Start by marking “Smart Talk: The Public Speaker’s Guide to Success in Every Situation” as Want to Read:
Smart Talk: The Public Speaker’s Guide to Success in Every Situation

Smart Talk: The Public Speaker’s Guide to Success in Every Situation

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Have you ever lost out on a promotion? Struggled with a difficult conversation? Been put on the spot and blanked? Imagine if...

...you were better at persuading others and negotiating for what you want.
...you were more fluent at introducing yourself, making conversation, and following up.
...you were better at delivering feedback, receiving criticism, and using positive lang
Published January 22nd 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Smart Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Talk

Erin
Apr 22, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation is a fantastic book packed full of tips and ideas that can be useful for anyone. This book not only caters to how you can better communicate what you want to say to other people, but how you can negotiate and build up other people.

This book is great for helping you identify your weaknesses and strengths when communicating with other people. It shows you how you can improve and say things in a more acceptable manner by just simp
Lois W. Stern
Mar 14, 2015 Lois W. Stern rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart Talk by Lisa B. Marshall
When I first opened Smart Talk, I thought I was about to explore a self-help book for work force communication, but soon discovered this book is so much more. Lisa describes Smart Talk as “The Swiss Army Knife of Communication” and you know how handy that little gadget can be for so many situations! The same can be said for Smart Talk, for it guides us to be master communicators in all phases of our lives - from the intimacy of our homes to winning over our busines
Erin
Mar 18, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially, I thought this book would help me with my public speaking. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how much information I learned about communicating in general. Well written with great insight into how one can become a more thorough communicator across all avenues of one's life.
Samantha
Mar 24, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a college senior about to enter the work world, Smart Talk is a godsend. But really, Lisa B. Marshall's book on how to communicate better in any situation can benefit anyone who is open to it. This is the kind of book that you can read all the way through and then refer back to different sections when desired. There are amusing chapter names like "Tongue Fu" and "Magically Delicious!"

Lisa uses many effective strategies to connect with the reader. I appreciate her willingness to share persona
L
As someone with some experience in speaking and communication skills, this book still proved immensely helpful. Each of the chapters is organized with a concise summary at the end. The topics discussed are relevant to work and personal life. Incredibly useful to anyone and everyone.
Sherri
Jan 23, 2013 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found Smart Talk to be helpful for any situation - whether you need to make a speech or just need to work on communication skills at work or with friends and family. I love Lisa Marshall's writing style and sense of humor. The bonus materials are fun and education too.
Bill Jackman
Feb 09, 2013 Bill Jackman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful.
Raphi
Mar 17, 2014 Raphi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is helpful in many ways. I feel a lot better after reading Lisa's perspective on the wide variety of topics she covers in the book and the helpful tips and quiz's from the website. I am not in the us invests world and this definitely makes a lot of business references and office situations, but very easy to follow and definitely a great guide to make basic conversation with anyone autonomic and with your own personal charisma.
Poy Espiritu
basic basic info. im halfway done but so far its just really basic knowledge. i dont need to be reminded how to write an email or thank you. i will be open mind tho and keep reading but so fae its basic.

almost done but got too bored with it.
good for managers it is very work business related aimed for managers.

im not a manager so it doesnt do me good 80% of it. still 3 stars. basic basic basic info most ppl already know. 3 stars is generous.
LemontreeLime
This was one of those books I just couldn't finish. and it was on audio too, and i _still_ couldn't bring myself to finish it. I think i had been hoping for a book more on giving speeches not maneuvering your public image. What can i say, i'm an 18th century kinda girl.
Dave Lohman
Smart Learning

I enjoy Lisa's podcast and I found this book just as engaging and educational. She presented good and practical advice that I can put to use.
Tian Hai English
I have been listening to her podcast since the beginning of her podcast career. She always always always provides great tips I couldn't have found out anywhere else. I have been one of her huge fans and always will be.

This book is great because it's like the condensed version of all the great public speaking tips she's given in her podcast and more. Lisa acts very personal in the book, making it feels like I have hired my personal coach. She shares a lot of her experiences for us to learn. I can
Lisa
Jul 21, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good business advise book. I feel like I had heard the introduction to a lot of the information on Lisa's podcast but it was a good refresher plus lots of helpful and practical tips to implement.
Todd Taylor
Mar 04, 2016 Todd Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very useful advice. I will keep this handy for future reference and as a reminder to try and improve my speaking skills.
Janalee
Jul 28, 2013 Janalee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some chapters were 2 stars, but the good chapters were 4 stars. Many great chapters on people skills.
Roland Martinez
A good overall communication round up.
Nikki Tobias
May 25, 2014 Nikki Tobias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good information and practical tips
Adam
Dec 15, 2013 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Web to web. Who knew?
Alex Gluchowski
Alex Gluchowski marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Saniib
Saniib marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Tom Hulbert
Tom Hulbert marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Rowena Geyer
Rowena Geyer rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Becky Coffey
Becky Coffey marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Julio Jimenez
Julio Jimenez marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Jonathan Kittrell
Jonathan Kittrell marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Julia Swanson
Julia Swanson marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Paul O
Paul O marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Morenike
Morenike marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Robert Affinity
Robert Affinity marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
  • Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion
  • Conquest of Mind
  • Remember Everything You Want and Manage the Rest: Improve your Memory and Learning, Organize Your Brain, and Effectively Manage Your Knowledge
  • Esquire The Handbook of Style: A Man's Guide to Looking Good
  • The 8 Minute Organizer: Easy Solutions to Simplify Your Life in Your Spare Time
  • How To Say It
  • HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across (HBR Guide Series)
  • How to Get a Date Worth Keeping
  • I, Mammal: Why Your Brain Links Status and Happiness
  • Sweet Tea for Two
  • New Queer Cinema: The Director's Cut
  • Quests of Shadowind: Sky Shifter (Young Adult Series - Book 1)
  • Billy Blue Sky
  • Jimmy Stu Lives!
  • The Doomsday Survival Handbook: A Bucket List for Every Conceivable Apocalypse
  • The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
  • How to Screw Up Your Marriage
  • Small-Town Dad
Passionate. Authentic. Practical. Interactive. Fun. Expert.

Most people know me as the host of The Public Speaker podcast which has earned over 15 million downloads since debuting in 2008. The show has remained an iTunes top 3 podcast in the careers category for over three years and was nominated as a top five podcast in 2009 and 2010. The podcast remains in the top 25 career category. I am also ho
More about Lisa B. Marshall...

“You teach best what you most need to learn. —RICHARD BACH, ILLUSIONS: THE ADVENTURES OF A RELUCTANT MESSIAH” 0 likes
“In his book Words That Work, political consultant and author Frank Luntz sums up the concept nicely when he says, “It’s not what you say, it’s what people hear.” 0 likes