Unsung Lullabies: Understanding and Coping with Infertility

Unsung Lullabies: Understanding and Coping with Infertility

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For people experiencing infertility, wanting a baby is a craving unlike any other. The intensity of their longing is matched only by the complexity of the emotional maze they must navigate.

With insight and compassion, Drs. Janet Jaffe, Martha Diamond, and David Diamond-specialists in the field of Reproductive Psychology who have each experienced their own struggle with in...more
Published June 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin

Kendra
Okay. I love this book. It explores the emotional aspect of infertility. The three authors each experienced infertility themselves and are also clinical psychologists who currently work with people struggling through the crisis of infertility. That perspective gives a lot of depth and reality to this book. I appreciated the validation of feelings and the understanding of what some one struggling with infertility goes through. I feel that this book was very helpful and insightful. I learned and g...more
Jenna (JennaHack)
This was an incredibly encouraging read for me. Currently in our 20th month trying to conceive and having gone through treatments, heartbreak, frustration, anger, etc., this book was so refreshing.

I've read a couple other books about infertility, but none of them really delve into the real emotion of the experience and how to cope. This book having been written by three psychologists who all went through infertility, they get into the nitty gritty of why you feel what you feel and that it's OK.

T...more
Rebecca
Before reading this book, I thought I knew everything there is to know about grief and loss. It's funny how I never thought of infertility itself as a loss. I always took note of miscarriage and stillbirth because that was a loss of life. I also learned that grieving is not a lineal process but a continual cycle as we grief different parts of our "reproductive story" as the book calls it. The story that exists in the very core of our being of how our story of pregnancy and parenthood would play...more
Amanda
I would recommend this one for anyone who knows someone who struggles with infertility. Personally, I felt like everything covered in the book I already knew, having experienced a lot of it myself, but I would highly recommend it as a book to help people understand infertility (especially those unfamiliar with it). If you want someone to understand how you feel or what you are going through, hand them read this book. It's a quick and easy read but very informative on the trials and feelings of i...more
As far as books on infertility go it's probably the best I've read. For once somone actually pointed out the range of emotions you go through and validated your feelings. This is one of those books however that you shouldn't read if you aren't ready to have your heart ripped out through your nose. The authors are all three psychologists and really make you go back through every part of your reproductive trauma. It's a must read for anyone struggling to have a baby, but hard read none-the-less.
Crystal
I was reading this to see if it would be a good book for clients, and I really think it is. It covers the whole spectrum from going through infertility to what if you do have a baby and there are emotional things that come up after that too! It also covered gender/relationship considerations, which I think a lot of pregnancy-related books fail to do. If you or anyone you know is going through infertility, this book is for you!
Marianne
Great book, one I reference often. It is good for someone going through infertility and for friends and family of a loved one going through infertility. It is one of the most difficult things a person should never have to go through. Having as much support as possible is extremely important. I can not stress enough how much it would help a person who is suffering from the disease of infertility to have a loved one read this book.
Janalyn
This book contains no medical jargon. It validates the infertility experience, and it has helped me to understand my "reproductive story" and how to cope with experiencing infertility. I highly recommend it. I took a few notes as I read, to share with my husband. Because of that, I felt like I discovered new things-almost a therapy experience.
Stephanie
Mar 12, 2008 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Infertile Couples
This is a must read for anyone struggleing with infertility. It does not explore the medical side of how to overcome infertility, but how to deal and cope with the struggle of being infertile. It is a must read!!!
Mrs. Roy
This book is painful to read but was helpful. I would recommend it to anyone who is in the midst of infertility.
Mel
A good book with commonsense methods for dealing with the psychological aspects of infertility.
Adrienne
Great book! Helped me tremendously. Highly recommend it to any couple going through infertility.
Jocelyn
Every person (male and female) who is going through infertility should read this book.
Ramona Dempsey
Ramona Dempsey marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Osiris
Osiris marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Monica
Monica is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2014
Kimberly Erickson
Kimberly Erickson marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Jenni
Jenni added it
Apr 14, 2014
Carla Farris
Carla Farris marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Jessica Yarris
Jessica Yarris marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Mindi
Mindi is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2014
Kate Charters
Kate Charters marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Larissa C
Larissa C marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Reproductive Trauma: Pyschotherapy with Infertitlity and Pregnancy Loss Clients Unsung Lullabies: Understanding and Coping with Infertility