Start by marking “Blood of War (Red Dragon Rising, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blood of War (Red Dragon Rising, #4)

Blood of War (Red Dragon Rising #4)

As depression and drought wrack China, the country’s new premier has launched a deadly war with Vietnam. The assault has left the world on the precipice of disaster….

U.S. Army Major Zeus Murphy disobeys his commander and plunges headlong into the conflict, leading the Vietnamese in a covert attack against the Chinese army massing on the border. If the gambit fails, China w
Published January 15th 2013 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of War

Mar 14, 2013 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cleverly written book that is filled with colorful characters, rich vocabulary and an interesting plot to boot. Probably the best of the series so far.

This book continues as the others have – strong on the strategizing and weaponry, reasonable in the supply and depiction of action, so-so on the depiction of today’s Vietnam, weak on the characterization. Bond’s background in Pentagon-level war-gaming provides a dimension not always present in technothrillers – a realistic sense of how wars deve
Sheldon Lehman
The problem with reading a "war" series where a new book comes out every year (and then sometimes waiting 6 months to read it on top of that) is that you have trouble seeing the continuity. You DEFINITELY cannot read this book if you haven't read the previous three; too many things just won't make sense. I can't quite tell if this will be the last one or not. My advice is to wait a few years and then read them consecutively.

That being said, I just found myself bogging down in this one. It just d
Thomas Mcmillen
I'm in love! (oh I better shoot this guy) I can't comprehend how she makes me feel! (just let me toss this grenade in here) I've never felt this way before! (die enemy scum! die!) One of those poorly-written series that you can't quit reading, but make you ashamed to review. Just put down the series and back away.
Christian D.  Orr
Apr 04, 2014 Christian D. Orr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, action-packed, with intriguing plotline and interesting characters. Perhaps I've watched too much "NCIS: Los Angeles," but if I were the Central Casting guy picking actors to star in a hypothetical adaptation of this book, I'd choose L.L. Cool J to portray U.S. Army Special Forces Major Zeus Murphy and Chris O'Donnell as Navy SEAL Lieutenant Ric Kerfer. Meanwhile, I'd also cast Lucy Liu as Lt Commander Li of the USS Campbell, Tommy Lee Jones as CDR Dirk Silas (the Campbell's skippe ...more
Matthew Bentz
May 24, 2014 Matthew Bentz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The red dragon series reiterates why Larry Bond is one of the best out there. From back in the days of the simulation series Harpoon to Red Phoenix and now Red storm Rising. It has great plausibility from geopolitics to climate change. Mixed with Shattered Trident it seems Larry Bond has an insight that few authors can attain.
Jun 11, 2015 Bank rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first three books of this series portraying a future invasion by China of Vietnam ( with USA quietly supporting Vietnam )driven by climate change were well told and quite credible . The finale goes off reservation of credibility .
Joseph Lewis
I found myself constantly out of the story, laughing at Bond’s wanna be special ops dialouge. “Man you’re fast” “As tough and dark as you?” might be the gushing of a special ops wanna be author hanging around a SEAL bar, but an author who thinks any special operator would say anything like that to another embarrasses himself. An operator from any service would rather bleed out than talk like that. Army Special Forces/Green Berets veterans expect to see SF written down by fans of other Services i ...more
Aug 04, 2013 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Zeus Murphy continues his one-man crusade to assist the Vietnamese in their war against China, Josh MacArthur spends some time in the Midwest pining after the spy who saved him from doom, and two one-dimensional Special Ops guys help out. Yawn.

In the final analysis, this series never really took off. The ending was far too tidy, with no real effort devoted to seeing how the war ending would affect the Chinese or the Vietnamese. Very disappointing.
Parsons Parsons
Basic war story where the US comes to the aid of Vietnam after China has invaded it to get at their resources. While not early Tom Clancy the book has a interesting story with good characters that kept me involved.
Mar 12, 2013 Lou rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A confusing, but somewhat entertaining novel about war and politics. There was a lot of focus on the conflict between Zeus's military mission and his love for Anna. Good for war buffs, but not my cup of tea.
Your basic techno-thriller dealing with a Chinese invasion IntoVietnam...Also a basic soap opera with continuing characters and subplots from 3 earlier stories involving same
L J Bartholomew
Story line getting rather stale...don't know that I will purchase another of the Red Dragon series.
Jeremy Hallum
Meh, it's light and fast and candy reading...but it's not very good...
A fast paced read read to kill the time.
Jul 26, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. Good details. A lot happening.
Oct 05, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bond
China is suffering (and we care?)
William McLoughlin
Two out of five stars.
Jud Hanson
Jud Hanson rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Marc Brune
Marc Brune marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Joel Sparks
Joel Sparks rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Kenneth C. Young
Kenneth C. Young rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Robert rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
William Mcfarlane
William Mcfarlane marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Andrew Neo
Andrew Neo rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
John Federspiel
John Federspiel rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Michael Tewell
Michael Tewell is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
Chris Gill
Chris Gill marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • More Than Honor/On Basilisk Station
  • Seal Team Six: Hunt the Jackal
  • Galactic Bounty (Sam McCade, #1)
  • Pointblank (Starfist: Force Recon, #2)
  • Tiger by the Tail (Paladin of Shadows, #6)
  • Sundowner (Nicole Shea, #3)
  • Bolo Strike
  • The Dog From Hell (Star Risk, #4)
  • Primary Target
  • Strike Zone (Dreamland, #5)
  • The Voyage
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
  • Come and Take Them
  • Captain Flandry: Defender Of The Terran Empire
  • Domino Theory (Rogue Warrior, #15)
  • The Silent Warrior (Forever Hero, #2)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
Larry Bond is the author of several bestselling military thrillers, including Crash Dive, Cold Choices, Dangerous Ground, Red Phoenix and the Larry Bond’s First Team and Larry Bond’s Red Dragon Rising series. He was a naval officer for six years, serving four on a destroyer and two on shore duty in the Washington DC area. He's also worked as a warfare analyst and antisubmarine technology expert, a ...more
More about Larry Bond...

Red Dragon Rising (4 books)
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • Edge of War (Red Dragon Rising, #2)
  • Shock of War (Red Dragon Rising, #3)