.
Sean Peters
Jan 16, 2014 Sean Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

another book read by Simon Kernick, a little slower to start with but
builds to a fast pace in the second half, and you follow the story with the two
main characters.

As usual lots of characters, and following it from two very different
personalities, lots of guessing?

The last few chapters were very exciting.

Mar 18, 2014 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only given three stars. The reason is that I found the plot somewhat protracted on occasions. This said I have enjoyed a number of the later books and it maybe that I was expecting more. Please read it for yourself though and make up your own mind. I will definitely be reading more Simon Kernick.
Oct 13, 2015 Gustambro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-order
Not as good as Kernick's first book but an ok read. A bit slow on the middle which was no problem to put the book down but the pace picked it up a bit in the end. Story told by the two main characters, a detective sergeant Gallan, and a mercenary, Inversson.
Sue Flanagan
Was ok, this was I thought more of a mans book, it took longer for me to read, as I was not into it as much as some of his other work.
I have decided against giving this book a star rating as I feel that the story was greatly let down by the terrible narration by Dave John. I think that the story was plausible, but I couldn't get into it due to John's reading. Firstly, he used the same (annoying East London - verging on Cockney) accent for both Iverson's and Gallon's first person narration which didn't help in identifying with the characters or following the different perspectives. I also felt that the dialogues were awful, but ...more
May 14, 2014 Gary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a rare occasion for me marking so low on one of my favourite authors Simon Kernick. I didn't enjoy this book at all and maybe it was because it was one of his early books but I found it predictable and lacking the usual high standard I have got used to. If you are no familiar with his work read one of his later books which are of a particular high standard.
Jane Woods
Oct 08, 2014 Jane Woods rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dull, dull, dull! I read just under half of the book and gave up, something I have only done twice before!
I usually love Simon Kernick's books, but not this one.
Oct 15, 2014 Sujith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another wonderful book by simon kernick!
got off to a great start from the very beginning but slowed down a bit later on. but the ending was superb!!
had me up all night!!
I just couldn't go to sleep without finishing it!!!
Apr 14, 2015 Tristan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
Thrilling, fast-paced, and packed with action. What else can you ask for? :D
Even though the plot wasn't anything outstanding, the ride through it was entertaining enough to let that slide. The narration was well written. It's great how we can see both side of the coin with 2 opposing mc. Even better, both of their perspective are equally amusing.

Did I mention, the pacing was perfect too. The book made sure I didn't have a break to put it down until the ending fell on me.

Overall, this was a fu
Mark Williams
I got into Simon Kernick last year when i read Ultimatum, i since decided to go back a read all of his books from the start. I've finished "Business for dying", "A good day to die" and now "Murder Exchange" and so far i can not fault any of them. You can tell though that his writing style and story lines just keep getting better and better.
May 20, 2015 Jovdb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started out quite well but got bogged down with too much detail in the middle. There is a lot of violence in theses books.

Matt Green
Mar 09, 2016 Matt Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is quite simply the best book that I've ever read. The story line & twist are terrific. Kernick is a brilliant writer, fast paced, exciting and usually with an unexpected twist!
Not nearly as good as the author's first book The Business of Dying, but an acceptable thriller with quite a lot of violence and convoluted plot.
  • Captured
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Definitive Biography of P.D.Q. Bach
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • The Timer Game
  • Only with the Heart
  • The Abomination
  • Three Great Novels
  • Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss
  • Random
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more
More about Simon Kernick...