Start by marking “A Breath of Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Breath of Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #2)

A Breath of Scandal (The Reckless Brides #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Forced by her family into an engagement with a man she can never abide, Antigone Preston knows only a scandal will save her from a loveless marriage. But knocking a man down to the ballroom floor with her fists brings dangerous consequences. She may have ruined her reputation, but now she’s endangered her heart…

The son of an earl and a career navy man, Captain William Jell
Published December 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about A Breath of Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Breath of Scandal

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Setting: Regency England

Unwilling to agree to the engagement her family desires,Antigone Preston decides only a scandal will do. But punching a nobleman on the dance floor maybe going to far! Her reputation in ruins,Antigone's only champion is the stranger whose eyes meet hers in the ballroom that day.
Career Navy man and earl's son Captain William Jellicoe finds the fiery-tempered Antigone a delight. He has never met a woman as bold and adventurous as he is. There is no holding them back from ta
Jackie
Essex just keeps getting better and better. No gimmicks, no "high concept," just a lovely falling-in-love story with two appealing, memorable protagonists, written in prose as charming as her hero. A feisty heroine whose "feist" isn't directed as the hero is also a welcome accomplishment. The only fault: the heroine's mother's lack of motivation for her actions.
Thenia
A satisfying romance between Antigone Preston, a very competent, unladylike heroine and Will Jellicoe, the second son of an Earl and Commander of the navy who has just returned from the war.

Antigone is having a really bad time, since right after her beloved father's funeral, her scheming, miserable excuse of a mother arranges for her marriage to a deplorable man three times her age, sacrificing her for her own and her elder daughter's welfare. Loving her shy sister and feeling protective of her,
Book Binge
Antigone Preston has just returned from her father’s funeral when her she walks into her house and is told by her mother that she is to marry a man by the name of Lord Aldridge, who is old enough to be her father. She immediately says no, several times, but her mother finally insists that they just have “an agreement” until the family is out of mourning and then all will be decided. The mother informs Antigone that she MUST do this for her sister Cassandra so that she can meet better marriage pr ...more
Sandy Williams
I loved this! Antigone is exactly the type of heroine I want in my historical romances. She's brave and witty and can take care of herself, yet she still feels genuine to the time period.

I also completely loved Will. The best part, though, was Antigone and Will together. Their banter was fantastic, and I found myself grinning at just how appalling they were together. ;-)

My only criticism is that I wanted more out of the epilogue. (view spoiler)
Molly
I'm not sure if this book is really four stars, or if I just really enjoyed Antigone's right cross.

How can you not root for a girl willing to punch a guy in the face in the middle of the dance floor for groping her?!

Antigone is a plucky girl in a time when that was not an attribute to be admired. She is devastated by the loss of her father and her mother using her to further her older sisters marital prospects.

After she clocks the jerk at the dance she is banished to another room where she meets
Cherie Jensen
A Breath of Scandal was a refreshing breath of satisfying romance. Antigone(poor girl)Preston is affectionately called "Annie" by her beloved older sister and "Preston" in the way of men by William, Will, Jellicoe. They become "appalling acquaintances" after he witnesses her flooring a man who groped her bottom while dancing with an efficient right hook.

Antigone is a cleverly written character who is not the ordinary heroine but should be. Her mother is selfish to say the least and extremely man
Mudpie
it's a drag reading this bk. I could nvr bring myself to leave a bk unfinished so I did the next best thing--skim read. but the language or writing style is not quite what I'm used to and I find myself re-reading certain paragraphs before I understood what was happening. Anyway Antigone's mother was a real nasty one...initially I just thought her a useless widow who in a moment of panic SOLD Antigone to the perverted old lord...but to have her actually schemed and dangled Antigone's youth for a ...more
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
A Breath of Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #2) by Elizabeth Essex Elizabeth Essex

I liked this book. Antigone, Preston to me, was a cool chick. She loved to live her life like how she rode her horse, Velocity. Wild, free, fast but in control. On the day of her father's funeral, she selfish mom sales Preston to the evil and old Lord Aldridge in marriage. Her mom tells her that a fake engagement will put her more beautiful daughter, Cassandra, in the upper ton and help her catch a perfect husband. Preston loves her shy sister very much and agrees but she learns
Shan
I started reading parts of this story at http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com where they are posting parts of the story every Wednesday and Sunday, but I got too impatient to wait for the rest of the story to be posted and went out and picked it up.

Miss Antigone Preston is a strong-willed, adventurous young lady who at the beginning of the story is attending her fathers funeral, on to come home and find an old geezer offering for her hand while she is still very much in mourning.

Her mother tal
Monty Cupcake
2.5 stars.

I liked the premise of this book - and quite a cheeky opening with Antigone KO-ing a guy on the dance floor. However, this book dragged in a lot of places. It felt very start-stop to me. There also should've been a lot more carousing by Antigone & Will. It was really only one night of adventure & the rest was just slightly out of proper boundaries, not true misbehaving.

I appreciated that the book switched POV's from Antigone to Will. They were fun together. I liked the very l
Amanda
Sometimes you're just in the mood for a fluff book, and A Breath of Scandal fits that mood perfectly. And I doubt the Reckless Brides series is very historically accurate (if at all), but I enjoy it. Even if it is a little weighty and historically inaccurate. But you know what? If I wanted historically accurate, I'd read a history textbook.

But I was excited to meet up with William Jellicoe, who's now all grown up and back on dry land. Even though we know him from Almost a Scandal, his book stan
May Mostly Romance
อาจจะเพราะชอบเรื่อง Almost a Scandal ของคนแต่งคนนี้มาก ก็เลยตั้งความหวังไว้กับเล่มนี้มาก จึงเป็นเรื่องปกตินะคะที่จะผิดหวัง ทั้งที่จริงเรื่องนี้ก็มีหลายฉากหลายตอนที่น่าสนใจ แต่ในภาพรวมของทั้งเรื่องแล้ว เรายังรู้สึกว่า มีหลายอย่างขาดเกิดไป

แอนติโกเนสูญเสียบิดาไปอย่างกระทันหัน และชีวิตของเธอก็เปลี่ยนแปลงไปโดยสิ้นเชิง เริ่มต้นเธอถูกมารดาจับหมั้นหมายกับชายที่น่ารังเกียจ คนที่เมื่อหญิงสาวบอกปฏิเสธ ก็ถูกมารดาขอร้องให้เสแสร้งเล่นละครต่อไปก่อน เพื่อให้พี่สาวของเธอมีโอกาสได้ออกงาน และหาสามีรวย ๆ มาเลี้ยงคร
My Book Addiction and More MBA
A BREATH OF SCANDAL by Elizabeth Essex is an interesting Regency historical romance. #2 in "A Reckless Brides novel" series,but can be read as a stand alone. See, "Almost a Scandal". Set in 1814 Sussex,England. Follow, Antigone Preston and Captain William Jellicoe on a journey of forbidden passion,love and secrets. Antigone, is forced in an engagement by her mother, to a much older gentleman,she intends to get out of one way or another. Captain Jellicoe has no desire to marry but must enter soci ...more
Linda
I really like Elizabeth Essex's style of writing. Sucked me into the story straight away with a hero & heroine that I instantly loved. Antigone is such a feisty heroine. I loved it when she socked a lecherous guy who groped her on the dance floor when he ignores her initial warning. I liked how protective she is of her delicate, beautiful older sister. Will is absolutely yummy! I loved their chemistry & their wonderful connection.

A keeper for sure!
Justine Gauckler
When I first picked up this book at the library I fell in love with the book cover. It's purple and that's enough for me. The book while not the best was great. This story of love, lose and inner strength was just what I needed. From Antigone and her follies to Will and his honor, it was spectacular. She blended people, places and things so well together that I fell in love just as Antigone did. And I'm not even sure how to pronounce Antigone. The one this book lacked to be the best was that Ms. ...more
Michelle
I had accidently picked up The Reckless Brides series out of order but I enjoyed it so much I raced to my TBR pile to pick up A Breath of Scandal. Antigone is being forced to marry a man she cannot stand and she knows the only way she can escape is by causing a scandal. Except she may have gone a little farther than she meant to. Captain Jellicoe is impressed by the young miss who stands up for herself on the dance floor and can’t wait to get to know her a little bit better. But they both have d ...more
EB
I don't know. A book makes me cry and makes me love love love love love love love both protagonists and I'm willing to forgive any minor quibbles.
Danette Steward
Good. No sex till the end. Romantic. Different.
Karin
Book Two in the Reckless Brides series.

Will Jellicoe, previously a midshipman from the Audacious, earned his Command in the Navy just before the war with France ended. Now he is back on land waiting for a ship to come along. Meanwhile, Antigone Preston's father has passed away and her mother has engaged her to a vile older man, so that her sister Cassie can be well wed. When the two meet at a ball, mischief and mayhem commence.

If you're looking for a story of love, betrayal, scandal and fun, thi
Heather Ashby
Another awesome novel by my new, favorite romance author. I have never been much of an Historical Romance reader - but Elizabeth Essex's language is so rich, her humor so dry, and there is always something to learn in her books. Besides, who could resist the brazen and unconventional heroine in A BREATH OF SCANDAL? My kind of girl! Both the heroine and the author. Elizabeth Essex has become one of those rare "Grocery List Authors to me." I would read anything she wrote - including her grocery li ...more
Katie
4.5---Honestly loved the book! The only drawback that I had whatsoever was that the epilogue (which of course is not necessary to a book) was so extremely brief. It added a little bit of HEA assurance but other than that gave us no glimpse into their lives and how things went on in the immediate future which just irked me. I didn't like the inclusion of the epilogue as a one page HEA with no details. Looking forward to book #3 (and somewhat hoping for a glimpse at Will and Pres again!).
Metaspinster
I really enjoyed this one, largely for the chemistry between the H/h, namely how much fun they have together and how gosh darn much they just like each other. Surrounding and intermeshing with what would have been a simple like-turns-to-love story between two characters out of synch with the world around them (she a boyish, book-reading hoyden and he a career navy man adrift in his post-war return to his place as aristocratic second son) is some serious and somewhat convoluted dramarama.
RIF
So glad I read this one. Nearly as good as my favorites by her: The Danger of Desire and Almost a Scandal. I'd been disappointed in my last Essex, and was shying away from this author but she's back in my good graces with this lovely romance that focused on the two characters and their growing relationship.
Diane K. Peterson
A lovely story. Loved the characters -- both the H and h were just delightful! Their relationship was warm and genuine. Some minor complaints: hard to believe the mother was so cruel, the ending was a bit abrupt, H should have figured out what was going on sooner. Overall, a very readable book!
Claire
Loved it!! Enough to overlook the damning of all the eyes (seriously, that is the most repeated phrase. I kind of wish I'd read this on my Kindle so I could look up how often it was used. Is this the only epithet that Navy men know?!)
JoAnne
Read my review on RomanceJunkies.com by clicking on the link below:

I rated it 4.5 but since we don't use .5 on Goodreads I upped to 5 for the rating.
Sandy
A thoroughly enjoyable read. I enjoyed the back and forth between Will and Antigone. I found myself smiling quite a bit throughout, even though I seriously wanted to punch her mother pretty much every time she opened her mouth.
Marina Myles
Not only does this book have a stunning cover but the chemistry between Will and Antigone is electric. I enjoyed the dashing hero, the brazen heroine, and the way their stories were intriguingly entwined.
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • The Way to a Duke's Heart (The Truth About the Duke, #3)
  • How to Entice an Earl (Ugly Ducklings, #3)
  • Your Wicked Heart (Rules for the Reckless, #0.5)
  • Wicked Nights With a Proper Lady (Dangerous Rogues, #1)
  • Pleasures of a Tempted Lady (Donovan Sisters, #3)
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
  • A Taste for Scandal (Sealed With a Kiss, #2)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3) (Windham, #6)
  • Twelfth Night Secrets
  • The Secret Life of Lady Lucinda (Summersby, #3)
  • Untamed
  • The Autumn Bride (Chance Sisters, #1)
  • Forever a Lord (The Rumor, #3)
  • When She Was Wicked (Honeycote, #1)
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • The Dark Lady (Mad Passions, #1)
  • Winter's Heat (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1.5)
When not re-reading Jane Austen, sipping tea or mucking about her garden, Elizabeth Essex can be found at her computer, making up wonderful stories about people who live far more interesting lives than she.
Elizabeth Essex

It wasn’t always so. Elizabeth graduated from Hollins College with a BA in Classical Studies and Art History, and then earned her MA from Texas A&M University in Nautical Arch
More about Elizabeth Essex...

The Reckless Brides (6 books)
  • Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)
  • Scandal in the Night (The Reckless Brides, #3)
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • After the Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #4)
  • A Scandal to Remember (The Reckless Brides, #5)
Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1) The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1) The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5) The Danger of Desire (Dartmouth Brides #3) Scandal in the Night (The Reckless Brides, #3)