Start by marking “That Way Murder Lies: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery” as Want to Read:
That Way Murder Lies: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery

That Way Murder Lies: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery (Mitchell and Markby #15)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Meredith Mitchell is delighted when an old friend from her consular days, Toby Smythe, turns up on leave between foreign postings. But Toby has a problem---or rather his relative Alison Jenner has---and Toby wants to enlist the help of Meredith's fiancé, Detective Superintendent Alan Markby. Alison has been receiving anonymous hate mail in which reference is made to a time ...more
Published January 30th 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about That Way Murder Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Way Murder Lies

Shirley Schwartz
I think this book is the last in the Mitchell and Markby series as it was released in 2004 and no new books in this series have come out since. That's not to say it's the last of Ann Granger's books or series, as she has many other series in her backlist. I must say I'm sorry to see the end of Meredith and Alan Markby. I have enjoyed them and their sleuthing as well as their rather complicated and prolonged love life. At the end of this book, they are happily looking forward to their marriage an ...more
Gary Van Cott
This is the final Mitchell and Markby mystery from Granger. The blub on the cover of the books describes the series as a blend of the cozy Mystery and the police procedural and I think that is a fair description.

I don't think this book brings the series to a conclusion. Perhaps the author just ran out of steam. Especially as it can't have been easy to think of ways to get Mitchell involved in investiations. She was 65 when this was published but she has written other books since then.

I have hav
Kim
I am so sorry that this is the last of the series. I read that the author hasn't completely ruled out another, but that she doesn't see where they can go. I can see lots of places! Both of them have talked about retiring and we didn't even get to see them married despite investing all of this time in the relationship. I'd love to read about their married life, I'd love to see Markby finally get his garden and I'd LOVE to see Meredith lose some of her prickliness!
Marie
An author I haven't read in awhile...It was nice to revisit old characters
Verity W
The last in the Mitchell and Markby series, and I have to say, I was hoping for a bit more closure, but generally a good read, with a well thought through plot. I had my suspicions about how it was going to work out, but was had my eye on the wrong person for quite a while!
Andrea Sachs
A very satisfactory mystery. Just enough mystery, and lots of character development. I like all the Granger books I've read so far. They aren't spectacular, but typical English mysteries, and good reads
Carmen
The wedding is coming closer and closer in the series. By developing the characters, and how they accept things, Ann Granger is showing us a vignette of British life.
Cassandra Yue
This is much better than A Word After Dying. I'm glad. Looking for a new mystery author to read. Seems like no one can match up to Agatha Christie.
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue.
Susie
OK. Easy to read. The annoying part: nobody has a clue what's going on, and then suddenly everybody knows.
Julie
not as good as the others. last of the series. wish she would write more.
Sharneel
An easy read. Calmly diverting. Really between a two and three.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Comments soon, catching up.

Ingrid
Undemanding, but nice to read.
Agatha
Agatha marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Karschtl
Karschtl marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Cathy Thomson
Cathy Thomson marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Linda
Linda added it
Apr 19, 2015
Margie
Margie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Victoria Campbell
Victoria Campbell marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
June
June added it
Mar 13, 2015
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3)
  • Pursuit
  • Malice in the Highlands (Erskine Powell, #1)
  • Blood and Honey (DI Joe Faraday, #6)
  • Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5)
  • The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)
  • Skinner's Ghosts
  • Gone to Ground (Will Grayson and Helen Walker, #1)
  • Maigret and the Reluctant Witnesses
  • Naakte zielen
  • Die Täuschung
  • Never Say Die / Whistleblower
  • The Marshal and the Madwoman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Death By Sheer Torture (Perry Trethowan, #1)
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...

Mitchell and Markby (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (Mitchell and Markby Village, #3)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • Where Old Bones Lie (Mitchell and Markby Village, #5)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Flowers for His Funeral (Mitchell and Markby Village, #7)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • A Touch of Mortality (Mitchell and Markby Village, #9)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)
Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1) The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1) A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2) A Mortal Curiosity (Lizzie Martin, #2) Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)