Start by marking “The Stone Roses: War and Peace” as Want to Read:
The Stone Roses: War and Peace

The Stone Roses: War and Peace

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Stone Roses captures the magic—and chaos—behind the UK band's rise, fall, and recent resurrection.

The iconicBrit popband The Stone Roses became an overnight sensation when their 1989 eponymous album went double platinum.It was a recording that is still often listed as one of the best albums ever made. Its chiming guitar riffs, anthemic melodies, and Smiths-like pop sen
Published April 2nd 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Roses

Pretty average as far as band biographies go. I felt like most of it was culled from magazine interviews and other second hand sources. But even from that I learned a lot about the band I never knew. It's a pretty sad story of lost opportunity and bad decisions, but in the final analysis they seemed to have an almost punk ethos that they stood for throughout their history.

They didn't follow trends, sign to trendy labels when they easily could have, or go along with the rest of the indie crowd i
This would have been a much better book if the band themselves were not so reticent about giving interviews. For that reason, it falls short of Andrew Loog Oldham's memoirs (also ghost-written by the same author).

To me, whole "Madchester" music scene of the late 80's ranks among the watershed musical movements that changed the culture and eventually fizzled due to overexposure (such as Liverpool circa 1962; Seattle 1990; London/New York 1977 and Los Angeles 1965). The Stone Roses were at the for
Bob Schnell
I usually know a lot more about a band before I read the biography, but before I read this one I could only name one member of the band and knew next to nothing about their story. This book was, therefore, quite an education even though the band members generally did not cooperate with the author. I highly recommend watching the video "The Complete Stone Roses" after reading the book as many of the memorable scenes in the book are included.

The story of The Stone Roses is basically that they were
I can't decide if I like this book or I just like the subject. Fascinating insight into the Stone Roses but the nerdy, over-detailed style meant it took me an age to get into this. The book revolves more around contracts and a bewildering array of management bods than it does the band members. As a result, by the end of it, I didn't feel I had learned more about the band members or - by extension - their music. I personally would have foregone some of the detail for a few decent anecdotes (cf th ...more
A reasonable history of The Stone Roses describing their formation, rise to prominence and recording one of the greatest albums ever before imploding and their split and eventual reunion.

The book is very readable although input from the core band members is quite limited, relying on second hand sources for much of the bands quotes. What is decent is the range of interviews from people on the periphery of the band.

I'm not going to suggest the book is inaccurate but I had a raised eyebrow or two i
interesting book looking at the career of the stone roses from the start to the reunion with parts of where the band gradually blew apart with in fighting but worth reading though about a prime mover of the madchester scene of the late 80's/early 90's
Rog Harrison
I am not sure why I read this as I am not a fan of the Stone Roses though I do have some of their albums in my collection. It is a fascinating story of a band who created a mystique which lasted for years based pretty much on one album. The book ends with an account of their reunion concerts which I admit had entirely passed me by! Still it encouraged me to dig out their albums and give them another listen. Well worth a read if you like reading about musicians and the music business.
The Stone Roses: War and Peace by Simon Spence is a good rock history (as opposed to criticism) meticulously researched, fair minded, narrative-driven. And even someone like me - not the biggest admirer of the Roses bar Fools Gold and Waterfall - can see that he's got compelling subject matter.

A thoughtful read. Recommended.
Definitely a 'must-read' for big fans of the band. An interesting documentation of the bands rise, fall and rise again. Only disappointment was the lack of new information of the wilderness years (91-93). But doubt we will get any of that information until someone close to the band releases a book on the band. 4/5.
Hey, hey they’re The Monkees (of the late 80’s early 90’s) and people think they were monkeying around. I say true fans more than any other are likely to enjoy this book, the chart chronicle being overshadowed by descriptions of the colour of Ian’s underwear while recording Sally Cinnamon and ‘John’ attempts to make his breakfast cereal look like a Jackson Pollock painting.
Jamison Spencer
Solid telling of the SR story, all the way through the reunion.
Gregarious cline
The saga of the Stone Roses is a must for anyone interested in the history of pop music. How a band spent sooooo long doing sooooo little (product/output wise) while making such an impact is seriously amazing. The integrity of Brown and Reni is inspiring and refreshing. I also learned that Slash was aggressively keen to replace Squire on guitar which elevates Slash to superduperstar in my book.
If you love the roses or british music you'll really enjoy it. I found it interesting, as it squashed a few rumors I had heard over the years of drugs, their connection to oasis and so on. Well worth the read!
Scott Forrest
Interesting read charting the rise and fall of The Roses. The early line ups, the music, the gigs, bad deals, fall outs, walk outs, court cases and the recent come back shows are all here.
A book that will delight and enlighten any Stone Roses fan - it's brilliant.
Rory Doyle
Probably the best of the current books available. Worth the prices for the pictures alone. Some new information but generally what most die hard fans would already know.
Good read. As a fan it was a revealing insight into the bands history. Also a good look at this period in Manchester around the Ian Wilson/Hacienda period. Enjoyed it.
Steven Gibson
Read this in a day...loved it! Great memories and if you have never seen them so!
Steve is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2015
Derek is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2015
Grace Povey-West
Grace Povey-West is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2015
Gerry added it
Sep 21, 2015
Milantropio marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Andrey Monakhov
Andrey Monakhov marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Saruul marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Roberto Burgos
Roberto Burgos marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Simon marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • 12 Days on the Road: The Sex Pistols and America
  • Making Tracks: The Rise of Blondie
  • Before I Get Old: The Story of the Who
  • Satchmo: My Life in New Orleans
  • Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, or My Life As a Fabulous Ronette
  • All Yesterdays' Parties: The Velvet Underground in Print, 1966-1971
  • Waiting for the Sun: Strange Days, Weird Scenes, and The Sound Of Los Angeles
  • Me, the Mob, and the Music: One Helluva Ride with Tommy James & The Shondells
  • Nico: Songs They Never Play on the Radio
  • Fool the World: The Oral History of a Band Called Pixies
  • Confusion Is Next: The Sonic Youth Story
  • Britpop!: Cool Britannia And The Spectacular Demise Of English Rock
  • Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend
Just Can't Get Enough: The making of Depeche Mode Happy Mondays: Excess All Areas Happy Mondays Excess All Areas The Stone Roses: War and Peace Odysseus: Early Myths: Greek myths for children