Start by marking “Black Brillion: A Novel of the Archonate” as Want to Read:
Black Brillion: A Novel of the Archonate

Black Brillion: A Novel of the Archonate

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Boro Harkless has devoted his life to the service of the Archonite Bureau of Security, the force tasked with keeping the peace among and within the city-states of Old Earth. An idealist driven by the memory of his heroic father, he comes to the city of Sherit, seeking the notorious Luff Imbry.

Luff Imbry has devoted his life to the enjoyment of wealth. A gourmet, a charmer,
Published October 1st 2005 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Black Brillion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Brillion

Derek
Aug 14, 2013 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dying-earth
Jack Vance didn't invent the "dying earth" setting (Clark Ashton Smith's "Zothique" cycle predates by decades), but in terms of influence Vance cast an indelible stamp on the subgenre. Others have expanded and duplicated, but I think it takes a special vision to see Vance's Dying Earth and rewind the chronology to a slightly earlier epoch, the Penultimate Age.

The people of the Archonate are losing interest in their immeasurable history, as they have lost interest in the conflicts and strivings t
Ursula Pflug
Sep 23, 2009 Ursula Pflug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The following review appeared in The Peterborough Examiner in December, 2004 and was reprinted in The New York Review of Science Fiction in June, 2005.

Black Brillion is the third novel in Canadian Matthew Hughes’ Archonate series, a science fantasy trilogy, the first two titles being Fools Errant and Fool Me Twice. Baro Harkless is a recent graduate of the Bureau of Scrutiny, kind of a cross between CSIS and an old school detective agency. As unwilling partner to his first catch, Luff Imbry, co
Jon
Jan 29, 2012 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit weak for Matthew Hughes. An Archonate book, but the hero's character seems a bit too stretched, and the end is a bit unsatisfactory.

At 3 *, I wouldn't re-read this.

Aaron Singleton
Feb 20, 2016 Aaron Singleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was the first work I ever read by Matthew Hughes after I had talked to him on the Jack Vance MB. He was such a nice guy I thought I would give his stuff a try. Am I ever glad I did! So far, Matt has a perfect record with me. I have honestly enjoyed everything he has written (at least in the SF/F genre) and look forward to many more great hours lost among the streets of Olkney on Old Earth.

In Black Brillion we are introduced to one Luff Imbry, a corpulent master-thief, and Baro Harkless, a l
Lord Humungus

This book takes place in roughly the same world as Jack Vance's Dying Earth. After reading Majestrum, which I liked quite a bit, I wanted to read more in the same vein.

The book starts off with a conventional "unlikely duo" premise, and the back and forth between the two characters was very entertaining. Somewhere mid-book, an alternate setting is introduced, initially only as an experiment for one of the characters. Quite a bit of the book focuses on this new setting, and what began as a brief a
Bruce
Jul 17, 2009 Bruce rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
This book sat by my bedside for many months. I would read a few pages before bed when I was in the mood.

It never spurred my interest to go for a more concerted read. Eventually I found I had lost track of some of the plot and characters. I skipped ahead to the end, read that, and was unimpressed.

Very Jack Vancey, in a too much way. Not enough of the humour that made the Gist Hunter entertaining.
Trip
Jan 04, 2009 Trip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I don't like the Commons-oriented books as much as Hughes's other books, but I don't.
Cully
Jul 27, 2013 Cully rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much of the book is oriented around "The Commons", which I never found that interesting.
Richard
Interesting but meandering story of illness in the Archonate.
PragashPio
Apr 05, 2014 PragashPio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book really made the 'ancient earth' background work.
Paul R
Paul R marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Malban
Malban marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Scotoma
Scotoma rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Kristy Halseth
Kristy Halseth marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Holly Prestridge
Holly Prestridge rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Danon
Danon marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Michael Larson
Michael Larson rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Charity
Charity marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Lou
Lou added it
Jan 24, 2016
Paul F
Paul F marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jay
Jay added it
Jan 06, 2016
Joshua Williams
Joshua Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Quest for Simbilis (The Dying Earth, #2.5)
  • Big Planet
  • Thraxas and the Ice Dragon (Thraxas, #9)
  • The High Place
  • The Devil's Other Storybook
  • Mage Quest (Daimbert, #3)
  • Beyond the Pawpaw Trees: The Story of Anna Lavinia
  • Scanners Live in Vain
  • Beyond Infinity
  • Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)
Born in Liverpool, his family moved to Canada when he was five years old. Married since late 1960s, he has three grown sons. He is currently relocated to Britain. He is a former director of the Federation of British Columbia Writers.

A university drop-out from a working poor background, he worked in a factory that made school desks, drove a grocery delivery truck, was night janitor in a GM dealersh
More about Matthew Hughes...