Start by marking “Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls” as Want to Read:
Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls

Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls (Emmy #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Emmy Addison is an ordinary girl—almost. If you don’t count the fact that her parents are rich (very), her best friend is a boy (and a soccer star), and she can talk to rodents (and they talk back), she’s very ordinary indeed. But she hasn’t been that way for long . . .

It was only a few weeks ago that Emmy and her friends Ratty and Joe got rid of the evil Miss Barmy, the n
Published June 8th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published October 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls

Monica Edinger
Rebecca Trujillo Batty
This is the follow up story to Emmy and The Incredibly Shrinking Rat. I will keep it short so I don't spoil much of anything for those reading the first book. In this one we have returning characters, Emmy, Raston, Miss Barmy among others. We also have new characters like Meg that play an important role in the storyline. For those reading the first one, I will leave this review with this one question: Will Emmy end up at the Home for Troubled Girls anyway OR will Miss Barmy win in another way?! ...more
Christina
Again... Eh.

In the second of the trilogy, Emmy discovers that the girls who appear on Miss Barmy's cane may actually be alive, but she wants a normal life with friends her age now that Miss Barmy's spells are not keeping others from noticing her anymore. Emmy is torn between being a normal young lady and helping her animal friends as well as the missing girls. And is Miss Barmy becoming good? Emmy doesn't think so but almost everyone else does and Emmy tries desperately to convince them it is al
Valerie
I loved this book as much as I loved the prequel (Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat). The themes become a bit more complex as Emmy tries to deal with fitting in with potential new friends versus being friends with a bunch of rodents (and doesn't always make the right decisions). I liked that about it because it just made Emmy seem more real.

And that's a sweet thing about this book - even though it's about a girl who can talk to rats and rodents, shrink down to four inches in size, and even
Stacy268
Aug 26, 2008 Stacy268 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure lovin' kids
Shelves: middle-grade, tween
Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat is a book that I have always meant to read. In fact, I was supposed to read it this summer since I had the arc of Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls in my hot little hands. Well, it didn't happen, so I took a leap of faith and jumped right in to the second installment.

Emmy's life is back to normal, and she is trying to distance herself from the rodents. Afterall, who is going to want to hang out with a girl who talks to rats? She knows that it is thanks to
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
I am always skeptical about a sequel when the first book is so good, so complete and ends so satisfyingly. I was afraid that this one would have been just a repeat of the first story with some forced central conflict that can't produce fresh ideas or obstacles. I'm glad to report that my fear was not realized! At the center of the story is Emmy's need to belong to what she believes as a "normal" girl's life. After the excitements and adversaries from the previous episodes, it is natural for her ...more
Addison Children
Second book on a series. (Man I hate that.) I enjoyed it well enough, but was sorry I hadn't read the first one. Emmy has a rat friend and because of his bite, she can understand all rodent speak. When he bites her again, she becomes small enough to move through the vast rodent world, underground. (His rat sister can reverse the smallness with a kiss.) A battle of good vs. evil and learning how to be a friend. Check it out.
Kezermezer
Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls picks up where its predecessor, Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat, left off. All Emmy Addison wants is to be a normal girl, but how normal can she be with the ability to converse with rodents? At least she's finally seen the last of Miss Barmy, the evil nanny she and her friends defeated mere weeks ago. After all, how much damage can Miss Barmy cause as a rat?

Reading this, the second in the series, is an experience very similar to the first, which is lar
Andria
Similar to series of unfortunate events. Thought the rat part of the story would turn me off but it didn't. The story was ok and I definitely see that there are students who will like this book/series but I didn't love it. Could be because I didn't like series of unfortunate events and tend not to love anything that reminds me of that series. There was nothing wrong with it and it was pretty well written, just didn't appeal to me.
lia
The second book continued where its left off. Emmy's life is better now. She has friends (Joe, the football star and rats of course), her parents starting to recognize her and her friends at school no longer ignore her.

So Emmy strive for ordinariness and she can't be ordinary if she can talk to rats and they talk back!
Emmy was in a dilemma. She wants human friends, some girls she can have pool party with and having a sleep over. In wanting this, she made bad choices that she regret later on.

T
Aneesa
Jan 08, 2009 Aneesa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 9-11 year old kids, or read aloud for parents
Even though I didn't LOVE the first one, Joseph requested the second, and--so I checked it out, and I really like this one! Maybe I'm just more used to the characters, but I thought it was a good children's mystery, taught about the importance of being loyal to friends, and true to yourself.
A couple things that annoyed me were: the beginning where the author plays "catch-up" with new readers who missed the first book (this ALWAYS bothers me although I understand the purpose) and the many many l
Scarlett
This is the sequel to Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat. I had originally listed this as being read in the middle of January since I was all ready to begin, but did not get around to reading it until the last couple of days due to college work. It can be read in one easy sitting if someone so desires. This is an upper elementary level Battle of the Books selection.
I would recommend reading the first novel about the Incredible Shrinking Rat or you'll lose some meaning to references in the Tr
Anna
3.5:
I liked this one, but I didn't like the main character, Emmy, at the beginning of the story. The author probably did it on purpose, but I definitely did not like Emmy. However, I started to like her again as the book went on. Overall, I liked the first book more, but I still really enjoyed reading this one.
Terry
The sequel to “Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat” is just about as good as it’s predecessor, and in some ways better. But I still rated a 4 has it felt a little predictable to me. I enjoyed “Shrinking Rat” so much, and while this wasn’t disappointing, maybe just not as fresh as the first installment. Jonell creates fascinating characters, but 2 and 4 legged, and you find yourself caring about most of them. What I find fascinating about Joenell’s writing is that while the story is set in a to ...more
Julie G Snow
Emmy and the art

I had already read the first book in the series and I really liked it. after I read the first book, I thought, why not read the second book! Emmy and the rat is the series.
Laura Salas
Lauren
First of all, if it's a sequel, you shouldn't have to play that much "catch up" with the readers at the beginning of the book. Second of all, if you're going to jump back and forth between stories, make it consistent. Third of all, neither story was developed enough, so it was confusing at times. The ending wasn't fantastic, either. Definitely not my favorite book.
Sara K.
1/28/11-The library called this one back for the second time...back to the 'to read' list.

8/23/11 - Once I got going with this one, I didn't want to put it down. I let Summer Sara be in charge and stayed up late to finish. What I really like about this one is that I saw the small loose end in the first book that became the connection to the main plot thrust of this book. The author subtly left it hanging and then picked it up for book 2. Very excellent! This book explores when happens when you m
Shannon
This generation's answer to dated editions of The Borrowers, The Littles, and Stuart Little. I actually preferred this book to the first Emmy book.
Rhiannon20
The sequel to 'Emmmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat', 'Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls', is about this girl called Emmy who can talk with rodents, but all of a sudden doesn't want to because she thinks it isn't "normal". The rodents and her also have an adventure rescuing these tiny, shrunken little slave girls.
I didn't like this book as much as the first, because all off a sudden Emmy is mean. In the first book, she is called, 'Good'. But in this book she's kind of mean all of a sudden.
Rachel
It took me a while to read this novel to my boys for a few reasons. (One being I wasn't terribly interested in it.) We read the first book right before reading this one and though there is another sequel, my 8 year old said a few weeks ago, "Let's take a break from the Emmy books after this." Agreed. There are some things that this novel as a sequel does very well (building off the first story, furthering character development) but the story felt flat. But kudos to Jonell for improving her prose ...more
Sam Bloom
Pretty disappointing sequel to Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat, which was one of my favorite children's novels of 2007. First of all, who is Jonell writing these books for? The story appeals to grades 1-3, but the book is hard enough that most 3rd graders wouldn't know all the words. Forget about the 1st and 2nd graders. Then there's the fact that it was just downright boring for the first 100 or so pages. Too bad, because I was pretty excited about this when it came out. If there's a thir ...more
Shyana
Im lost how do i read it??
Camy
It's a good story I couldn't stop reading it I almost forgot to go to the bathroom I love Lynn jonell she's one of my favorite author in the world I inspired her I wish when I grow up I want to become just like her I always wish to be a author like if you read EMMY AND THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING RAT if you look on the side of the book you can see Raston on the side of the book flip the pages and you will see him falling down and Emmy catching him in her hands I wish I could stop reading her books ...more
Faith
Emmy's evil ex-nanny, Miss Barmy, is seeking revenge. She comes up with a plan to take over Rodent City (and be famous). Of course Cheswick will help Miss Barmy. He would do anything for her. Meanwhile in the attic, there is a plan to escape....

Reason why I like this book-

Reason 1- The book caught my eye, because if you flip the pages there will be a motion picture of a rat climbing a rope.

Reason 2- I could imagine what was happening.

Reason 3- The rodents are amazing.
Cute! It's got elements of other books I liked as a kid (one - name I don't remember - about a girl with a pin that could talk to animals, the other was Octagon Magic) and it didn't really matter that this was a sequel to a book I'd not read. Unfortunately, it's a little young for my students but for Grades 3/4 it'll be a winner.
Anne
Emmy and her best friend, a boy named Joe, can talk to rodents ever since they were bitten by a rat. (in a previous book?) Emmy is whiny and obnoxious. Joe is amazingly tolerant of her, especially for a boy.
Storyline is unusual in some respects, but if you want great talking animals read Charlotte's Web instead.
Mackenzie
**** SPOLIERS****

This book was half as good as the 1st one. I really thought that it was too unrealistic for it to be any good and it was kind of about friendship which I think makes the book look REALLY sappy. Also the main character was weak and didn't stand up for herself and whats up with the genie-mouse?
Maddie
I felt that the freshness and creativity of the first book was absence from this one. The story is rather predictable. The main character had many out-of-character moments just for the sake of advancing the plot. It introduced too many new characters, so enough attention is given to the older characters.
Ashley Herring Blake
This sequel, like its predecessor, has a very interesting story line. Rats, shrinking, tiny girls...it's all weird, but it works. A good story, well told for the most part. My one complaint is that, at times, the author's descriptions were either too vague or too convoluted to form a clear picture.
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Horton Halfpott: or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset
  • The Aurora County All-Stars
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Out of the Woods
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • The Demon in the Teahouse (Samurai Detective, #2)
  • Roxie and the Hooligans
  • Last Summer With Maizon
  • The Empress's Tomb (Kiki Strike, #2)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano: But She Does Love Being in Recitals (Moxy Maxwell, #3)
  • Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • The Mysterious Case of the Allbright Academy
  • Lexie
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
Lynne Jonell is the author of three novels and seven picture books for children, published by Henry Holt and Penguin/Putnam. Her first novel, Emmy & the Incredible Shrinking Rat, won the Minnesota Book Award, and her most recent novel, The Secret of Zoom, is a Junior Library Guild Selection. Her books have received starred reviews in Horn Book, Kirkus Reviews, School Library Journal, Publisher ...more
More about Lynne Jonell...
Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat The Secret of Zoom Hamster Magic (Magical Mix-Ups, #1) Emmy and the Rats in the Belfry Lawn Mower Magic (Magical Mix-Ups, #2)