Start by marking “Henna for the Broken-Hearted” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  17 reviews
How far would you go to change your life? Sharell Cook is 30 years old and living a privileged life in Melbourne's wealthy suburbs. She has it all: the childhood-sweetheart husband, the high-powered job and plenty of cash to splash.And it's not destined to last. In a dramatic turn of events, Sharell's marriage breaks down and her perfect life falls apart. Sharell opts for ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Macmillan Australia (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Henna for the Broken-Hearted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henna for the Broken-Hearted

Smitha
How far would you go to change your life?

Sharell Cook is 30 years old and living a privileged life in Melbourne’s wealthy suburbs. She has it all: the childhood-sweetheart husband, the high-powered job and plenty of cash to splash.

And it’s not destined to last. Sharell finds herself in a broken marriage, and everything she had taken for granted seems to have changed. Impulsively, she decides to take a break and go to India to do some volunteer work for a few months. Living in Calcutta, a life wh
Sravanthi
I loved the book for two things
1. The author being so bold to make such decision of settling down in India.
2. The struggle it takes for non-indian to see india as is, the extremities of life styles, the hardships which we consider as norm, basic things that we take it as granted. It is well written and explained from the perspective which we take it as norm.
Sharell has beautifully articulated of what it feels like to be in India, and what defines India. The good, bad, worst and greatest aspects
Kelli Oliver George
This was a fascinating read! Sharell has lived all over India and I loved reading about her experiences as she attempts to forge a new life a for herself - not just one in India, but one within herself. She goes through some striking personal changes and I appreciated her sharing those.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who has lived an expat life or is considering one.
Siddharth Chamaria
I really enjoyed the book. Sharell is bold to put it the way shes portrayed what she experienced being in India and the issues you have to go through specially after coming form an organised Country like Australia.

She is to courageous to have left behind her life and to be challenged everyday being in India.

loved the book!

Janine
Loved this book. Perhaps because of my complete obsession and love for India but nonetheless I enjoyed the authors story of her struggles with being a foreigner in another country and also her joy in accepting it as her own.
Bharathi
The long of it, okay....not great...
Parwati Singari
Henna for the broken hearted.
Author Sharell Cook
Genre Travelogue with a twist
Publisher 2011 in Macmillan by Pan Macmillan Australia Pty.Limited.
Printed and Published in India by Replika Press Pvt.Ltd.
ISBN 978-1-7426-1040-5

Henna for the broken hearted by Sharell cook, reminds me of the Bollywood song “Thodasa Pani, Thodasa badal, ho kahani” that is a bit of clouds, a bit of rain and a tale is spun.
My apologies to the author, when the books started I assumed another firangi on the Indian bhang!
Lauren Murphy
This review was first posted @ The Australian Bookshelf

I really loved this memoir, written by Australian, Sharell Cook. There seems to be a trend for women to write memoirs about their overseas escapades following a relationship breakdown. Sometimes, these work well and sometimes they don’t. Henna for the Broken-Hearted, definitely worked for me!

Although I did really enjoy Eat, Pray Love (the most well-known novel in this genre) it was quite introspective and quite melancholic at times. Which, o
Bec
I was a bit disappointed with this book, as I love and regularly read Cook's blog, "White Indian Housewife". She writes well on the blog and has wonderful insights into the Indian way of life. I brought those expectations to this book.
The book almost read as a therapy exercise - Cook writing out her feelings for herself, rather than as a story for the reader. It felt overly melodramatic in some descriptions of her life in Australia. I nearly gave up when she went into long descriptions in one ch
Claire Melanie
This book was a fairly entertaining read but not as profound as it has pretensions to being. It was simply a well written travel book/memoir
Joann
I loved it. I am fascinated with well written novels about India and this was a non-fiction book about Sharell Cook and her travels to India. Along the way she meets and falls in love with an Indian. She takes you with her as she tries to find herself in this wonderful, and at the same time, perplexing country. I found myself running to the computer to find out all about the places she has visited.
Nadia
Good insights about Indian culture, I learned a lot about things that have been confusing me! There are pieces of the narrative missing.... There is a depth that is lacking throughout, but I still enjoyed it. Finished it in two days. Mostly soaking up info about the mysteries I'm experiencing myself regarding The Indian way of life.
Katische Haberfield
I enjoyed this book. I was expecting more of a spiritual memoir, but once I got that out of my head, was able to enjoy it for what it was. I thought it was a fascinating insight into cross cultural marriages and the "other side" of India- the side that parties, has money and lives it up. A worthwhile read.
Neerja
Interesting......quite a discovery of a new culture and country. Very well written book about her experiences and her final acceptance of a new culture. Quite an insight into a middle class lifestyle in Mumbai and elsewhere in India! Very in depth detailed and delight to read!
Lisa
Interesting enough. It was enjoyable to read a positive side to India after everything in the media recently.
Lesley
For someone who supposedly loves India, the author sure does moan about it a lot. For about 290 pages, in fact.
Neha Jain
Neha Jain is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2015
Anne Okeefe
Anne Okeefe marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
jamesMICHAEL Design ®
jamesMICHAEL Design ® marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa added it
Sep 17, 2014
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Manisha
Manisha marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Flavia Giuliodori
Flavia Giuliodori marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014