Probability Space

Probability Space (Probability Trilogy #3)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Nancy Kress cemented her reputation in SF with the publication of her multiple-award–winning novella, “Beggars in Spain,” which became the basis for her extremely successful Beggars Trilogy (comprising Beggars in Spain, Beggars and Choosers, and Beggars Ride).

And now she brings us Probability Space, the conclusion of the trilogy that began with Probability Moon and then Pr...more
Published January 5th 2004 by Tor Books (first published 2002)

Dorothea
I didn't realize until I was far into Probability Space that this is the third book of a trilogy. I suppose that's a good sign -- I was able to understand everything perfectly well without the earlier two books. Perhaps, though, I would have liked more of the characters and been more interested in the worldbuilding if I had already been accustomed to them when starting this story.

Of the main characters mentioned on the back cover --
an unlikely group: Major Lyle Kaufman, retired warrior; Marbet G
Gwyn
Dev Null
I liked the first two in this series, but this was barely ok. The best bits were the carry-overs from the previous books, and the world that its set in; the story itself is mostly a dead loss. Its pretty much a long rambling narrative where things happen to people beyond their control; noone really seems to _do_ anything. One of the two main narrative focus characters is a fairly shallow teenager whos not terribly interesting to watch be acted upon. And the main premise / twist - the space gates...more
Greg
Disappointing. While the first two novels of the trilogy were not great science fiction, they were decent enough. The third book has the feel of an obligation the author needed to deliver. A lot of that may be the shift of focus away from the setting of world. An other major issue is the character of Amanda, a teenage girl, taking a lead role in the novel. This is supposed to be science fiction, not YA, and while there is no hard rules against young characters, I found her insubstantial and unin...more
Doug Dandridge
The third book of Nancy Kress’s series about a new fundamental particle and the ancient artifact that uses it, it ratchets up the tension while introducing a new menace that could end space as we know it. Throw in a coupe in the solar system, and a new commander who wants to end the war with a victory at all costs, a child trying to find her kidnapped physicist father who holds the key to understanding the alien tech, and a rescue mission to World, which is learning to adjust to new cultural imp...more
Steven
The beginning chapters bode poorly...several focus on Amanda Capelo, who was unimportant before and remains uninteresting now. The absence of World characters early on is surprisingly noticeable.

Halfway point:
Amanda Capelo is a boring and useless character - I'm sure that plot will go somewhere eventually but it sure hasn't yet.

Midway plot twist: brilliant. The setup is slightly clunky in terms of strange character behavior. It's marred by a huge and unnecessary factual inconsistency with book 2...more
Sheryl
I greatly enjoyed re-reading this series - although this last book was my least favorite. The action moved away from "World" and shared reality (or dealing with the loss of shared reality) and turned more into a space opera.
Linda
I'm a fan of Nancy Kress' novels. I enjoyed the first book in this series quite a bit and enjoyed the second book, though not as much. This one, however, fell flat for me.

The people of World that made the first two books so interesting are only a footnote in this story. This is almost entirely concerned with human politics and maneuverings and it just never worked for me as that sort of story.

That isn't to say I hated the story. I didn't, but I didn't really like it either. If it weren't the (ap...more
Brianna
Didn't realize this was book 3 of a trilogy when I picked it up at the library, but I read it anyway. I didn't feel out of touch with the world, but I didn't enjoy it that much either. (Other reviewers seem to indicate this is the weakest book in the series)

I had little interest in the teenage character (the smart but slave-to-her-hormones daughter of a brilliant missing physicist) which drove most of the story.
Christopher McKitterick
A fine SF novel capping an excellent trilogy. I loved the characters, the range of conflicts, the scope of Kress' vision, the "hard-SF-ness" of it. Best of all, it's a satisfying conclusion (with ever-higher stakes!) to a great series. You can't get bigger stakes than the potential destruction of all space-time!

Recommended, as with most Kress work.
Karen Heuler

The best so far. Clearly, what appeals to me are the quite human and complex characters in a story with wide-ranging repercussions. Technology gets abused, from both the alien and human sides, science still surprises, and consequences always catch up.
Gendou
A strong conclusion to the trilogy.
Lots of focus on military tactics.
The character Amanda was my favorite in this book.
Leo
I did enjoy this book, but not as much as the second one. It was fun to know what happens next though.
Terry
The conclusion of this trilogy uses the concepts of modern quantum physics to explain a future war.
Matthew
At best this series was mediocre. I was hoping for a more entertaining read.
Kathleen
Pretty good, fast moving
Brett
Science Fiction
Ed Ray
Ed Ray marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Lj Yi
Lj Yi marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
John Holst
John Holst marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
  • Terraforming Earth
  • In War Times
  • Song of Time
  • Genesis
  • Beyond Apollo
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede
  • On Wings of Song
  • Fairyland
  • Titan
  • Pacific Edge (Three Californias Triptych, #3)
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • Sister Alice
  • Omega (The Academy, #4)
  • The Visitor
  • Transcendent (Destiny's Children, #3)
  • Permanence
  • A Woman of the Iron People
Nancy Kress is an American science fiction writer. She began writing in 1976 but has achieved her greatest notice since the publication of her Hugo and Nebula-winning 1991 novella Beggars in Spain which was later expanded into a novel with the same title. In addition to her novels, Kress has written numerous short stories and is a regular columnist for Writer's Digest. She is a regular at Clarion...more
More about Nancy Kress...
Beggars in Spain (Sleepless, #1) Beggars and Choosers (Sleepless, #2) Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing) Beggars Ride (Sleepless, #3) Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints