Start by marking “A Rebel In Time” as Want to Read:
A Rebel In Time

A Rebel In Time

Can history be changed?

Can the South still win the War Between the States?

Colonel McCulloch thinks so...and his gold, his gun, and some very special blueprints stand behind him to help him prove it.

Sargeant Harmon is a black man who hopes not...and only his readiness, ingenuity, and wit stand behind him to help him stop it.

In the corridors of contemporary Washington and on
Published February 15th 1983 by Tor Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about A Rebel In Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rebel In Time

Kemper
Treasure of the Rubbermaids 21: The Great Dixie Machine Gun Time-Mowing Adventure Crossover!

At long last! Because I need a gimmick to drum up some votes to keep Patrick Rothfuss from passing me on the all time reviewer’s list the people of Goodreads demanded it, I proudly present the first crossover of two of my most popular features: The Treasure of the Rubbermaids and The Time-Mower Adventures!

The on-going discoveries of priceless books and comics found in a stack of Rubbermaid containers prev
Tyrone
Feb 10, 2011 Tyrone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like SF action/mystery with a twist of alternate history and time travel
Been struggling to finish a number of books recently. Been falling asleep almost as soon as I've read a page. Enjoyment of the book seemed to change nothing so I thought I'd opt for one of my comfort reads in the hope it would kick start my reading again.

Not even a book I've loved since my early teens and have read probably about 10 times (normally in one or two sittings max)could break through my fatigue and to complicate matters I came down with a nasty head cold stretching this out to 7 days
Alex
I'm a bit vexed on this one. Within the narrative, the time-travel was teased at for *far* too long to be so central an element of the text as to be mentioned in its very title. Also, the paralyzing fear of altering the past that so suffuses the actions of the 'good guys' made many of the late-game decisions cause me to be unable to suspend disbelief.

That said, it wasn't a *bad* book. I was intrigued enough to keep reading, and even though the mystery of the the noir-esque murder-subplot at the
Sarah Sammis
A Rebel in Time by Harry Harrison is a time travel / alternate history story that starts as a straight up mystery. Sergeant Harmon is sent to investigate a large amount of missing gold and some violent crimes all tied to a missing Colonel McCulloh.

Eventually Harmon learns of a secret government time machine project. To everyone's surprise, McCulloh has managed to make the machine work well enough to transport himself and his stolen gold back in time, a few years before the start of the Civil War
Mark
Dec 05, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent science fiction detective yarn about a black intelligence officer who follows a bigoted army colonel bak to pre Civil War Virginia. The colonel has brought gold coins to build an arms manufacturing plant. He plans to manufacture the Sten submachine gun and supply the confederate cavalry. The intelligence officer must prevent the colonel from creating an alternate history without creating time paradoxes.
Sean Randall
All the hallmarks of an enjoyable story but none of the pace or tension one would expect. The introduction of the time machine was far too delayed and the final import of its operating possibilities mentioned briefly but utterly ignored for far too long. The lead is almost too good, except for his clear fanaticism for the US. Still, it's a part of history...
Gmackster
Jun 23, 2013 Gmackster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great concept: a white supremacist who also happens to be head of security for a government lab in DC developing a time machine steals it and goes back to the days before the Civil War with a fortune in gold and blueprints of how to manufacture a machine gun. An African American FBI agent goes after him: back to the old south where slavery is rampant.
Ian
May 17, 2014 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read, and an interestingly robust rejection of racism by Harrison. The subject is Harry's typical down to earth, hero who ultimately sacrifices everything in order to track down his man. Some interesting takes on the time travelling trope, but no real detail explored. Overall a well told story of good vs evil.
Paige
Aug 03, 2012 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. It's not fantastic literature, but it's got time travel, a dash of detective novel, a clear good guy and a real irredeemable bastard of a bad guy. And sometimes, I really need a book like that.
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

Nominally a paradox novel, A Rebel in Time was notable for bringing Harrison’s refreshingly liberal values to the field of adventure science fiction: a black army sergeant pursues a racist colonel back through time to the outbreak of the American Civil War.
Peter
Interesting idea but suffers from some major logic flaws - like a lot of Time Travel books
Keith
Good sci-fi/time travel story of men who try to change the course of the Civil War.
Jason Case
This book is bold in its treatment of African American's and slavery. It could have been much longer but his treatment left an impression.
Richard E.
Oct 26, 2012 Richard E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
have read this one 3-4 times. Always a fun read, love the premise, kept simple & it works. Great Ending too! Won't spoil it.
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Bill Sullivan
Bill Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2011
Yury Bogdanov
Yury Bogdanov rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2008
Maurice
Maurice rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
peter willmer
peter willmer rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2017
P.P. Corcoran
P.P. Corcoran rated it it was ok
May 18, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Wheeler
Wheeler rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Mike Briggs
Mike Briggs rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
Scott Haney
Scott Haney rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Len
Len rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Lynne
Lynne rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2010
  • The Zenda Vendetta (Time Wars, #4)
  • Times Without Number
  • Hannibal's Children
  • The Shield of Time (Time Patrol, #5)
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • Space, Inc
  • The Man with the Iron Heart
  • Kaleidoscope Century (Century Next Door, #2)
  • 1636: The Kremlin Games (Assiti Shards, #13)
  • Dracula Unbound

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...