Start by marking “That Way Murder Lies: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery” as Want to Read:
That Way Murder Lies: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery

That Way Murder Lies: A Mitchell and Markby Mystery (Mitchell and Markby #15)

Meredith Mitchell is delighted when an old friend from her consular days, Toby Smythe, turns up on leave between foreign postings. But Toby has a problem---or rather his relative Alison Jenner has---and Toby wants to enlist the help of Meredith's fiancé, Detective Superintendent Alan Markby. Alison has been receiving anonymous hate mail in which reference is made to a time ...more
Published January 30th 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about That Way Murder Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Way Murder Lies

Kavita
May 23, 2015 Kavita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Midway between old-world detective story and a police procedural, That Way Murder Lies is about average. The police in this book is Alan Markby, a dour man who hates people at random without any reason. His fiancee, Meredith Mitchell works in a consulate. Her friend from the consulate is Toby Smythe, who turns up with a mystery to solve, and Meredith convinces Alan to look into it.

I really liked the scope of the mystery. Toby's cousin's wife, Alison, was acquitted for a murder when she was in h
Gary Van Cott
This is the final Mitchell and Markby mystery from Granger. The blub on the cover of the books describes the series as a blend of the cozy Mystery and the police procedural and I think that is a fair description.

I don't think this book brings the series to a conclusion. Perhaps the author just ran out of steam. Especially as it can't have been easy to think of ways to get Mitchell involved in investiations. She was 65 when this was published but she has written other books since then.

I have hav
Damaskcat
May 14, 2016 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meredith Mitchell's old friend, Toby Smythe returns from a posting in Beijing and asks for her help in getting to the bottom of some poison pen letters his cousin's wife has been receiving. Really he wants her to talk to her fiancé - Superintendent Alan Markby about them. Meredith is reluctant to get involved but Toby is a friend - even if Alan doesn't particularly like him. But Alan is interested and agrees to have lunch with Toby's cousin and his wife.

Jeremy's wife, Alison, was tried for the m
Shirley Schwartz
Apr 28, 2015 Shirley Schwartz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is the last in the Mitchell and Markby series as it was released in 2004 and no new books in this series have come out since. That's not to say it's the last of Ann Granger's books or series, as she has many other series in her backlist. I must say I'm sorry to see the end of Meredith and Alan Markby. I have enjoyed them and their sleuthing as well as their rather complicated and prolonged love life. At the end of this book, they are happily looking forward to their marriage an ...more
Shannon
This is a good, solid English cozy/police procedural and a satisfying read. Yes, I caught the criminals about mid-way, but that in no way diminished my enjoyment of the story. The plot was strong, the characters, while somewhat mundane, are at least likeable and not annoying.
Overview: It is the Easter holidays and Meredith Mitchell's friend Toby has extended family troubles. It seems his cousin's wife is getting disturbing anonymous letters. The next thing you know, her step-daughter is murdered
Peggy
Dec 04, 2016 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann Granger was recommended to me as an author similar to Agatha Christie and I think that's a legitimate comparison. This book is set in contemporary time, though, so it also reminded me of mystery series like Midsomer Murders. It's definitely worth reading if you like good cozy English mystery writing -- the detectives aren't ridden with huge angst or poor social skills, the crimes aren't described in horrifically gory terms, the mystery is complex enough that the solution isn't easy to guess ...more
Kim
Mar 03, 2015 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so sorry that this is the last of the series. I read that the author hasn't completely ruled out another, but that she doesn't see where they can go. I can see lots of places! Both of them have talked about retiring and we didn't even get to see them married despite investing all of this time in the relationship. I'd love to read about their married life, I'd love to see Markby finally get his garden and I'd LOVE to see Meredith lose some of her prickliness!
Verity W
The last in the Mitchell and Markby series, and I have to say, I was hoping for a bit more closure, but generally a good read, with a well thought through plot. I had my suspicions about how it was going to work out, but was had my eye on the wrong person for quite a while!
Andrea Sachs
Jun 14, 2012 Andrea Sachs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very satisfactory mystery. Just enough mystery, and lots of character development. I like all the Granger books I've read so far. They aren't spectacular, but typical English mysteries, and good reads
JenniferB
Jun 25, 2016 JenniferB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last in the M&M series (Ah) introduces new character Jess Campbell. Not her best but still good.
Cassandra Yue
This is much better than A Word After Dying. I'm glad. Looking for a new mystery author to read. Seems like no one can match up to Agatha Christie.
Nancy
Jan 15, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one very much - found the characters were intriguing and love those English mysteries!
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue.
Susan Cabaniss
I'll likely go back to start this series from the beginning. Not bad, and it'll probably get better once I know the characters more...
Sharneel
Oct 25, 2010 Sharneel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
An easy read. Calmly diverting. Really between a two and three.
Susie
Aug 27, 2009 Susie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK. Easy to read. The annoying part: nobody has a clue what's going on, and then suddenly everybody knows.
Maureen
Dec 06, 2016 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and marksby and Mitchell. Lots of English phrases I don't understand but manage to make sense of what is being written.

Carmen
May 18, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The wedding is coming closer and closer in the series. By developing the characters, and how they accept things, Ann Granger is showing us a vignette of British life.
Ingrid
Oct 05, 2011 Ingrid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undemanding, but nice to read.
Joan Sheppard
Joan Sheppard rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Joan Sheppard
Joan Sheppard rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Shauna
Shauna rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2017
Ebeth12001
Ebeth12001 rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2011
Annemieke
Annemieke rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Kaye
Kaye rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2009
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Mary Smith
Mary Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Baz
Baz rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2009
Ann Dixon
Ann Dixon rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • Blood and Honey (DI Joe Faraday, #6)
  • The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)
  • The Bones In The Attic (Charlie Peace, #7)
  • Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
  • Puppet For A Corpse
  • Skinner's Ghosts (Bob Skinner, #7)
  • The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)
  • An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3)
  • The Dead Place (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #6)
  • The Marshal and the Madwoman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #6)
  • Never Say Die / Whistleblower
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Malice in the Highlands (Erskine Powell, #1)
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...

Mitchell and Markby (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (Mitchell and Markby Village, #3)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • Where Old Bones Lie (Mitchell and Markby Village, #5)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Flowers for His Funeral (Mitchell and Markby Village, #7)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • A Touch of Mortality (Mitchell and Markby Village, #9)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)