Start by marking “Children's Book-a-Day Almanac” as Want to Read:
Children's Book-a-Day Almanac

Children's Book-a-Day Almanac

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Part fun- and information-filled almanac, part good book guide, the Children's Book-a-Day Almanac is a new way to discover a great children's book--every day of the year!

This fresh, inventive reference book is a dynamic way to showcase the gems, both new and old, of children's literature.Each page featuresan event of the day, a children's book that relates to that event, a
Published October 30th 2012 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Children's Book-a-Day Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children's Book-a-Day Almanac

Amanda Wilcoxson
Silvey, Anita. (2012). Children's book-a-day almanac. New York, NY: Roaring Book Press.

Citation by: Amanda Wilcoxson

Type of Reference: Bibliography

Call Number: 011.62

Content/Scope: This reference features a book-a-day with bibliographic references for an entire year. The book is targeted to adults that teach elementary aged children.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Anita Silvey is well known in the publishing industry and has written other children's books.

Arrangement/Presentation: The entries for eac
Beth
Silvey, A. (2012). Children’s book-a-day almanac. New York, NY: Roaring Book Press.

Review: Booklist - http://eds.a.ebscohost.com.libsrv.wku...

Reference Type: Almanac

DDC: 094

Content Scope: This book reviews and gives a brief synopsis of 365 popular children’s books making it an excellent reference for teachers and librarians. It contains an index of titles for quick reference.

Accuracy, Authority, Bias: The author of this book is a professional expert in the field of children’s literature having b
Alex Baugh
The other day I bought something I have wanted for a while now - I purchased my very own copy of Anita Silvey's Children's Book-A-Day Almanac. Oh sure, I know I could go to her website and read the book of the day there, but I kind of wanted to have the print version for those times that I want to look up something quickly, or for a little relaxing bedtime reading.

Silvey spotlights the best in children's literature one day at a time. So, for instance, today, April 17th, the spotlight is shining
Esti
This delightful blog features, as the title suggests, one book review per day, both classic titles and new favorites. In the case of the classics, like today’s review of A Christmas Carol, Anita Silvey offers historical context and author facts as well as a comment on the novel itself, rendering her reviews well worth a read even for long-time fans of the books she covers. All of the reviews are written for adults rather than for children, and don’t worry about spoilers, but are written so engag ...more
Paula
This is a handy desktop resource for librarians or teachers. There is an entry for each day of the year. A fact box displays famous author birthdays, important dates or historical facts. The textual material reviews a children’s book related to a theme for that day or month. The titles run the gamut of reading levels (from pre-reading to secondary) and interests (from silly to serious). Many favorite and familiar titles are included. At the bottom of each page is a footnote that denotes the genr ...more
Kristy
I really think I need to buy this. Anita Silvey provides a text for every calendar day of the year, connecting historical events and special holidays to texts in a basic library collection. Incredibly useful in a school librarian's arsenal for lesson plans, programming, and quick read-aloud ideas.
Kirsten
Not meant to be read straight through, but to be used as a reference. I kept mentally highlighting things in my head that would be good to know next month (or next January!) A bonus is the excellent side bar about the literary events that occur on that particular day of the year.

This book would be excellent to use for parents who want to find good books and get a good feeling for what they are about for their kids. The book is mostly geared towards chapter books for middle school readers, but in
Emily Scheinman
I just received my copy of Anita Silvey's latest book, Children's Book-a-Day Almanac. This will be one of my top recommendations for gifts for teachers and for families who love exploring the rich world of children's literature. Anita's recommendations and descriptions of the books that she highlights are so engaging. She makes me want to read them all. Perhaps I will!
Amy
An excellent resource for elementary librarians. Prompts me to think about new ways I can introduce a healthy balance of both classic and new literature to my students. I appreciate the background Anita gives on each book she highlights. Each page has fun facts you can share with your students as well.
Leona Walker
Nice addition to the patter of library connections for students (and their teachers!)
Brindi
great for the days when kids don't know what they want to read....excellent book recommendations/facts/essay info.
Ann
A treasure trove of children's books which is invaluable for teachers, librarians and bibliophiles of all ages.
Jen
from what I could tell by flipping through this book has lots of helpful book recommendations. fabulous.
Marcie
Although I have loved this on the Internet, it's great to have as a print resource.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Erica Flory
Erica Flory marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Darcy Beech
Darcy Beech marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jeni
Jeni marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book 100 Best Books for Children 500 Great Books for Teens I'll Pass For Your Comrade: Women Soldiers in the Civil War The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth