Start by marking “Probability Space” as Want to Read:
Probability Space

Probability Space (Probability Trilogy #3)

Nancy Kress cemented her reputation in SF with the publication of her multiple-award–winning novella, "Beggars in Spain," which became the basis for her extremely successful Beggars Trilogy (comprising Beggars in Spain, Beggars and Choosers, and Beggars Ride).

And now she brings us Probability Space, the conclusion of the trilogy that began with Probability Moon and then Pr
Published January 5th 2004 by Tor Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Probability Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Probability Space

Gwyn
Jul 13, 2010 Gwyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dorothea
Jun 12, 2012 Dorothea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize until I was far into Probability Space that this is the third book of a trilogy. I suppose that's a good sign -- I was able to understand everything perfectly well without the earlier two books. Perhaps, though, I would have liked more of the characters and been more interested in the worldbuilding if I had already been accustomed to them when starting this story.

Of the main characters mentioned on the back cover --
an unlikely group: Major Lyle Kaufman, retired warrior; Marbet G
Linda
Feb 18, 2008 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Nancy Kress' novels. I enjoyed the first book in this series quite a bit and enjoyed the second book, though not as much. This one, however, fell flat for me.

The people of World that made the first two books so interesting are only a footnote in this story. This is almost entirely concerned with human politics and maneuverings and it just never worked for me as that sort of story.

That isn't to say I hated the story. I didn't, but I didn't really like it either. If it weren't the (ap
Karen Wyle
May 29, 2016 Karen Wyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm rounding up a bit, but I'm very pleased with this series conclusion (or what appears to be a conclusion, at least for now).

Kress continues, in this book, to explore the physics she established in the earlier books. She makes excellent use of the characters, human and other, and in particular the one truly alien species in the series (the Fallers). The plot resolution is unexpected, yet appropriate -- though how satisfying the reader finds it will vary with the reader.
elidemelnibone
Feb 26, 2017 elidemelnibone rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-etc
J'ai un peu décroché dans la première moitié de ce troisième volume de la trilogie : conflits dans l'Alliance solaire, aventures d'Amanda 14 ans, et enlèvement de Tom, le physicien atrabilaire (j'ai un petit faible pour ce personnage) qui disparaît du récit. Heureusement, dans la seconde moitié, Tom est retrouvé par Lyle (le soldat) et Marbet (la sensitive) avec l'aide de la dérangée et dangereuse aventurière Magdalena qui a ses propres motivations (j'ai aussi un petit faible pour elle) et ce gr ...more
Ian Lewis
Feb 19, 2017 Ian Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 3 1/2. It's a page turner and kept me interested the entire time. On its own it's a 4 star book. Not earth shattering, but a highly enjoyable, well written adventure that doesn't beggar belief too much.

However, as a sequel to the first two books, it falls short. It has almost nothing to do with the major characters and events on World. I would have enjoyed reading the conclusion of what happens to the Worlders, which is not what this book is. The problem is the other two books are not
Dev Null
Jun 26, 2009 Dev Null rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked the first two in this series, but this was barely ok. The best bits were the carry-overs from the previous books, and the world that its set in; the story itself is mostly a dead loss. Its pretty much a long rambling narrative where things happen to people beyond their control; noone really seems to _do_ anything. One of the two main narrative focus characters is a fairly shallow teenager whos not terribly interesting to watch be acted upon. And the main premise / twist - the space gates ...more
Alison C
Probability Space is the final book in Nancy Kress' "probability trilogy," with the action taking place a couple of years after the previous book in the series, Probability Sun. Here, we follow retired Major Kaufman and his partner, a Sensitive named Marbet, as they travel back to World to rescue the humans who remained behind at the end of the last book; there, they encounter Magdalena, a major power-broker in the human universe and a force unto herself. Meanwhile, physicist Tom Capelo has been ...more
David Cain
Jan 08, 2017 David Cain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is the concluding volume in the Probability trilogy and it was the most entertaining. It includes a nice mix of familiar and memorable new characters and is the strongest story of the three. In an effort to make this work as a stand-alone novel, Kress repeats numerous passages from the first two books in the series - sometimes verbatim - which became old quickly. The last several hundred pages were the only time in the trilogy where I felt a sense of momentum and that the plot was consequen ...more
Doug Dandridge
Aug 18, 2012 Doug Dandridge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book of Nancy Kress’s series about a new fundamental particle and the ancient artifact that uses it, it ratchets up the tension while introducing a new menace that could end space as we know it. Throw in a coupe in the solar system, and a new commander who wants to end the war with a victory at all costs, a child trying to find her kidnapped physicist father who holds the key to understanding the alien tech, and a rescue mission to World, which is learning to adjust to new cultural imp ...more
Paige Ellen Stone
Read the summaries that are on the page for this book on Amazon. I can add little other than that, unlike some, who find some of the characters and situations improbable, I found this to be the best book of the three and an excellent wrap-up of the trilogy. Suspension of disbelief is required of readers in this genre and I did not find mine tested at all. The characters are wonderful, fascinating, confused, irritating, frightening and everything in between. I admit that the warrior for hope who ...more
Steven
Mar 23, 2013 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning chapters bode poorly...several focus on Amanda Capelo, who was unimportant before and remains uninteresting now. The absence of World characters early on is surprisingly noticeable.

Halfway point:
Amanda Capelo is a boring and useless character - I'm sure that plot will go somewhere eventually but it sure hasn't yet.

Midway plot twist: brilliant. The setup is slightly clunky in terms of strange character behavior. It's marred by a huge and unnecessary factual inconsistency with book 2
Megan
Sep 26, 2015 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yes I'm giving this two stars. I wish I liked it more but I was annoyed that Amanda was one of the main characters and I don't much feel any kind of empathy for any of the others. I liked the action on World in the first two books, but other than a brief glimpse into the Fallers ship here, this third book didn't keep me interested. I didn't connect with anything that was happening and the weird coincidence of Amanda meeting her Greek boyfriend was a little too convenient for me. I liked the cult ...more
Brianna
Feb 14, 2010 Brianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't realize this was book 3 of a trilogy when I picked it up at the library, but I read it anyway. I didn't feel out of touch with the world, but I didn't enjoy it that much either. (Other reviewers seem to indicate this is the weakest book in the series)

I had little interest in the teenage character (the smart but slave-to-her-hormones daughter of a brilliant missing physicist) which drove most of the story.
Melanie
Jun 21, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find out until now that this is actually the third book in a trilogy. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it very much. There were only few instances where I had the feeling that the author could have explained things a lot more in detail, other than that I could quickly follow the conflicts without knowing the first two.
Christopher McKitterick
A fine SF novel capping an excellent trilogy. I loved the characters, the range of conflicts, the scope of Kress' vision, the "hard-SF-ness" of it. Best of all, it's a satisfying conclusion (with ever-higher stakes!) to a great series. You can't get bigger stakes than the potential destruction of all space-time!

Recommended, as with most Kress work.
Karen Heuler
Dec 23, 2012 Karen Heuler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The best so far. Clearly, what appeals to me are the quite human and complex characters in a story with wide-ranging repercussions. Technology gets abused, from both the alien and human sides, science still surprises, and consequences always catch up.
Sheryl
Jul 01, 2014 Sheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I greatly enjoyed re-reading this series - although this last book was my least favorite. The action moved away from "World" and shared reality (or dealing with the loss of shared reality) and turned more into a space opera.
Isaac Benge
It was good.
Brett
Science Fiction
Kathleen
Pretty good, fast moving
Gendou
A strong conclusion to the trilogy.
Lots of focus on military tactics.
The character Amanda was my favorite in this book.
Matthew
Jan 08, 2008 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At best this series was mediocre. I was hoping for a more entertaining read.
Terry
Nov 27, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The conclusion of this trilogy uses the concepts of modern quantum physics to explain a future war.
Leo
Oct 23, 2008 Leo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book, but not as much as the second one. It was fun to know what happens next though.
Josh!
Josh! rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2009
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Stefan Eder
Stefan Eder rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Anu Jain
Anu Jain rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Dwagon
Dwagon rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2012
  • Brother to Dragons
  • The Years Of The City
  • Terraforming Earth
  • In War Times
  • Beyond Apollo
  • Song of Time
  • The Sky So Big and Black (Century Next Door, #4)
  • Braided World
  • Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede
  • On Wings of Song
  • Fairyland
  • Pacific Edge (Three Californias Triptych, #3)
  • Genesis
  • Skirmishes (Diving Universe, #4)
  • A Woman of the Iron People
  • The Ocean of Years (The Chronicles of Solace, #2)
  • Titan (The Grand Tour, #15)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
Nancy Kress is an American science fiction writer. She began writing in 1976 but has achieved her greatest notice since the publication of her Hugo and Nebula-winning 1991 novella Beggars in Spain which was later expanded into a novel with the same title. In addition to her novels, Kress has written numerous short stories and is a regular columnist for Writer's Digest. She is a regular at Clario ...more
More about Nancy Kress...

Probability Trilogy (3 books)
  • Probability Moon (Probability, #1)
  • Probability Sun (Probability, #2)

“Throw enough scientific gibberish at non-scientists and they always faltered.” 1 likes
“flop-transition” 0 likes