Start by marking “The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea” as Want to Read:
The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea

The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea

From the first human settlements to the latest marine explorations, The Golden Shore tells the tale of the history, culture, and changing nature of California’s coasts and ocean. Author David Helvarg takes the reader on both a geographic and literary journey along the 1,100-mile Pacific coastline, from the Oregon border to the San Diego/Tijuana international border fence a ...more
Published February 19th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Shore

Julie Barrett
Dec 06, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
The Golden Shore by David Helvarg
This book has so much to offer: the history of parts of the west coast, mainly CA and so many parts I was aware of and have been to and so many more I wasn't really aware existed there and the reason why they are there.
Love hearing how they rebuilt many parts from major disasters using their own resources.
To me this book is like a National Geographic encyclopedia of the area from earlier than the Ice Age and everything that shaped the coast and had any influence.
Monica
Sep 19, 2014 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Every Californian should read this book.
Lorri
Mar 06, 2013 Lorri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea", by David Helvarg, is a book that strikes a chord with those of us who love the sea, and with those of us who wish to keep our environment a force of life for all who inhabit it.

Helvarg has demonstrated elegance and eloquence in his writing, and has brought history to the surface. The book is a tribute to the sea. The reader is taken on a journey through history, and through the destruction of our coast. He has shown how humanity has abus
Liam
Apr 01, 2014 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"During this last major ice age, with the sea level more that three hundred feet lower than it is today, it was possible for hunters to travel by foot through what is now not a river valley but the waters of San Francisco Bay and on through the naturally formed Golden Gate bluffs..." (17)

"By 1955 the government had built a lighthouse on South Farallon Island and the lighthouse crew and the eggers began to fight. During the 'egg war' of 1863, two men, a company man and an interloper, were killed
Cynthia
Sep 07, 2016 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book twice and decided it was worth the five star rating. I loved the history, the stories and the interesting facts that I would never have known otherwise. Having enjoyed a few trips to the CA coast over the years, I wish that I had known all of these wonderful things before but it is never to late to go visit again and have our trip enriched by having read so many fabulous and exciting pieces of information. It is a must read for anyone who loves CA and the coast line. or for anyone ...more
Mark
Jun 26, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a native Californian (or even if you're not) you'll enjoy this history of our state. If you are the marine type (and I am- 5/6 of my life has been lived within 25 mi. of the Pacific, whether in California or Hawaii)- there's great deal of info here regarding our interaction with the sea. I liked it a lot.
Rebecca
Dec 18, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
** I received this copy through the generosity of Goodread's First Reads**
Wonderful factual book, basically a huge love poem to natural California. The author's love of the land, sea, and history of the area is apparent through the entire book. It's infectious, fascinating, and maybe someday I'll finally get there myself.
Hillary
May 02, 2013 Hillary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've yet to visit the west coast, so I was very excited to have won this book in one of the giveaways. Reading through this piece has made me even more excited to travel and has given me a better understanding as to why the west coast really is in love with the water! I can't say I blame them, I am a Pisces and love the water too. The author truly has a way with words!
Qazwsx
Jul 12, 2013 Qazwsx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a good non fiction book when I stopped a few times each page to look up additional material on Wikipedia.

I also never knew the Chumash ate dolphin. :(

California has more and bigger oil spill response teams the the entire Gulf region???

A zip line connects two of the Farallon islands???
Tom
Sep 18, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pulled this book off the new non-fiction shelf at the library. Nice mix of current uses of the California coast with some history. The final two chapters of a tour from Mexican border to the Oregon border was a little brief, kind of like the "I've Been Everywhere" song. Otherwise, well-written.
Bart Simmons
May 19, 2013 Bart Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a fantastic read! Could not put it down. David's writing style and knowledge of the california coast are fabulous! Bart
Diana Guerrero
Although rich and informative, the book felt like a speedy information dump. Interesting for sure especially as I am a coastie that was born on the coast of California and lived in most of the areas mentioned within the book. Some information was new to me but not all.

One of my book groups was disappointed that fact checking was not more diligent. There were many mentioned in the group but two instances of note stuck out in my mind--as I recently relocated to the area: Monarchs of Pacific Grove
Chris
California's 1,100-mile shoreline is just too big and diverse for any single, marketable book to cover with much depth. But you'll get more than your feet wet reading David Helvarg's new book, The Golden Shore.

That's because Helvarg has totally immersed himself in California's coast for decades. He's a marine conservationist, a documentary filmmaker and an environmental journalist who sails, surfs and dives for stories.

Helvarg explores seeming every major coastal enterprise, past and present: ma
Caren
Jan 18, 2014 Caren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
After visiting the southern California shore during the holidays, I picked up this book in order to find out a bit more about the lovely places I saw. This book is a very thorough treatment of the entire California coastline. By that, I mean he has covered nearly every aspect that could be considered: the history of the coast and how it changed hands before eventually becoming a part of the USA; a brief history of surfing; a look at the major ports and shipping; the military and its use of the s ...more
Nico
Nico rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Matt Reilly
Matt Reilly rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2013
Braeden
Braeden rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Frances dugas
Frances dugas rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2013
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Chris Nelson
Chris Nelson rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Carol Rowberg
Carol Rowberg rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Meredith Stills
Meredith Stills rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2016
Casey Hingtgen
Casey Hingtgen rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Alexander Lawson
Alexander Lawson rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Steve Pomeroy
Steve Pomeroy rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Redshift13
Redshift13 rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2014
  • The Memory of Water
  • Ki'ti's Story, 75,000 BC
  • Sail Away: Journeys of a Merchant Seaman
  • Spinach Soup for the Walls
  • Tangled Roots: The Appalachian Trail and American Environmental Politics
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): Urban Adventure - Wilderness Survival - Disaster Preparedness
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Dreaming of Wolves: Adventures in the Carpathian Mountains of Transylvania
  • Fall Walk
  • Touching America's History: From the Pequot War Through WWII
  • Strange Stories, Amazing Facts
  • Saving the White Lions: One Woman's Battle for Africa's Most Sacred Animal
  • Mankind Beyond Earth: The History, Science, and Future of Human Space Exploration
  • The Egyptology Handbook: A Course in the Wonders of Egypt (Ologies)
  • Free Boy: A True Story of Slave and Master
  • 223 Amazing Science Facts, Tidbits and Quotes
  • Mystic Places (Mysteries of the Unknown, #1)
David Helvarg is Executive Director of Blue Frontier and the author of six books: Blue Frontier, The War against the Greens, 50 Ways to Save the Ocean, Rescue Warriors, Saved by the Sea and The Golden Shore. He is editor of the Ocean and Coastal Conservation Guide, organizer of ‘Blue Vision’ Summits for ocean activists and the Peter Benchley Ocean Awards (co-hosted with Wendy Benchley), and winner ...more
More about David Helvarg...