Start by marking “December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel” as Want to Read:
December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel

December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel (Fever Devilin #7)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  35 reviews
"December's thorn, cruelest in the wood, Will give no rose, but still draw blood" Traditional

Fever Devilin is an academic with a complicated past and an unusual view of the world. A folklorist by training, he's returned to his family home in Blue Mountain, a small town in the heart of Georgia's Appalachian Mountains, where nothing is ever quite what it seems, and the past...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by Minotaur Books (first published January 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about December's Thorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about December's Thorn

Evgeny
First things first: I need to mention I received this book in Goodreads giveaways.

Fever Devilin is a retired professor living in a secluded location in a small town. He recovers from a coma (I think it was explained in the previous book). Suddenly a strange woman comes to him claiming to be his wife with his child. Poor Fever does not have any recollection of ever being married, let alone having children, he is also currently engaged - so the complications arise. Strange things start piling up,...more
Carolyn
I won this novel from goodreads.com. I absolutely loved this book. Mr. DePoy is responsible for me not doing much besides reading about Fever Devilin and the bizarre life he lived. Every page had me second guessing what I thought would be the outcome. I have to say that I was completely blown away when it was revealed who David and Iscod really were. Not at all what I expected!
Now, I want to go back and read the other Fever Devilin novels.
Mr. DePoy has a new fan in Louisiana!
Katie
I really look forward to each new book in this series. It is always a pleasure to see what Fever is up to this time, and the plots are most definitely twisted. I never manage to guess "Whodunnit".
Steph
A giant pet peeve of mine is reading books out of order. When I stumble upon an author who is new to me, whose work I enjoy, I like to go to the beginning and start with their first book and read them in order from there. Many books stand alone and can be read in any order and still be entertaining, but reading all the books by an author, especially those with a recurring character, builds layers of comprehension and enjoyment that is missed if you go in random order.

A few years ago, I picked up...more
Cheryl
READ THE FEVER DEVILIN BOOKS IN ORDER!!!!!

Okay there - I've said it again in big letters.

Can you read these out of order? Sure, but you'll be missing that little special something called context that will keep you from experiencing Fever's history and world to the fullest. This is a family history series that just happens to have a mystery in each book. Actually you could probably get away with reading the first batch out of order but these last 3 are really a trilogy: The Drifter's Wheel, A Co...more
Diane
I throughly enjoyed this selection, my first by Philip DuPoy, as the story moved back and forth between the protagonist and the weaving of mythology from several different cultures. It reminds as how similar we are, rather than how different.

You find yourself trying to solve the mystery, as you would any other. By following the clues you are given. Unfortunately, the clues keep changing and being added to, and you find yourself searching for a thread you might have missed along the way.

I'll cert...more
Angela Hostetler
I've read all of the Fever Devlin novels. Thoroughly enjoyed this one! Easy read, great characters, beautiful descriptive scenery. The intertwining of character story lines is better to those who have followed the characters thru the other books but is not dependent upon it. Highly recommend.
Garryvivianne
I'm not sure why I even finished this book. Guess I was hoping it would get better at some point. To start with, the main character's name is Fever, this in itself always threw me off. Fever lives alone in the woods, snow & trees all around him. Don't even remember now, but seems like he was always getting hurt, in fact had been in a long coma, so when he says things, people are not sure if he might be hallucinating. A strange lady at the door claiming to be his wife...& a son, & a s...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I love Depoy's characters - they are unique, quirky and well-thought out. His books and characters always have a kind of psychological bent to them.
The stories are entertaining as well as knowledgeable.
December's Thorn catches us up with a new episode in the life of Fever Devilin. Fever is a "retired" folktales professor who lives in the Blue Mountains. He has always been a bit strange to his friends but since his last ordeal in which he was in a coma for several months, his friends have been co...more
Ronald Roseborough
What would you do if a strange but rather winsome woman came to your door in the middle of the night and said she was your wife. Would you let her in or slam the door? Well, Fever Devilin, an ex-professor and folklorist, lets her into his home in the Appalachian backwoods of Georgia. Fever is recovering from recently being in a coma which may have robbed him of some of his memories. Coupled with that is the fact that he has always experienced things that others could not see. Now he has a border...more
Ashley
I received this book from Macmillan through a First Reads giveaway, thank you!

I should preface this by saying I have not read the previous six Fever Devilin novels. It worked just fine as a stand-alone, although I'm sure some of the tidbits in this book would have made a little more sense had I read the older ones (ie Fever's coma). I did find this book enjoyable enough that I'm planning on reading 1-6 now.

When a woman shows up at Fever Devilin's door claiming to be his wife, and better yet to h...more
Suspense Magazine
December's Thorn
By Phillip DePoy
I like surreal, I like mystery, and I like a detachment from the ‘norm.’ Which means I like DePoy’s latest Fever Devilin novel. To enter Fever’s world is to take a chance that nothing is real or at least, nothing is as it seems…because you may not know what it is to begin with. Understand? No? Well, welcome to Devilin’s life.

Trying to recover from a near death experience—which included being in a coma—Fever Devilin receives a strange visitor to his Blue Mountain,...more
Jay Massiet
I received this book in a first-reads giveaway.

While December's Thorn is decent, there wasn't anything about the novel that's memorable. Without going into the details of the novel, just in case someone who sees my review still wants to read it, I can say that most of the book is about Fever trying to convince those around him that what he saw, who he encountered, and what's happening to him are real. I haven't read the previous books in the series, but this book lets the reader know that Fever...more
LJ
First Sentence: The past lingers all around us, a clear winter’s light, and a shroud.

Not only is academic and folklorist Fever Devlin still recovering for a coma after nearly dying, but his friends are concerned that he is crazy. This fear increases after Fever claims to have been visited by a woman claiming to be his wife and that he has a son. However, when there is no evidence of this woman having been there, Fever’s fiancée asks a friend, Dr. Nelson, to stay with him. No matter what they thi...more
Raye
DePoy's novels seem marinated in mystery, and you're never quite sure if what's happening is real or in our hero's head. Fever Devilin is an Atlanta academic who's fled the city to live in the north Georgia mountains where he grew up. DePoy's mysteries that feature Fever are, like December's Thorn, evocative and place-specific without ever being condescending to their Southern settings. Highly recommended.
Jason
* I won this book for free through the Goodreads first reads program.

I have never read any of the Fever Devilin books until now, and man am I going to get the rest of them. They are set in a part Georgia, very close to where I live, and they live up to the true southern culture. I love all things southern, so this was the perfect book for me. It also dabbles in folk-lore and old wives tales, and if you grew up in the south, you have deffanetly had expriance with thease.
This book was kind of a...more
Pat
Since I won this in a Goodreads give away, I would like to recommend it highly, but that would not be honest or fair to the next reader.Someone else on Goodreads captured the essence: not great, not terrible, a few nice touches in the Southern-fried characters and the folklore/mythology references woven into the plot but the plot is weak, improbable and sustains no real tension(kind of a drawback in a mystery series). There is some clever dialogue and then there's a lot of "filling up space" dia...more
Sandy Humes
Not the best in the series, but I still enjoyed Fever's story.
Very imaginative and wonderfully descriptive writing.
Martha
Had never read this author before. This book is a series book but I did not feel as if i had to have read the previous Fever Devilin books.However the story was so interesting I will be looking for the other books in the series to read. The character Fever Devilin is very likeable and I totally enjoyed the weaving of the myth of Tristan and Iseult into the story and as usual I was left looking up further information on this myth. Love stories that enrich my knowledge on any subject. Loved the qu...more
Susan
Fever Devilin has seen things invisible to other people, but he's sure that the woman who showed up at his door is real. Of course, she claims to be his wife, and he doesn't remember ever seeing her before, but she's not a hallucination, though she disappears before his fiancee and his best friend, the local sheriff, arrive. A psychiatrist who's been hired to help him does see her, and also the little boy who keeps shooting out Fever's windows. It's another weird piece of Fever's past come back...more
Myriad
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I'll admit I haven't read any of the other books in the series, so I probably didn't get all of the nuances a more familiar reader might have, but I enjoyed the book nonetheless. It had a wonderful haunting, not-quite-real quality that was quite appropriate for a book about a folklorist with memory issues. The ending seemed a bit sudden, but other than that, no real complaints. I may even pick up the others in the series if the mood strikes.
Sue
In late December Fever Devilin is awoken by a knock. At his door he finds a young woman claiming to be his wife, a woman he swears he has never seen before. His friends believe that Fever has been hallucinating, but then the shooting starts. Can Fever recover his missing past in time to save his future?
This is a wonderful series filled with great characters and ambience. You may want to start ast the beginning with The Devil’s Hearth.
I want to go back and read them all again.
Gail Richardson
RECEIVED BOOK FREE THROUGH GOODREADS FIRST READS. I wasn't sure about this read for the first few pages. Then, morsels of how Fever got to be where he is, began to gel...AND, I was hooked. I'm still a little creeped out by Issie, David and Tristin. All in all Phillip DePoy wove an inticate tale. I would reccomend this book...but, would read the other Fever Devilin first (what kind of name is Fever???)
Ann
This book is a continuation of the last book in some ways, it is also a deeper character study of Fever, but not in the conventional sense - more of a study of memories, when are they real, when are they a byproduct of reality and when are they fabricated out of whole cloth? We spend the majority of the time on the mountain in and near Fever's cabin where the familiar reveals hidden depths.
Diane S.
I love this series, the character Fever Devlin, the mixing of folklore in the storylines. In this book the reader gets to examine the psyche of Fever as they try to solve the current mystery he is presented with. Such a unique psychological series, with a very unique character who sometimes has trouble decoding what is real or what is not.
Grace
I enjoyed it, but I shouldn't have read it right after a UK procedural. Bad idea... still had my police-officer hat on, and kept catching little details that were driving me nuts. My mistake, I'll remember next time (hopefully).
Brandi
What a great booklets of twists and turns never expected the ending! I do love a good book that can surprise you and in fact I could see this one as a movie :) I am so glad I won this one on good reads kudos to the author!
Agnes
Paranormal happenings in the backwoods of Georgia. All kinds of family relations. Real or ghost? Witch or psychiatrist? Definitely a strange story.
JoDee
The author, through this unique narrator, blends just the right amount of reality and myth. I liked this much more than the previous one.
Sue Q
Nov 26, 2012 Sue Q marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just received this today (Feb 19/13) after winning it in a Goodreads giveaway a few months ago! Yay! Will be starting soon.
  • Dead Lions
  • Lay the Favorite: A Memoir of Gambling
  • Lincoln: A President for the Ages
  • The Book of Why
  • Against My Will
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • Perfect Hatred
  • Driver's Education
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
  • Famous and the Dead, The
  • Murder as a Second Language (Claire Malloy, #19)
  • The Devil's Edge (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #11)
  • Ghetto Medic: A Father in the 'Hood
  • The Boyfriend (Jack Till, #2)
  • Steve McQueen: A Biography
  • Dead Man's Fancy (Sean Stranahan Mystery #3)
  • The Two Week Wait
  • Last Breath: A Sherry Moore Novel
Phillip DePoy has published short fiction, poetry, and criticism in Story, The Southern Poetry Review, Xanadu, Yankee, and other magazines. He is currently the creative director of the Maurice Townsend Center for the Performing Arts at the State University of West Georgia, and has had many productions of his plays at regional theaters throughout the south. He is the recipient of numerous grants fr...more
More about Phillip DePoy...
The Witch's Grave (Fever Devilin, #2) A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3) The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1) The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5) A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4)