Start by marking “Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers” as Want to Read:
Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers

Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Presents what designers need - besides talent - to turn their artistic success into business success. This work helps you learn things such as: How to get on the right career path; How to market your services successfully; How to avoid common legal pitfalls; How to structure projects for success; The secrets of successful teams; and, more.
Published December 1st 2005 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Talent Is Not Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talent Is Not Enough

Tatiana Jimenez
I may be a bit biased because I read this book as a required text for a class taught by the book's author, but I found this to be an incredibly helpful resource. From tax preparation to copyright infringement, Shel Perkins has a wealth of knowledge that he generously shares in this easily digestible book about how to be a successful business person in the world of creative professions. I highly recommend this book for designers. I'm sure I'll be hanging on to this text for a while.
Tim Hogan
Great foundation for small business owners in the creative field.
Doug Cheever
This book already has some of the great names in design giving it 5 stars, so who am I to be any different.

In short, every designer should have this book. As an AIGA member, which is a professional group for designers, and board member I can say that this is the resource for anyone planning a professional development workshop or speaker engagement for designers.

FYI, there's also a new addition as well as chapter updates on Shel's site. If you've met the man, or heard him speak you get a sense o
Shanti
Oct 16, 2008 Shanti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Freelancers, Designers, Creatives
Shelves: always-reading
This book should have been text in my design department. So many designers leave school without knowing a lick about how to run a business for themselves or even work within one. We are given the tools and guidance for space management, but few of us are advised how to make money and sustain ourselves in the industry.

Talent is Not Enough offers great advice, line after line and I highly recommend this to anyone in the creative industry who freelances or manages a small firm.
Tiffany
Excellent detail and well-organized, useful information. This book is a great reference for both freelancers and small-business owners. It's thorough and thoughtful, which is always nice when one is just starting out.
Erik
May 11, 2008 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graphic designers
Lots of valuable information for folks who want to be freelance designers. There's always something you think you know about but don't really know. Get this book and stay out of trouble.
Sara McAllister
Good read with practical advice for designers, particularly those wanting to set up shop. As a design note, the outer margins were annoyingly wide.
Melissa
A great resource for freelance artists looking to go into business for themselves.
Krista
Good, basic information on running a profitable creative business.
Erika Lucivero
Great for Americans, not so much Canadians
Aals
Aug 16, 2009 Aals added it
AWESOME! This book helped me and is helping me restructure some things within my business! A MUST READ for freelancers, designers, CEOs, Project Managers, etc.
Kate Fisher
Kate Fisher marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Mafalda Fernandes
Mafalda Fernandes marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Mansi
Mansi marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Empower10
Empower10 marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Arta
Arta marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Joachim Löfstedt
Joachim Löfstedt marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jack Bingham
Jack Bingham marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • The Designer's Guide to Marketing and Pricing: How to Win Clients and What to Charge Them
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Art Direction Explained, At Last!
  • Sagmeister: Made You Look
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction
  • The Graphic Design Exercise Book: Creative Briefs to Enhance Your Skills and Develop Your Portfolio
Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers, Adobe Reader Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers, Adobe Reader