Start by marking “A Rebel In Time” as Want to Read:
A Rebel In Time

A Rebel In Time

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Can history be changed?Can the South still win the War Between the States?Colonel McCulloch thinks so...and his gold, his gun, and some very special blueprints stand behind him to help him prove it.Sargeant Harmon is a black man who hopes not...and only his readiness, ingenuity, and wit stand behind him to help him stop it.In the corridors of contemporary Washington and on ...more
Published February 15th 1983 by Tor Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about A Rebel In Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rebel In Time

Kemper
Treasure of the Rubbermaids 21: The Great Dixie Machine Gun Time-Mowing Adventure Crossover!

At long last! Because I need a gimmick to drum up some votes to keep Patrick Rothfuss from passing me on the all time reviewer’s list the people of Goodreads demanded it, I proudly present the first crossover of two of my most popular features: The Treasure of the Rubbermaids and The Time-Mower Adventures!

The on-going discoveries of priceless books and comics found in a stack of Rubbermaid containers prev
Tyrone
Mar 13, 2012 Tyrone rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like SF action/mystery with a twist of alternate history and time travel
Been struggling to finish a number of books recently. Been falling asleep almost as soon as I've read a page. Enjoyment of the book seemed to change nothing so I thought I'd opt for one of my comfort reads in the hope it would kick start my reading again.

Not even a book I've loved since my early teens and have read probably about 10 times (normally in one or two sittings max)could break through my fatigue and to complicate matters I came down with a nasty head cold stretching this out to 7 days
Alex
I'm a bit vexed on this one. Within the narrative, the time-travel was teased at for *far* too long to be so central an element of the text as to be mentioned in its very title. Also, the paralyzing fear of altering the past that so suffuses the actions of the 'good guys' made many of the late-game decisions cause me to be unable to suspend disbelief.

That said, it wasn't a *bad* book. I was intrigued enough to keep reading, and even though the mystery of the the noir-esque murder-subplot at the
Sarah Sammis
A Rebel in Time by Harry Harrison is a time travel / alternate history story that starts as a straight up mystery. Sergeant Harmon is sent to investigate a large amount of missing gold and some violent crimes all tied to a missing Colonel McCulloh.

Eventually Harmon learns of a secret government time machine project. To everyone's surprise, McCulloh has managed to make the machine work well enough to transport himself and his stolen gold back in time, a few years before the start of the Civil War
Ian
This was a fun read, and an interestingly robust rejection of racism by Harrison. The subject is Harry's typical down to earth, hero who ultimately sacrifices everything in order to track down his man. Some interesting takes on the time travelling trope, but no real detail explored. Overall a well told story of good vs evil.
Mark
Excellent science fiction detective yarn about a black intelligence officer who follows a bigoted army colonel bak to pre Civil War Virginia. The colonel has brought gold coins to build an arms manufacturing plant. He plans to manufacture the Sten submachine gun and supply the confederate cavalry. The intelligence officer must prevent the colonel from creating an alternate history without creating time paradoxes.
Sean Randall
All the hallmarks of an enjoyable story but none of the pace or tension one would expect. The introduction of the time machine was far too delayed and the final import of its operating possibilities mentioned briefly but utterly ignored for far too long. The lead is almost too good, except for his clear fanaticism for the US. Still, it's a part of history...
Gmackster
Great concept: a white supremacist who also happens to be head of security for a government lab in DC developing a time machine steals it and goes back to the days before the Civil War with a fortune in gold and blueprints of how to manufacture a machine gun. An African American FBI agent goes after him: back to the old south where slavery is rampant.
Paige
I enjoyed this one. It's not fantastic literature, but it's got time travel, a dash of detective novel, a clear good guy and a real irredeemable bastard of a bad guy. And sometimes, I really need a book like that.
Jason Case
This book is bold in its treatment of African American's and slavery. It could have been much longer but his treatment left an impression.
Richard E.
have read this one 3-4 times. Always a fun read, love the premise, kept simple & it works. Great Ending too! Won't spoil it.
Peter
Interesting idea but suffers from some major logic flaws - like a lot of Time Travel books
Keith Slade
Good sci-fi/time travel story of men who try to change the course of the Civil War.
Lín
Lín marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Charlotte Kelly
Charlotte Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Twl
Twl marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
  • The Pimpernel Plot (Time Wars, #3)
  • 1901
  • The Shield of Time (Time Patrol, #5)
  • Times Without Number
  • Ruled Britannia
  • Hannibal's Children
  • The Bones of Time
  • Space, Inc
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
  • Dracula Unbound
  • Marching Through Georgia (Draka, #1)

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...
The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6) A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1) The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7) The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)