Start by marking “Midwinterblood” as Want to Read:
Midwinterblood

Midwinterblood

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  8,424 Ratings  ·  1,760 Reviews
Seven stories of passion and love separated by centuries but mysteriously intertwined—this is a tale of horror and beauty, tenderness and sacrifice.
An archaeologist who unearths a mysterious artifact, an airman who finds himself far from home, a painter, a ghost, a vampire, and a Viking: the seven stories in this compelling novel all take place on the remote Scandinavian
Published February 5th 2013 by Roaring Brook Press (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Midwinterblood, please sign up.

Penny It certainly didn't stop me sleeping, and a big woss when it comes to horror. It's the sort of book that deals in eternal themes, certainly in death;…moreIt certainly didn't stop me sleeping, and a big woss when it comes to horror. It's the sort of book that deals in eternal themes, certainly in death; it's thoughtful and haunting, but it didn't frighten or disgust me.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jessica I think it was from the war in the 3rd story, when the planes flew over the island and dropped their bombs 'to be lighter, so they could fly faster'…moreI think it was from the war in the 3rd story, when the planes flew over the island and dropped their bombs 'to be lighter, so they could fly faster' but ending up killing Sarah, the daughter of the couple that was taking care of the injured airman. I figured it was from that. Just another way to connect the stories, without being as significant as some of the other connections.(less)

Wendy Darling
Why are readers drawn to horror? Read our Q & A with Marcus Sedgwick, the Printz honor author of Midwinterblood. Plus win a finished copy of this fantastic book!

4.5 stars Blood-soaked nightmares. Of another time. Of another place. Of another life.

The unusual story of Midwinterblood begins in the future, in the year 2073. A young journalist named Eric arrives on a remote island, where it is rumored that the people live forever. He is immediately drawn to a woman named Merle, but soon begins
Emily May
Sep 12, 2011 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2011, arc

What a pleasant surprise this book was. It's the first one I've read by Marcus Sedgwick, I've been putting off reading his other works after hearing them repeatedly described as "weird". And I get that, this was extremely weird and the kind of book that makes very little sense until the end. But it was a great story, the writing was brilliant and I really liked the whole concept.

This is a very difficult review to write beyond using rather empty adjectives like "amazing" and "great", mostly beca
Vane J.
4.5 out of 5 stars

See this?

I changed my bio on my blog to include Marcus Sedgwick amongst my favourite authors. After reading The Ghosts of Heaven, White Crow and Midwinterblood, I finally realised he belongs there.

What is Midwinterblood? It's a story about two souls, told in seven parts. It starts in the year 2073 with the journalist Eric Seven arriving on the island Blessed, in which there are strange rumours about the people. When he gets there, he meets a beautiful woman called Merle and som
Neil (or bleed)
EDIT: I found a copy of Midwinterblood in Booksale.
description
But I can't find this cover/edition on Goodreads. Shame.

"To bless means to sacrifice, and in blood."

The first time I learned about Midwinterblood is when I've read a post about Printz-honor books of 2014. Midwinterblood is one of the short-listed. In the end, it won the prestigious Michael L. Printz Award. But I didn't read the book at that time since I thought I will not enjoy this book. And that's one of the worst mistake I made in my life b
Ferdy
Oct 25, 2014 Ferdy rated it it was ok
Spoilers

This was a bit of an unusual YA novel, there was nothing really YA about it (except maybe the insta-love).
The premise and the mystery of sorts was quite engrossing until the actual 'reveal' at the end, which was a let down. The characters, the relationships, the worldbuilding and the ending weren't that great either.

-What's what: The seven lives of Eric, Merle and their so called love. Each reincarnation has a different short story of sorts and are all set on the mysterious Blessed isla
Paige  Bookdragon
description

This book has a Viking, Vampires, Ghosts and very powerful orchid. Now don't knock this book down. If you haven't read any Marcus Sedgwick, then it's time you should.Midwinterblood is one of the weirdest book that I read.

Here's a tip: You have to finish the book.

Some people find it difficult to finish the book because it's weird. Well, poptarts are weird but still, you eat it because it's for your own good. Same with this book, all the weirdness connects and after the last page of the book,
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Aug 14, 2014 Chantal (Every Word A Doorway) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chantal by: Vane

I finished this book more than a week ago and I still don’t know how to review or rate it. How do you review a novel like this? The story is so much stranger and so different from other things I’ve read that it’s difficult to compare. What I do know though is that I really enjoyed it. It only took about a page before I was sucked into the story; the novel is very intriguing and once you start you won’t want to put it down.

I’m not going to tell you what Midwinterblood is about because I
Regan
Jul 10, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

THIS WAS REALLY REALLY COOL! The story telling in this story is A+. I am an absolute sucker for novels with multiple story threads that eventually tie together!
Beth
May 22, 2013 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
After telling people all week that I don't understand how Newbery and Printz criteria actually lead to objectivity, I'm going to try to review this book objectively as an exercise.

1. Is there a plot arc? No. There is no plot. This is a character-focused work.

2. Is there a character arc? Surprisingly, no. (view spoiler)
Elena
I read this for a book club, and the other book club attendees loved it. They loved it because it was new and different and fresh, because it compelled you to continue reading because you just had to know what was going on, and because it was beautifully written.

I concede all of the above points. It is new and different and fresh, it's beautifully written, and this isn't a book you can really bring yourself to DNF. But when I reached the end, my reaction was, "Huh. Well, that was...weird." I spe
Monica Edinger
Mar 02, 2013 Monica Edinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From this blog review:

I’m a far-ranging reader, happily reading a picture book one minute and a book for adults the next. Professionally, being a 4th grade teacher and reviewer, not a librarian, I tend to read only YA that really intrigues me for one reason or another and I have to shamefully admit that until now what I’d heard about Marcus Sedgwick’s books — that they were dark and creepy — did not make me want to read them. But recently, I saw something interesting about his latest, Midwinterb
Megan
Feb 05, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not heard much about MIDWINTERBLOOD before I picked it up one day on a whim. I had heard good things from a few of my favorite bloggers, and I thought, “Why not?” It’s a story combining the past, the present, and the future, intricately linked in mysterious ways by an island with a very mysterious history. My first reaction was to think of CLOUD ATLAS, but the more I read this story, the more I found myself racing through the pages, I began to realize it was something else entirely.

REINCAR
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Midwinterblood is everything I have come to expect from a Marcus Sedgwick book. It's creepy, clever and keeps with you long after you finish reading it. Oh and you need to read every page before the whole thing finally clicks into place and fully makes sense.

The book is told in sections, each section going back in time from the one before it. I found this way of story telling to be really unusual and a clever way of telling a story. Getting the little snippets throughout time meant you started t
Victor Almeida
Minha exata reação ao terminar: ??????????

Vamos lá, o que achei. Um pouco desapontante. A conclusão e a explicação de todo o livro foram insatisfatórias e não me convenceram muito. As coisas foram se encaixando só depois que terminei a leitura, e mesmo assim ainda fiquei um pouco confuso.

Ele é daqueles livros que você vai lendo vários "contos" aleatórios e que te deixam sem entender muita coisa, mas no final uma explicação rápida une tudo. Já vi isso acontecer de forma fantástica em "O Vilarejo"
Mel
Fantastic. Just fantastic.

You can buy a copy for yourself here: http://www.bookdepository.com/search?...

This is an utterly unique and fascinating story! I have never read anything like it and I think that is a small part of what made this absolutely fantastic to read!
This story follows 2 characters through 7 different stories in a descending timeline. It starts in 2073 with 2 characters, and you get to hear their lives all the way back to the 9th century. It's a story of love and mystery and r
Valentina
Jan 07, 2013 Valentina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I’ll be honest, when I picked this book up, I wasn’t expecting much from it. The cover made it look like just another in the long line of teen fiction (which it is definitely not), so I was reluctant to start reading it.

Whatever my expectations were, they disappeared within a few pages. Not only is this book not for teens, but it has a beauty of prose that really took me by complete surprise. The story arch is beautifully crafted. We come into the novel with no real idea of what’s going on. We
usagi ☆ミ
There's something so gorgeously unsettling about this book, yet I couldn't put it down. I just knew that I had to find out what happened at the end, through this journey across time, going backward with each short story linked therein. If you want something new, dark, and luminously beautiful with sensory imagery and language that will make your skin crawl, "Midwinterblood" is most definitely your book.

I think the largest issue I had with this book was its sparseness - it was both the best and t
Zorana Mitrović
Mar 14, 2017 Zorana Mitrović rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Ne sećam se da sam nekada čitala nešto slično ovome.. eventualno "Vremeplovčeva žena", ali opet dosta drugačije.

Još uvek je misterija kom uzrastu je ova knjiga namenjena pošto stoji na dečjem odeljku, al' definitivno nije dečja, na knjizi piše 13+, ali retki su tinejdžeri koji bi ovu knjigu razumeli na pravi način i kojima bi se dopala.
Pretpostavljam da je namenjena svima pa ko prepozna nešto svoje u njoj- prepozna, ostali neće biti nešto preterano oduševljeni.

Roman je podeljen na 6 priča i poči
Books are TARDIS
This book definitely gets an A in out of the box story telling. Spooky and eerie from start till end. The book didn't go into scary territory at all, but definitely remained creepy.

Pros: I definitely raced through the middle of the story. The mystery aspect worked like a charm. The interlinking in the various stages of the story and the repetition of motifs like the hare are excellent touches. Also, this book has piqued my interest in viking lore. Also also, the book has similar vibes to The Fou
Tania
Apr 29, 2014 Tania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, fantasy
"I will live seven times and I will look for you and love you in each life. Will you follow?”

I liked:
1. the backwards circular path of the story
2. the magical realism element
3. the dream-quality to the writing
I always struggle with short-stories as I feel that I don't have enough time to become invested in the characters and I had the same problem here. I really loved the viking/vampire story, and wouldn't mind reading a complete book about this.

The Story: Seven stories of passion and love separ
Neda
Feb 09, 2015 Neda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, ya-lit
Couldn't believe this novel is that good.. :) Whatever you read, all characters, their names, everything is as it should be.. Everything is in its own place.. Such a clever writer..
I really enjoyed it.
TheBookSmugglers
Oct 19, 2011 TheBookSmugglers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Thea’s Take:

I have heard good things about Marcus Sedgwick, so when we were offered the chance to review Midwinterblood, I jumped at the chance. I wasn’t sure what to expect with Midwinterblood, but I certainly had no idea that I would love this book so much. Beautifully composed in seven parts, traveling backwards in time to the origin of Eric and Merle’s tragic story, Midwinterblood is a reverse-palimpsest of sorts – wholly unexpected, haunting, and
May 20, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Rachel
Jan 18, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The storytelling is amazing and the idea is unique. This is not your typical YA cliche love story. I read it so quickly and was never once bored. Beautiful writing. So much to think about.

I don't think I've ever read anything quite like it. This is a story that will stay with me for a long time...so it is.
Allison
Jul 04, 2016 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great condensed (and more readable) Cloud Atlas kind of novel! Been in my to-read pile forever so glad that I finally got around to this, especially with Sedgwick's Blood Red Snow White in my ARC pile!
Andjela
"Sometimes there are single moments, he thinks, where your path divides, your life can go one way, so very different from another. Work out well, rather than be a failure. And if you miss those chances, he thinks, well, is that it?”

This book is hauntingly beautiful, yet utterly strange. Seven stories woven into one, cleverly fused by recurrent motifs. With its central theme being cyclic existence, Midwinterblood is bound to make you think. What if there are people in your life with whom you
Rachel
Jan 05, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
*4.5 stars*
I liked this a lot ! Wow it was definitely unlike anything I've ever read before, and it had a lot of interesting themes / symbolism going on. This book was just an experience unlike anything I've ever read before and I want to keep this review kind of short, because I think half the fun of this book is finding out what's going on along the way.

Plot- This is definitely a plot centered book. It's composed of many short stories, but they're all related and connected to one another. The
Denisa C
May 07, 2016 Denisa C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author has been recommened over and over again by my friend Claudia. And I am so glad I finally read something by Marcus Sedgwick.
It is hard to explain this book, because you can't say something about it, without giving spoilers. I would say to go into it knowing nothing. It is for the better. I do that with most of my books and it's just wonderful.
The book contains short stories that somehow intertwined throughout the novel. It is better to discover how by yourself, looking for names or
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
This one reminded me of The Brides of Rollrock Island in structure. However, my mind continued to wonder while I was reading this one. I get the idea and the story, but I'll probably forget it in a couple of months.
YA, MG, Seriously: Midwinterblood: Is this YA? 19 38 Mar 13, 2015 02:25PM
  • Black Helicopters
  • Maggot Moon
  • In Darkness
  • The White Bicycle (Wild Orchard, #3)
  • The Kingdom of Little Wounds
  • Scowler
  • Far Far Away
  • Out of Darkness
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • Postcards from No Man's Land
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • Darius  Twig
  • Mortal Fire
  • Black Juice
  • No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller
  • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass
  • In the Shadow of Blackbirds
  • Sex & Violence
Marcus Sedgwick was born in Kent, England. Marcus is a British author and illustrator as well as a musician. He is the author of several books, including Witch Hill and The Book of Dead Days, both of which were nominated for the Edgar Allan Poe Award. The most recent of these nominations rekindled a fascination with Poe that has borne fruit here in (in The Restless Dead, 2007) the form of "The Hea ...more
More about Marcus Sedgwick...

“If a life can be ruined in a single moment, a moment of betrayal, or violence, or ill luck, then why can a life not also be saved, be worth living, be made, by just a few pure moments of perfection?” 77 likes
“He wonders if a few moments of utter and total joy can be worth a lifetime of struggle.

Maybe, he thinks. Maybe, if they're the right moments.”
13 likes