Start by marking “Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Professional Success” as Want to Read:
Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Professional Success

Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Professional Success

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  16 reviews
- Have you ever been put on the spot and kicked yourself later for not having a substantial, confident response?

- Have you ever lost out on a promotionbecause you didn't get along with your colleagues or boss?

- Have you ever blankedwhen delivering a speech or a presentation?

Saying the right thing isn’t just about feeling comfortable. It's also essential for building succes
Audio CD
Published January 22nd 2013 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about Smart Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Talk

Erin
Smart Talk: The Public Speaker's Guide to Success in Every Situation is a fantastic book packed full of tips and ideas that can be useful for anyone. This book not only caters to how you can better communicate what you want to say to other people, but how you can negotiate and build up other people.

This book is great for helping you identify your weaknesses and strengths when communicating with other people. It shows you how you can improve and say things in a more acceptable manner by just simp
Lois W. Stern
Smart Talk by Lisa B. Marshall
When I first opened Smart Talk, I thought I was about to explore a self-help book for work force communication, but soon discovered this book is so much more. Lisa describes Smart Talk as “The Swiss Army Knife of Communication” and you know how handy that little gadget can be for so many situations! The same can be said for Smart Talk, for it guides us to be master communicators in all phases of our lives - from the intimacy of our homes to winning over our busines
Erin
Initially, I thought this book would help me with my public speaking. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how much information I learned about communicating in general. Well written with great insight into how one can become a more thorough communicator across all avenues of one's life.
Sam-sam
As a college senior about to enter the work world, Smart Talk is a godsend. But really, Lisa B. Marshall's book on how to communicate better in any situation can benefit anyone who is open to it. This is the kind of book that you can read all the way through and then refer back to different sections when desired. There are amusing chapter names like "Tongue Fu" and "Magically Delicious!"

Lisa uses many effective strategies to connect with the reader. I appreciate her willingness to share persona
L
As someone with some experience in speaking and communication skills, this book still proved immensely helpful. Each of the chapters is organized with a concise summary at the end. The topics discussed are relevant to work and personal life. Incredibly useful to anyone and everyone.
Sherri
I found Smart Talk to be helpful for any situation - whether you need to make a speech or just need to work on communication skills at work or with friends and family. I love Lisa Marshall's writing style and sense of humor. The bonus materials are fun and education too.
Raphi
This book is helpful in many ways. I feel a lot better after reading Lisa's perspective on the wide variety of topics she covers in the book and the helpful tips and quiz's from the website. I am not in the us invests world and this definitely makes a lot of business references and office situations, but very easy to follow and definitely a great guide to make basic conversation with anyone autonomic and with your own personal charisma.
Poy Espiritu
basic basic info. im halfway done but so far its just really basic knowledge. i dont need to be reminded how to write an email or thank you. i will be open mind tho and keep reading but so fae its basic.

almost done but got too bored with it.
good for managers it is very work business related aimed for managers.

im not a manager so it doesnt do me good 80% of it. still 3 stars. basic basic basic info most ppl already know. 3 stars is generous.
LemontreeLime
This was one of those books I just couldn't finish. and it was on audio too, and i _still_ couldn't bring myself to finish it. I think i had been hoping for a book more on giving speeches not maneuvering your public image. What can i say, i'm an 18th century kinda girl.
Dave Lohman
Smart Learning

I enjoy Lisa's podcast and I found this book just as engaging and educational. She presented good and practical advice that I can put to use.
Tian Hai English
I have been listening to her podcast since the beginning of her podcast career. She always always always provides great tips I couldn't have found out anywhere else. I have been one of her huge fans and always will be.

This book is great because it's like the condensed version of all the great public speaking tips she's given in her podcast and more. Lisa acts very personal in the book, making it feels like I have hired my personal coach. She shares a lot of her experiences for us to learn. I can
Janalee
Some chapters were 2 stars, but the good chapters were 4 stars. Many great chapters on people skills.
Roland Martinez
A good overall communication round up.
Nikki Tobias
good information and practical tips
Adam
Web to web. Who knew?
Mattie
Mattie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Kinda
Kinda marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Mariano
Mariano marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Jofanka Tiffany
Jofanka Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Matthew Carleton
Matthew Carleton marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Amit
Amit marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Sergei
Sergei is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2015
Neeraj Shardul
Neeraj Shardul marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Made Yeri
Made Yeri marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Sinjith Mathews
Sinjith Mathews marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Amrita
Amrita marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion
  • Conquest of Mind
  • Esquire The Handbook of Style: A Man's Guide to Looking Good
  • Remember Everything You Want and Manage the Rest: Improve your Memory and Learning, Organize Your Brain, and Effectively Manage Your Knowledge
  • The 8 Minute Organizer: Easy Solutions to Simplify Your Life in Your Spare Time
  • How to Get a Date Worth Keeping
  • How To Say It
  • I, Mammal: Why Your Brain Links Status and Happiness
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (HBR Guide Series)
  • Jimmy Stu Lives!
  • Six Sigma for Dummies
  • Billy Blue Sky
  • HBR Guide to Better Business Writing (HBR Guide Series)
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • Gangsterland (Ink Portal Adventure #1)
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • Sweet Tea for Two
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
Passionate. Authentic. Practical. Interactive. Fun. Expert.

Most people know me as the host of The Public Speaker podcast which has earned over 15 million downloads since debuting in 2008. The show has remained an iTunes top 3 podcast in the careers category for over three years and was nominated as a top five podcast in 2009 and 2010. The podcast remains in the top 25 career category. I am also ho
More about Lisa B. Marshall...
Ace Your Interview (The Public Speaker's Guide) The Public Speaker's Guide to Ace Your Interview: 6 Steps to Get the Job You Want Ace Your Interview: Six Steps to Get the Job You Want Quick and Dirty Tips for Life After College: Your Ultimate Guide to Career Success (Quick & Dirty Tips)