Blood of War (Red Dragon Rising, #4)

Blood of War (Red Dragon Rising #4)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  12 reviews
As depression and drought wrack China, the country’s new premier has launched a deadly war with Vietnam. The assault has left the world on the precipice of disaster….

U.S. Army Major Zeus Murphy disobeys his commander and plunges headlong into the conflict, leading the Vietnamese in a covert attack against the Chinese army massing on the border. If the gambit fails, China w...more
Published January 15th 2013 by Forge Books

Jerome
A cleverly written book that is filled with colorful characters, rich vocabulary and an interesting plot to boot. Probably the best of the series so far.

This book continues as the others have – strong on the strategizing and weaponry, reasonable in the supply and depiction of action, so-so on the depiction of today’s Vietnam, weak on the characterization. Bond’s background in Pentagon-level war-gaming provides a dimension not always present in technothrillers – a realistic sense of how wars deve...more
Thomas Mcmillen
I'm in love! (oh I better shoot this guy) I can't comprehend how she makes me feel! (just let me toss this grenade in here) I've never felt this way before! (die enemy scum! die!) One of those poorly-written series that you can't quit reading, but make you ashamed to review. Just put down the series and back away.
Christian Orr
Entertaining, action-packed, with intriguing plotline and interesting characters. Perhaps I've watched too much "NCIS: Los Angeles," but if I were the Central Casting guy picking actors to star in a hypothetical adaptation of this book, I'd choose L.L. Cool J to portray U.S. Army Special Forces Major Zeus Murphy and Chris O'Donnell as Navy SEAL Lieutenant Ric Kerfer. Meanwhile, I'd also cast Lucy Liu as Lt Commander Li of the USS Campbell, Tommy Lee Jones as CDR Dirk Silas (the Campbell's skippe...more
Matthew Bentz
The red dragon series reiterates why Larry Bond is one of the best out there. From back in the days of the simulation series Harpoon to Red Phoenix and now Red storm Rising. It has great plausibility from geopolitics to climate change. Mixed with Shattered Trident it seems Larry Bond has an insight that few authors can attain.
Sheldon Lehman
The problem with reading a "war" series where a new book comes out every year (and then sometimes waiting 6 months to read it on top of that) is that you have trouble seeing the continuity. You DEFINITELY cannot read this book if you haven't read the previous three; too many things just won't make sense. I can't quite tell if this will be the last one or not. My advice is to wait a few years and then read them consecutively.

That being said, I just found myself bogging down in this one. It just d...more
Joseph Lewis
I found myself constantly out of the story, laughing at Bond’s wanna be special ops dialouge. “Man you’re fast” “As tough and dark as you?” might be the gushing of a special ops wanna be author hanging around a SEAL bar, but an author who thinks any special operator would say anything like that to another embarrasses himself. An operator from any service would rather bleed out than talk like that. Army Special Forces/Green Berets veterans expect to see SF written down by fans of other Services i...more
John
Zeus Murphy continues his one-man crusade to assist the Vietnamese in their war against China, Josh MacArthur spends some time in the Midwest pining after the spy who saved him from doom, and two one-dimensional Special Ops guys help out. Yawn.

In the final analysis, this series never really took off. The ending was far too tidy, with no real effort devoted to seeing how the war ending would affect the Chinese or the Vietnamese. Very disappointing.
JParsons1974 Parsons
Basic war story where the US comes to the aid of Vietnam after China has invaded it to get at their resources. While not early Tom Clancy the book has a interesting story with good characters that kept me involved.
Lou
A confusing, but somewhat entertaining novel about war and politics. There was a lot of focus on the conflict between Zeus's military mission and his love for Anna. Good for war buffs, but not my cup of tea.
Mark
Your basic techno-thriller dealing with a Chinese invasion IntoVietnam...Also a basic soap opera with continuing characters and subplots from 3 earlier stories involving same
Jeremy Hallum
Meh, it's light and fast and candy reading...but it's not very good...
Jonathan
A fast paced read read to kill the time.
Chris
I enjoyed it. Good details. A lot happening.
Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Juha
Juha marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Ben Smith
Ben Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Josh Thompson
Josh Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
19636
Larry Bond is the author of several bestselling military thrillers, including Crash Dive, Cold Choices, Dangerous Ground, Red Phoenix and the Larry Bond’s First Team and Larry Bond’s Red Dragon Rising series. He was a naval officer for six years, serving four on a destroyer and two on shore duty in the Washington DC area. He's also worked as a warfare analyst and antisubmarine technology expert, a...more
More about Larry Bond...
Red Phoenix Cauldron The Enemy Within Vortex Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)