Start by marking “A Nest of Occasionals” as Want to Read:
A Nest of Occasionals

A Nest of Occasionals

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Following on from the dubious, but resounding, success of Lolly Scramble, comedian Tony Martin returns with another collection of tales from his life outside show business. Outrageous coincidences, disgraceful errors of judgement, ancient family disputes and misguided attempts to impress women are just part of the story.

You'll be both amused and appalled as Martin establis
Published November 1st 2009 by Macmillan Australia (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Nest of Occasionals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Nest of Occasionals

Meredith Walker

More snippets from Martin's life history. Amusing in the same vein as Lolly Scramble but holistically not as laugh-out-loud funny.
Beau Johnston
An entertaining follow up to Lolly Scramble: A Memoir of Little Consequence. Not as strong as his first book, but still worth a read.
Shaun Major
Clearly a clever writer and there are several entertaining episodes throughout the book. However, hilarious is overstating the book as a whole as it is peppered with tales that are too flat to sustain it. Disappointing.
bigmuzz
i've been a big fan of Tony's for years thru his tv work such as The Late Show, and his film work such as Bad Eggs, so when I saw this book in the library I knew I had to give it a go. as expected it was full of funny stories, a few gags, some great wordplay, and of course a lot of nerdy humour. very interesting to learn about tony's earlier years. i will now have to track down his first book, Lolly Scramble, methinks... :)
Catherine
A little more autobiographical than Martin's earlier work " Lolly Scramble" with more details of his family life and upbringing. This is still the same hilarious writing though- Whether he's talking about mad stepfathers,fireworks or sex education in the seventies, Martin has a perceptive and insightful humour that brings forth hilarity from life's every day banalities. He also talks about burping.
Librarylinda
Hilarious. I do love a book where you laugh out loud. His descriptions of life in NZ and the piss taking off the accent rully made me guggle. His grandmother was such an old unpopular cow in the town where he grew up - the shocking comments made by the elderly people he asked were just wonderful.

A very quick read but well worth it, the husband does get sick of me reading funny bits aloud.
Shane
Some very, very funny sections littered through the book. But this was tempered with some flat bits as well. Considering it only cost me $5, I'm not too disappointed.
Vanessa
Another hilarious collection of stories from Tony Martin's life that still make me laugh whenever I think about them.
Tee
More snippets from Martin's life history. Same vein as Lolly Scramble - but a wee bit more melancholy.
Linda
Very funny. Martin makes the mundane seem hilarious.
Sasha
Completely re-readable, over & over & over.
Mick
Mick marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Erik
Erik added it
May 03, 2014
Arran
Arran marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Damien Ahchow
Damien Ahchow is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dr. Tony Martin is Emeritus Professor of Africana Studies at Wellesley College, Massachusetts, where he taught from 1973 to 2007. Prior to coming to Wellesley, he taught at the University of Michigan-Flint, the Cipriani Labour College (Trinidad), and St. Mary's College (Trinidad). He has been a visiting professor at the University of Minnesota, Brandeis University, Brown University, and The Colora ...more
More about Tony Martin...
Lolly Scramble: A Memoir of Little Consequence Message to the People: The Course of African Philosophy Race First: The Ideological and Organizational Struggles of Marcus Garvey and the Universal Negro Improvement Association Scarcely Relevant The Poetical Works of Marcus Garvey