Start by marking “Crossfire” as Want to Read:
Crossfire

Crossfire (Crossfire #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In the early nineties, Nancy Kress took the SF world by storm with her multiple award-winning novella, "Beggars in Spain," which became the basis for her extremely successful Sleepless Trilogy (comprising Beggars in Spain, Beggars and Choosers, and Beggars Ride). Since then she has written more than a dozen novels, most recently the well-received Probability Trilogy, which ...more
Published April 19th 2004 by Tor Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Crossfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossfire

Lis Carey
In the not too distant future (not next Tuesday, but probably not a thousand years from now, either), Earth has established a few extrasolar colonies on Earth-like worlds. The Mira Corporation is launching the first privately-funded colonization effort, six thousand colonists in total, comprising a number of groups with quite different goals: the New Quakers, the deposed Saudi royal family and their followers, a large extended family of scientists and technologists who believe Earth is on the ve ...more
Leah
This is science-fiction in its truest sense -- what carries you along are the ideas and possibilities, and Kress's conception of what true aliens might be like ia fascinating. The book's main drawback is that it does not have a single sympathetic character: you have the sanctimonious religious leader, his bitchy daughter, the dishonest leader with the dark secret, and his cold business partner. Nevertheless, I kept reading -- both because I wanted to find out what happened, and because I wanted ...more
Mjhancock
In Crossfire, a misfit band of humans (humans that can pay their share of the journey) leave the turmoil of Earth to settle on a distant planet, called Greentrees. Once there, they find sentient aliens--aliens who weren't there the first time they checked. And from that premise, Kress weaves a complicated story of pacifism, violence, and human nature, as represented by the plantlike Vines and the vaguely mammalian Furries. The book works reasonably well on both a thematic and plot level, with a ...more
Rita Monticelli
Scroll down for the English version.

Storia complessa un po' troppo riassunta

La Kress ha una fantasia galoppante e degli spunti narrativi veramente intriganti, ma leggendo questo libro in più punti ho avuto la sensazione di trovarmi davanti ad un bozza di un romanzo più che ad un romanzo vero e proprio.
In alcuni passaggi l'autrice sceglie di riassumerci quanto accade senza farcelo vedere, oppure liquida con una frase avvenimenti complicati senza spiegarci come i personaggi abbiano fatto a fare
Jay
First you should know this is a two-book pair: "Crossfire" and "Crucible".

I really wanted to like these books. But I didn't. In the end, I didn't care about either of the two alien species; nor the humans either, for that matter.

It's tough to write about aliens and do a conscientious job. They're so ... different.

The "vines" are a one-trick pony ... er .. alien. The "furs" are also trivial, with one ambiguous exception at the end; so they have, let's say one and a half tricks. The humans have mo
Dokusha
Ein Raumschiff mit Auswanderern fliegt von der Erde zu einem fremden Stern, um dort eine Kolonie zu bilden. Allerdings stellen sie bald fest, daß sie dort nicht allein sind, und die Ereignisse überschlagen sich...
Soweit die ultrakurze nicht-spoilernde Zusammenfassung der Geschichte. Die Auswanderer sind ein ziemlich gemischter Haufen, was auch ohne die Außerirdischen schon zu einigen Problemen und Schwierigkeiten führt. Ein Großteil der Story beruht auch tatsächlich auf den verschiedenen Charakt
Ryan Mishap
Having liked her most recent so much, I decided to try another. This was okay.
A group of a couple thousand humans set off for a far away planet called Greentrees. This private venture consists of the partners who made it happen, a group of New Quakers, one thousand Cheyenne, Chinese refugees, a deposed Saudi Prince and his retinue, and many more. Earth in this near future is suffering the effects of industrialization and climate change as governments fall in the face of natural disasters and e
Susan
I had thought when I read this that it was one of Kress' older works, but it's newer than her "Beggars in ..." series. I'm not sure whether I would have felt differently about it if I'd known that as I was reading.

A ship takes off to colonize a supposedly uninhabited planet light years from earth. Once there, the humans encounter not one but two sentient alien races. That doesn't sound like much that's new, but as usual, Kress fills her story with complicated and interesting characters, and the
Talkswithwind
This is a book in the, New Human Colony Meets Disaster, genre. As this is Nancy Kress, the science is right up there. The Disaster in this case is getting caught in the cross-fire between two alien races.

There is no hyperdrive here. Travel between the stars is done relativistically, making most interstellar travel a one-way trip with regards to those left behind. This allows interstellar wars to last for centuries.

An interesting feature of the writing of this book is that it doesn't hit you over
SKCircles
Mouais, bof... Pour être parfaitement honnête, on ne peut pas dire que je sois fan. Un univers qui manque sacrément de saveur par rapport à mes lectures habituelles, qui certes sont plutôt du genre fantasy, mais dont les auteurs ont l'indéniable mérite de savoir créer tout un univers. Là, ce n'est pas que l'histoire n'est pas intéressante, ni que les personnages ne sont pas relativement bien foutus, c'est juste que l'ensemble manque de cohésion. Forêtverte aurait pu être l'occasion de créer tout ...more
Marissa
Like most Kress novels, it doesn't really end - there are two sequels. It wraps up,but there are way too many loose ends for me to really gauge this. I like the Vines a lot. I hope we get to see much more of them.
Kae Cheatham
Kress is a master at blending interesting characters with intricate stories. This is no exception, although it felt a bit overdone. By the end, I was tired of story and didn't care too much about personality resolutions. With fewer than 20 pages left, I set the book aside and forgot about it for a couple of days, then it was -- oh, yeah. finish that.

The story is the settling of Greentrees (Crucible is the sequel) and the first horrific interaction with aliens. Interestingly, I read a Kress short
Ea_colon
This book had a lot of things going for it in concept but just hit me the wrong way in execution. It has group of people living on the frontier but doesn't concern itself with those conflicts overmuch. It has an interstellar conflict but, for all it's supposed gravitas, we go from introduction to total victory in about half the book. There are "strange" aliens lovingly described but it was interminable to someone who has come across these types of ideas many times before.

Like I said at the star
D.L. Morrese
A mixed ideological group of humans forms a colony on a distant planet, escaping an ecologically endangered and politically divided Earth. They soon discover someone is already living on their new world but they aren’t indigenous. They also aren’t normal. No spoilers, but the humans become caught in the middle of an interstellar war between two species, one of peaceful, sentient plants, and the other far too disturbingly like themselves.

This novel is certainly engaging but the alien species and
Rachel
Nancy Kress covers no new territory here: a colony isolated from Earth by time dilation, intelligent aliens at war, cool technology and biotechnology, and resourceful but flawed main characters who are quick-witted enough to seize at least a temporary advantage. I give it five stars because it kept me eager to see what happened next, and I actually cared about the characters (though I didn't trust any of them). I was actually disappointed when I realized there were only two books in the series.
Stevelvis
CROSSFIRE and CRUCIBLE by NANCY KRESS -- Two books of a series with humans on a distant planet intersect with two warring alien species. One species, the Furs, is normally an agressive species but has been genetically modified by the other species, the Vines, who are unlike any other species encountered by humans. The Vine biology, means of communication and biotechnology are quite different from that represented in most SciFi stories.
Summer
Rating this one proved a little difficult for me - because I liked the characters; I thought they were well-developed - but there are so many tangent storylines and so many factors to the main storyline that I think this book tries to do a lot and cover a wide range of issues, but really fails to make sense of any of them. Nevertheless, if you put your suspension of disbelief in place, this was a fun adventure sci-fi/aliens read.
Salimbol
A typically intelligent and perceptive book by Kress, with genuinely thorny moral dilemmas and some solid characterisation. The ending is slightly too abrupt, and I'm a little sad that the dynamics between the mixed human communities play a very distant second to the alien-human relations, but nevertheless, it's a very good first contact novel.
Mark Edlund
A classic human/alien interaction story with a modern update. Kress handles the initial interaction between Vines, Furs and humans. Who is good and who is bad still needs to be answered. The human colony on Greentrees has Quakers, Cheyennes, Arabs and Chinese as an interesting mix. And every human has a back story.
Peter Walton-Jones
I really enjoyed this....Kress can really tell a story that drags me in, that's for sure! Space adventure, interesting technology, vivid and imaginative aliens, and some well drawn humans that I certainly was drawn to. It is not a complex arrangement but it is clear story telling too a very high level.
Jim Mcclanahan
Well written story involving moral and ethnocentric issues set in a space opera milieu. Good characters. Interesting scenario and story. Some loose ends remain. Just the thing for the sequel (Crucible) to address.
Anna
This is one of those SF books where the author creates good characters with good dilemmas, but then gets too engrossed in world-building and just doesn't quite make the plot work. Quaker plot points are interesting.
Kathleen
Enjoyed this book a lot, had strong female characters (although the main protaginist is male. Great world building and the aliens are awesome also.
Jim N
This is an excellent first contact novel from Nancy Kress, who hasn't disappointed me yet.
Foxglow
Aliens at war and a new human colony. You can't get better than this with sci-fi!
Shawn Thrasher
Marvelous aliens vs. humans type of sci fi - low on the sci and high on the fi!
Sheryl
Kress came up with some interesting aliens and situations
Cole
Cole marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
  • Venus of Dreams
  • Infinity Beach
  • Circuit of Heaven
  • The Wall Around Eden
  • Matriarch (Wess'Har Wars, #4)
  • In the Company of Others
  • Harvest of Stars (Harvest of Stars, #1)
  • Kingdom of Cages
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
Nancy Kress is an American science fiction writer. She began writing in 1976 but has achieved her greatest notice since the publication of her Hugo and Nebula-winning 1991 novella Beggars in Spain which was later expanded into a novel with the same title. In addition to her novels, Kress has written numerous short stories and is a regular columnist for Writer's Digest. She is a regular at Clarion ...more
More about Nancy Kress...
Beggars in Spain (Sleepless, #1) Beggars and Choosers (Sleepless, #2) Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing) Beggars Ride (Sleepless, #3) Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints