Start by marking “Kalimpura (Green Universe, #3)” as Want to Read:
Kalimpura (Green Universe, #3)

Kalimpura (Green Universe #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  31 reviews
This sequel to Green and Endurance takes Green back to the city of Kalimpura and the service of the Lily Goddess.

Green is hounded by the gods of Copper Downs and the gods of Kalimpura, who have laid claim to her and her children. She never wanted to be a conduit for the supernatural, but when she killed the Immortal Duke and created the Ox god with the power she released,
Published January 29th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Kalimpura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kalimpura

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4.5* of five

In the end, I love the fact that this novel, likely Jay Lake's last published in his lifetime, expresses better than any I've read in a long, long time the simple truth that, "In the end, so is the beginning. In the beginning, so is the end."

Hail, and farewell to Jay Lake. My ninth and final Jay Lake Pre-Mortem Read-a-thon review is posted at Shelf Inflicted.
Joyce Reynolds-Ward
The conclusion to the Green series is also the best of the three works. Green has her work cut out for her in this book as she seeks to defuse those who would harm both her and her babies. She eventually finds her solution but, as is typical for Green, not without a lot of violence.

There are a couple of threads I would have liked to have seen a more thorough resolution given to (Blackblood's claim on her son, more about Skinless, Green's effect on the ocean through the titanics), but tying up al
Alex Hemsley
Jeremy Preacher
As much as I'm a little tired of the violent, impulsive female character, I do appreciate that Kalimpura is an unflinching look at the consequences of that kind of choice. It's a grim and bloody book, and it doesn't end well so much as inevitably.

The nostalgic narrator trick is just as annoying here as it was in Endurance, although there isn't really a twist to spoil and it does add some perspective to the character's choices, because she-as-narrator can talk about her motivations and the result
Alina
So, what can I say about the end of Green's story? It was.. Green-esque! Green never once changed. Never once learned from her Mistakes. Same Green, same tricks. Tricks that got beloved characters killed or severely injured. I'm thankful for the some-what epilog at the end where we are introduced to an older and wiser Green. A Green who then has to deal with a teenage girl, that is like her mother when her mother was young. Fitting.
Overall, I did enjoy the story, even if it seemed to upset me a
CV Rick
My life was in turmoil. I'm serious. I was breaking up with a girl, trying to manage an unruly child, and running a business as well. Every day was one series of crisis after another. You'd never believe how many people's problems became my problems in the first week of July.

What I'm saying is, it's not you, it's me.

A book should be reviewed on its own merits not on the whirlwind of drama that surrounds the reader. But this isn't a perfect world and that isn't practical. I read books within th
William Bentrim
Kalimpura by Jay Lake

This is the third of the series of one of those butt kicking female protagonist stories I enjoy so much. Green, the main character, is now a mother and although she has mellowed this is akin to suggesting a tsunami is just a wave. Green leaves Copper Downs and returns to the Temple of the Silver Lilly and her meanest foes.

I would suggest reading Green and Endurance , the precursors to this book. All three books deal with empowering women and defying the status quo. Green’s
Tim Martin
I found _Kalimpura_ to be an enjoyable if imperfect ending to one of the most interesting and innovative fantasy series in recent years (if not ever). Though I had some quibbles with the novel (and the series) there was a lot to like about this ending to the Green trilogy.

The good first (and there is a lot of good). The title refers to of course, as readers of the series know, the city in which the majority of this book is set, a city that was much featured earlier in the series. I love this cit
Jess (The Best Kind of Book Nerd) Willard
Wow. I am so sad to see Green go, I hope that Jay will maybe continue the series and fill in all the time we missed in the fifteen years that happen between the end of the book and the epilogue where Green sits down to write her story. It makes me happy to see all the positive reviews on this book as her first book just gets bashed on constantly, and that was by far my favorite because that is when we get to see Green become the powerful warrior and woman that she is. I love how she evolves thro ...more
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
‘Kalimpura’ is the third book in the “Green” series. It is touted as the conclusion of the series as well and considering the ending, I can see avenues for new books in this universe if the author so chose to write them. Green has come back to Kalimpura where she has many against her, both human and god. Yet this is the home of her Lily Goddess and where she was trained to be a Lily Blade. She’s trying to retrieve two girls from the Bittern Court – one a Blade sister and the other the daughter o ...more
Pam Frost Gorder
[This review is for the Audible (unabridged, of course) version.]

I just finished listening to Kalimpura, and all I want to do is listen to it again. It's the kind of fantasy book that demonstrates through its own excellence all the things that are sometimes missing from other books in the genre. The characters are multi-faceted—flawed, believable, and sympathetic. The settings are likewise layered, with vivid descriptions. The plot offers surprising turns, but still feels solidly grounded in the
Jules
I won an ARC of this book. It took me awhile to read it after winning because I wanted to read the first two in the series first.
I was thankful that I did. I had seen the first book in the library but had passed it over for other authors that I had already "known". I am grateful that I won this book. In doing so, I have been introduced to another great author. I really enjoyed the first two in this series.

Kalimpura is the end of Green's story. A story of a girl, sold by her father, trained to
Rich
May 11, 2013 Rich rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Guy Gavriel Kay who read books 1 and 2
Recommended to Rich by: Books 1 and 2
Kalimpura was a good end to the series. I found each book to be very well written, with the first one being my favorite. I felt that the characters of the If there is anything negative to be said about Kalimpura, it's only that very early in the reading I could see where the book would eventually lead. The various paths leading to the end, and Lake's telling of the story, were what made the book so good.

I guess the only open questions remaining for me are concerning the fates of the children, a
Rebecca Angel
End of a good triology. Rare to find a flawed, but good heroine, that spends the second book pregnant, and the third nursing babies. And yes, she still kicks ass all the way through.
Mitchell
Book 3 of the Green saga. This was written from the perspective of the birth of a demigod. It had a very mythic quality to it. And it had an odd and confused style, which was fair because our narrator was confused and off-balance pretty much throughout the whole book. Lots of violence and hiding and running and breast-feeding of twins - I would say it was a kick-ass cover very unlike the vampire killing bimbos - with one baby in a sling and the other in a backpack - it definitely carried the ser ...more
Troy
Jay Lake does a great job at the third in this series. The continued world building and development of old and new characters kept my attention and left me wanting more.
John
Green returns to Kalimpura with her newly born twins, and sets off a political brouhaha that ends in great washes of blood. As before the story is well founded, and except for occasional tics (Lake has a bad habit of foreshadowing, and often too. He also sometimes brings the plot crashing to a halt while for stylistic but boring ruminations or explication. Skip those, though, and things move right along) makes both logical and psychological sense. He brings the story to an end, too, with a quick ...more
MJ
Completes this series???? A number of strings were left untied.
Shannon Page
Again, cannot rate this book as I was rereading for research on a related book. :-)
Kevin
This series is a guilty pleasure of mine.

The story was great and concluded things nicely.

There was a bit of stumbling in the writing of the first two books, but it seems the author has finally worked out most of the kinks in this third one.

My only gripe was with the author's overuse of foreshadowing. It's one thing to gently hint at something, but it's another thing entirely to be blatant about it...
Neal
This one seemed to take forever to get where it was going. I am curious if Lake's cancer diagnosis caused him to wrap this one up as he did. Other than the very end it did not feel like the last novel in a series, more of a middle child. That being said I did like the end and the promises it made of adventures to come. Too bad we are unlikely to see any of those.
Lisa Wilcox
Jay Lake (1964-2014) has left us with a wonderful legacy, including the trilogy for which this volume is the conclusion. The evolution of the girl Green through three novels is fascinating and satisfying (even if it would have been wonderful to continue on the journey with her). Thank you, Mr. Lake.
This third and final of the Green Universe trilogy did the story justice. It's brilliant, witty, gripping, demanding, intesne, intimate, devastating, and the ending... The ending is worth every single hardship the characters endured through the three books. I highly recommend this to fantasy lovers.
cowgirl  sushi
Of course, when I love something, it is hard for me to find too much fault with the sequels but by the time most writers get to the third book (For RR Martin it happened in book #5)things begin to get stale and this happens here. Still, definitely worth reading.
Daniel
This book was hard to put down. Between the lore of the land and the fantastic character development, this book was amazing. This was my favorite of the series, I hope that there will be more of these books to come.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Third, and possibly concluding volume in the Green Universe series, an engaging, bloodthirsty but ultimately uplifting feminist fantasy set in a world parallel or possibly successor to our own.
Kathleen
I liked the story overall but, there was just too much man hating going on. However that is to be expected when there were very few men worth liking in any of the 3 books.
Anita
Good ending for the story, well written. The third book of the series did not have the draggy places that the second did.
Jerry
Great series. The character of 'Green' is complex and the story leads you on an adventure of thought and action.
Kevin
Started off slow, made me want to stop reading a few times but it picked was enjoyable.
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1)
  • Honeyed Words (Sarah Beauhall #2)
  • Quintessence
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • Broken Mirrors (Marla Mason, #5)
  • Hellhound (Deadtown, #5)
  • Corsair
  • Shattered Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #6)
  • The Dragon Men (Clockwork Empire, #3)
  • How to Make a Zombie: The Real Life (and Death) Science of Reanimation and Mind Control
  • Kitty in the Underworld (Kitty Norville, #12)
  • The Executioness
  • The Kassa Gambit
  • Shadow
  • The Machine Awakes (Spider Wars #2)
  • Three Princes
  • Shattered Pillars (Eternal Sky, #2)
Died June 1, 2014.

Jay Lake lived in Portland, Oregon, where he worked on multiple writing and editing projects. His 2007 book Mainspring received a starred review in Booklist. His short fiction appeared regularly in literary and genre markets worldwide. Jay won the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, and was a multiple nominee for the Hugo and World Fantasy Awards.
More about Jay Lake...

Green Universe (3 books)
  • Green (Green Universe #1)
  • Endurance (Green Universe, #2)
Mainspring (Clockwork Earth #1) Green (Green Universe #1) METAtropolis: Cascadia Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2) Endurance (Green Universe, #2)

“Do not teach your congregation to pray.
Someday they might succeed.”
1 likes
“I wished I’d thought of that last before I’d departed. It might have been good advice to give out in my final days in Copper Downs, had I been able to fit such a conversation in between my busy schedule of murder, arson, and funerary rites.” 0 likes