Start by marking “The Stone Roses: War and Peace” as Want to Read:
The Stone Roses: War and Peace

The Stone Roses: War and Peace

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The Stone Roses captures the magic—and chaos—behind the UK band's rise, fall, and recent resurrection.

The iconicBrit popband The Stone Roses became an overnight sensation when their 1989 eponymous album went double platinum.It was a recording that is still often listed as one of the best albums ever made. Its chiming guitar riffs, anthemic melodies, and Smiths-like pop sen
Published April 2nd 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Roses

Mattkelly
Pretty average as far as band biographies go. I felt like most of it was culled from magazine interviews and other second hand sources. But even from that I learned a lot about the band I never knew. It's a pretty sad story of lost opportunity and bad decisions, but in the final analysis they seemed to have an almost punk ethos that they stood for throughout their history.

They didn't follow trends, sign to trendy labels when they easily could have, or go along with the rest of the indie crowd i
Marti
Sep 21, 2015 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-genre
This would have been a much better book if the band themselves were not so reticent about giving interviews. For that reason, it falls short of Andrew Loog Oldham's memoirs (also ghost-written by the same author).

To me, whole "Madchester" music scene of the late 80's ranks among the watershed musical movements that changed the culture and eventually fizzled due to overexposure (such as Liverpool circa 1962; Seattle 1990; London/New York 1977 and Los Angeles 1965). The Stone Roses were at the for
Bob Schnell
I usually know a lot more about a band before I read the biography, but before I read this one I could only name one member of the band and knew next to nothing about their story. This book was, therefore, quite an education even though the band members generally did not cooperate with the author. I highly recommend watching the video "The Complete Stone Roses" after reading the book as many of the memorable scenes in the book are included.

The story of The Stone Roses is basically that they were
Tvtowerbaby
I can't decide if I like this book or I just like the subject. Fascinating insight into the Stone Roses but the nerdy, over-detailed style meant it took me an age to get into this. The book revolves more around contracts and a bewildering array of management bods than it does the band members. As a result, by the end of it, I didn't feel I had learned more about the band members or - by extension - their music. I personally would have foregone some of the detail for a few decent anecdotes (cf th ...more
Barry
Jul 01, 2015 Barry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, music
A reasonable history of The Stone Roses describing their formation, rise to prominence and recording one of the greatest albums ever before imploding and their split and eventual reunion.

The book is very readable although input from the core band members is quite limited, relying on second hand sources for much of the bands quotes. What is decent is the range of interviews from people on the periphery of the band.

I'm not going to suggest the book is inaccurate but I had a raised eyebrow or two i
Stephen
Oct 26, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting book looking at the career of the stone roses from the start to the reunion with parts of where the band gradually blew apart with in fighting but worth reading though about a prime mover of the madchester scene of the late 80's/early 90's
Russio
Oct 19, 2015 Russio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seems pretty authentic and it recreates that 89/90/91 Roses heyday effectively enough for me to still feel a frisson of excitement for those days: they remain one of the best bands of all time and shone out amongst charts full of plastic drivel with a blinding light.

The book shows a few things very strongly: 1) their unquestionable talent; 2) the often revolting sides of their personalities - narcissistic, violent, capricious, etc. 3) conversely, the occasional brilliance of their personali
Jeff Howells
The Stone Roses arguably have the biggest reputation based on the smallest output in the history of recorded music. On the basis of this biography it's not entirely clear how this actually came about (other than being in the right place at the right time). By all accounts they are an extremely lazy, unorganised, arrogant band, but for a brief moment captured the zeitgeist, so a lot of people of my generation are prepared to give them a hell of a lot of slack. It's clear the author is a big fan, ...more
Rog Harrison
I am not sure why I read this as I am not a fan of the Stone Roses though I do have some of their albums in my collection. It is a fascinating story of a band who created a mystique which lasted for years based pretty much on one album. The book ends with an account of their reunion concerts which I admit had entirely passed me by! Still it encouraged me to dig out their albums and give them another listen. Well worth a read if you like reading about musicians and the music business.
Tim
Sep 14, 2014 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stone Roses: War and Peace by Simon Spence is a good rock history (as opposed to criticism) meticulously researched, fair minded, narrative-driven. And even someone like me - not the biggest admirer of the Roses bar Fools Gold and Waterfall - can see that he's got compelling subject matter.

A thoughtful read. Recommended.
Dan
Aug 25, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a 'must-read' for big fans of the band. An interesting documentation of the bands rise, fall and rise again. Only disappointment was the lack of new information of the wilderness years (91-93). But doubt we will get any of that information until someone close to the band releases a book on the band. 4/5.
Steve
May 01, 2014 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hey, hey they’re The Monkees (of the late 80’s early 90’s) and people think they were monkeying around. I say true fans more than any other are likely to enjoy this book, the chart chronicle being overshadowed by descriptions of the colour of Ian’s underwear while recording Sally Cinnamon and ‘John’ attempts to make his breakfast cereal look like a Jackson Pollock painting.
Jamison Spencer
May 28, 2015 Jamison Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid telling of the SR story, all the way through the reunion.
Tadhg Maccarthy
Nov 01, 2015 Tadhg Maccarthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-work
How not to run a band. Suffers from lack of band involvement but meticulously researched. Fills in the blanks. One for the fans.
Gregarious cline
Jun 13, 2013 Gregarious cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The saga of the Stone Roses is a must for anyone interested in the history of pop music. How a band spent sooooo long doing sooooo little (product/output wise) while making such an impact is seriously amazing. The integrity of Brown and Reni is inspiring and refreshing. I also learned that Slash was aggressively keen to replace Squire on guitar which elevates Slash to superduperstar in my book.
Michael
Oct 10, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love the roses or british music you'll really enjoy it. I found it interesting, as it squashed a few rumors I had heard over the years of drugs, their connection to oasis and so on. Well worth the read!
Scott Forrest
Mar 28, 2015 Scott Forrest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Interesting read charting the rise and fall of The Roses. The early line ups, the music, the gigs, bad deals, fall outs, walk outs, court cases and the recent come back shows are all here.
Vel
Jun 06, 2014 Vel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
A book that will delight and enlighten any Stone Roses fan - it's brilliant.
Rory Doyle
Probably the best of the current books available. Worth the prices for the pictures alone. Some new information but generally what most die hard fans would already know.
Peter
Jan 04, 2013 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. As a fan it was a revealing insight into the bands history. Also a good look at this period in Manchester around the Ian Wilson/Hacienda period. Enjoyed it.
Steven Gibson
Jun 29, 2013 Steven Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in a day...loved it! Great memories and if you have never seen them live...do so!
Chris Harrison
Jun 09, 2016 Chris Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent read for a fan, might be a bit hard reading for a non fan
Jack
Jack is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
L.L.
L.L. marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Seth
Seth rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Mike Gatley
Mike Gatley marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Jon Rupinski
Jon Rupinski marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Matt Healey
Matt Healey is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2016
  • Before I Get Old: The Story of the Who
  • 12 Days on the Road: The Sex Pistols and America
  • 24 Hour Party People
  • Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, or My Life As a Fabulous Ronette
  • The Trouser Press Record Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Alternative Music