Start by marking “The Stone Roses: War and Peace” as Want to Read:
The Stone Roses: War and Peace

The Stone Roses: War and Peace

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Stone Roses captures the magic—and chaos—behind the UK band's rise, fall, and recent resurrection.

The iconicBrit popband The Stone Roses became an overnight sensation when their 1989 eponymous album went double platinum.It was a recording that is still often listed as one of the best albums ever made. Its chiming guitar riffs, anthemic melodies, and Smiths-like pop sen
Published April 2nd 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Roses

Mattkelly
Pretty average as far as band biographies go. I felt like most of it was culled from magazine interviews and other second hand sources. But even from that I learned a lot about the band I never knew. It's a pretty sad story of lost opportunity and bad decisions, but in the final analysis they seemed to have an almost punk ethos that they stood for throughout their history.

They didn't follow trends, sign to trendy labels when they easily could have, or go along with the rest of the indie crowd i
Marti
This would have been a much better book if the band themselves were not so reticent about giving interviews. For that reason, it falls short of Andrew Loog Oldham's memoirs (also ghost-written by the same author).

To me, whole "Madchester" music scene of the late 80's ranks among the watershed musical movements that changed the culture and eventually fizzled due to overexposure (such as Liverpool circa 1962; Seattle 1990; London/New York 1977 and Los Angeles 1965). The Stone Roses were at the for
Bob Schnell
I usually know a lot more about a band before I read the biography, but before I read this one I could only name one member of the band and knew next to nothing about their story. This book was, therefore, quite an education even though the band members generally did not cooperate with the author. I highly recommend watching the video "The Complete Stone Roses" after reading the book as many of the memorable scenes in the book are included.

The story of The Stone Roses is basically that they were
Stephen
interesting book looking at the career of the stone roses from the start to the reunion with parts of where the band gradually blew apart with in fighting but worth reading though about a prime mover of the madchester scene of the late 80's/early 90's
Tim
The Stone Roses: War and Peace by Simon Spence is a good rock history (as opposed to criticism) meticulously researched, fair minded, narrative-driven. And even someone like me - not the biggest admirer of the Roses bar Fools Gold and Waterfall - can see that he's got compelling subject matter.

A thoughtful read. Recommended.
Dan
Definitely a 'must-read' for big fans of the band. An interesting documentation of the bands rise, fall and rise again. Only disappointment was the lack of new information of the wilderness years (91-93). But doubt we will get any of that information until someone close to the band releases a book on the band. 4/5.
Steve
Hey, hey they’re The Monkees (of the late 80’s early 90’s) and people think they were monkeying around. I say true fans more than any other are likely to enjoy this book, the chart chronicle being overshadowed by descriptions of the colour of Ian’s underwear while recording Sally Cinnamon and ‘John’ attempts to make his breakfast cereal look like a Jackson Pollock painting.
Tvtowerbaby
I can't decide if I like this book or I just like the subject. Fascinating insight into the Stone Roses but the nerdy, over-detailed style meant it took me an age to get into this. The book revolves more around contracts and a bewildering array of management bods than it does the band members. As a result, by the end of it, I didn't feel I had learned more about the band members or - by extension - their music. I personally would have foregone some of the detail for a few decent anecdotes (cf th ...more
Gregarious cline
The saga of the Stone Roses is a must for anyone interested in the history of pop music. How a band spent sooooo long doing sooooo little (product/output wise) while making such an impact is seriously amazing. The integrity of Brown and Reni is inspiring and refreshing. I also learned that Slash was aggressively keen to replace Squire on guitar which elevates Slash to superduperstar in my book.
Michael
If you love the roses or british music you'll really enjoy it. I found it interesting, as it squashed a few rumors I had heard over the years of drugs, their connection to oasis and so on. Well worth the read!
Vel
A book that will delight and enlighten any Stone Roses fan - it's brilliant.
Rory Doyle
Probably the best of the current books available. Worth the prices for the pictures alone. Some new information but generally what most die hard fans would already know.
Peter
Good read. As a fan it was a revealing insight into the bands history. Also a good look at this period in Manchester around the Ian Wilson/Hacienda period. Enjoyed it.
Steven Gibson
Read this in a day...loved it! Great memories and if you have never seen them live...do so!
Rebecca
Rebecca is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Lauren Cassie
Lauren Cassie marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Milly
Milly marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Alexander Nilsson
Alexander Nilsson marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
CeleryPierce
CeleryPierce marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Just Can't Get Enough: The Making of Depeche Mode Happy Mondays Excess All Areas The Stone Roses: War and Peace Happy Mondays: Excess All Areas Perseus