Start by marking “Runner's World Running on Air: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Breathing Technique for Runners” as Want to Read:

Renowned running coach Budd Coates presents a revolutionary yet simple training method based on rhythmic breathing to help runners at all experience levels improve their performance, prevent injury, and experience the joy of running. Validating his method through a mix of accessible science, Eastern philosophy, and the experiences of test subjects, Coates shows readers how ...more
Published April 9th 2013 by Rodale Books (first published April 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Runner's World Running on Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runner's World Running on Air

Shelly Klinger
Aug 18, 2013 Shelly Klinger rated it did not like it
This book should have been a 2 page article, not a book. Yes, it's a great concept to link running and breathing in an uneven pattern so that you don't always land on the same foot. There, now I've told you the secret, so you don't have to waste your money like I did. Just look up his article on the Runners World website and you will have all then information you need. Check out Running with the Mind of Meditation if you want a good book about running and mindfulness.
Kenneth
Jan 20, 2016 Kenneth rated it liked it
Shelves: exercise
The hook of this book, breath in for three steps, breath out for two, can be explained in this line. Do it that way so you aren't striding on the same foot with every out breath, which can cause or exacerbate injury. Use the system of breathing, with some shorter patterns for faster running, instead of perceived exertion, or as an adjunct to the perceived exertion scale.
The problem with this book is that it is a beginners running book, with solid - if too old school for me -information. The run
Bryce North
Oct 30, 2014 Bryce North rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In author Budd Coates’ words, the goal of “Running on Air” “is to teach you to run from within, to develop the mind-body connection that allows you to manage your ability and physiology optimally for your best performance.” For runners, there are many factors one must keep in check whether you are just starting running, trying for your best race performance, or trying to remain injury free. However, as Budd Coates shows you, the most important factor, as silly as it seems, is how you breathe.
T
Cbombria
Jun 11, 2014 Cbombria rated it liked it
Borrowed the book from the library so the price was right. Everyone who coaches seems to come up with their own version of a training calendar and this book is no different. Half the book is a bunch of charts and calendars with training plans. The remainder discusses conscious breathing techniques that can be used while exercising. I have to admit I was skeptical at first but after a few runs using the method I do notice a difference. My pace is a little quicker but the major impact was the perc ...more
Michael
Mar 15, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: athletics
If you have one good idea and you share it with the world, you've paid some of the dues you owe for your time in this world.

Here's a coach that has one good idea, and it's simple, effective and not at all intuitive.

When you're running, with each step breathe in three times, out two.

I suppose if you want people to take the idea seriously you have to write a book about it, back it up with some scientific-sounding language, give it an historical context, elaborate on the benefits.

Credit to Budd Coa
Lindsey
Aug 26, 2015 Lindsey rated it liked it
This was recommended in an article I read online about running. So I almost didn't even ever see it. I got it and it may have changed my life. I can't give the book itself 5 stars because a lot of the book is just running/ training plans. But the part about breathing? And running? Amazing. I've been using this technique and although, it's been tricky to master it, I feel it is becoming easier. And the results on my body, pain and speed are pretty incredible. Total believer in this program!!
Teun
May 26, 2015 Teun rated it liked it
Amerikaanse zelfhulpboeken, ik denk niet dat ik er ooit zal aan wennen. Duuzenden herhalingen op eenzelfde thema/premisse, overdreven enthousiasme en getuigenissen die samengevat kunnen worden in max 20 pagina's, typisch. Maar goed, ik heb er toch hier en daar wat van opgestoken, te weten:

- drie keer inademen - twee keer uitademen kan blessures voorkomen - makes sense; bij uitademing is je core minst stabiel; in die zin is het beter om de voet waarop je bij uitademing landt te wisselen;
- plan j
Thomas Hayes
Jul 10, 2015 Thomas Hayes rated it liked it
The book obviously has fluff since the technique for breathing better can be explained in a short magazine article, but the reasoning and practicality of it are attractive. I've tried the breathing technique and have yet to reach that point where it feels normal. Things look promising though. So I give this book 3 stars for explaining the science behind the breathing technique. He could of left out the training plans, and other various exercises and just stuck to the breathing technique in my hu ...more
Justin
Apr 20, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-2013
Running and breathing go together, of course. Without breath, there is no running. The premise of this book is that breathing correctly can help one race faster, help prevent injuries, and help focus on the race. The book goes through the technique of proper breathing to exhale on the foot strike and balance it so, so that there is an exhale on each footstrike balancing the amount of force on the foot.
As it is presented, it sounds pretty easy. There are great techniques to practice getting to th
Mike Harmon
Jul 03, 2013 Mike Harmon rated it really liked it
I've always been aware of my breathing when changing levels of exertion, but I've never tried to use breathing to determine pace. This book suggests that managing my breathing may also help reduce recurring injury. I tore the heck out of my left ankle in high school, but have had little problems with it during all my adult running. Oddly enough, my right ankle creates all the problems. This book suggests that the body is weakest when exhaling and that landing consistently on the same foot during ...more
Shirley
Oct 31, 2014 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
This was very interesting. I was first intrigued by this breathing technique from a Runner's World article. The book elaborates far more, of course, and is well worth the read AND the implementation of what Budd Coates discusses. I notice a distinct difference in my runs when using his breathing techniques, much more in the "zone" and with a sense of longevity possible for every run as well as speed when desired. I look forward to when my breathing naturally slips into that pattern and I don't h ...more
Malin Friess
Nov 19, 2015 Malin Friess rated it did not like it
There is a theory that pairing your breathing inhalations and exhalations with your foot strike can decrease injuries.

The greatest moment of stress of running occurs when the foot strikes the ground. At the beginning of exhalation the muscles of respiration are relaxed and the core is at its weakest. Coates wants runners to avoid exhaling at the moment of foot strike. Coates recommends breathing patterns like 3:2 or 2:1.

I was not convinced by these arguments and not willing to lay down on a yoga
JDK1962
Oct 26, 2015 JDK1962 rated it liked it
More a basic running book than exclusively on breath--really, after describing 3-2 and 2-1 and 2:1:1:1, what more can you say--and looks perfectly servicable in that regard. I'll give the breathing a try. Though I confess I'll be astonished if that alone starts trimming minutes off my times.
Sam Brown
Oct 22, 2014 Sam Brown rated it it was amazing
All in all, this is a great book for runners of all levels. Although the concept is quite simple, and the breathing pattern for running which the entire book is based on, is explained in the first few sections, it abounds with quality running advice. The author, knowing his stuff, makes for a great source of running wisdom to guide beginners and help pros refine their sport. Although you could reap the majority of the benefits reading only about the breathing (the other chapters are not really n ...more
Stan Horst
Jul 19, 2013 Stan Horst rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Helpful explanation of something that all of us do...breathing. The author gives a solid explanation of a breathing method that decreases injuries, increases speed, and provides a means of measuring the effort we put forth on running. He also backs up everything he says, some with anecdote, and some with medical evidence. I personally experienced more freedom running when I implemented his techniques.
Ronald Williams
May 16, 2015 Ronald Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very educational!

Explains an important aspect of running that is easily misunderstood. Has improved my running and made running finally enjoyable for me.
Ambili shyam
Sep 21, 2015 Ambili shyam rated it liked it
The book is all about breathing technique- breath in 3 steps and out for 2, when you run faster breath in 2 steps, out for 1 step. Well, it didn't help me much.
Karlie
Mar 14, 2014 Karlie rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-purchase
While running, breathe in for three steps and out for two. This allows your exhalation to land on alternating legs. This books is too long to basically say that. I really like the breathing process though so a worthwhile read anyway.
Karla
Nov 09, 2013 Karla rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book because it made me want to try to be a better runner. And I have. The breathing techniques have definitely helped me. I am happy to say that I no longer always land on the same foot when I exhale!
Darryl Scroggins
Nov 01, 2013 Darryl Scroggins rated it it was ok
Shelves: running
I've been trying th method, but I'm not sold on it. It seems that the method was summed up pretty well in the Runner's World article. It seemed like the book was a bit of an overkill.
Julie
Feb 17, 2014 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this book is a lot more about running than about a breathing technique, but that being said I'm going to try it and see if it helps with my exercise induced asthma.
Alicia
May 31, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing
As a runner and a trainer the advice in this book is so valuable! I have already put much of it into practice. It complies with my personal motto to listen to your body!
Lori Larsen
May 02, 2013 Lori Larsen rated it it was amazing
Made a lot of sense-- easy to read. Hard to put into application for me. I really need to work on the breathing part because I believe it will make a different in my running.
Megan
Oct 29, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
I liked the idea of this breathing pattern. It actually has changed my running style and I do feel more aware of how my body feels
Leeana Neely
Oct 04, 2013 Leeana Neely rated it did not like it
This book should have been an article. Search Runners World Running on Air: Breathing Technique
Christine
Nov 28, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
I'll probably give this a try over the fall/winter and see how it works.
Ericgr3gory
Ericgr3gory rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Malú Káwrmohná
Malú Káwrmohná marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Rick Carroll
Rick Carroll rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • Running with the Mind of Meditation: Lessons for Training Body and Mind
  • My Best Race
  • Be Iron Fit, 2nd: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Older, Faster, Stronger: One runner's quest to find out how women are running into their 50s, 60s and beyond, and what that can teach us all about living younger, longer
  • Your First Triathlon
  • Chi Marathon: The Breakthrough Natural Running Program for a Pain-Free Half Marathon and Marathon
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Essence of the Dhammapada: The Buddha's Call to Nirvana
  • The Spiritual Doorway in the Brain: A Neurologist's Search for the God Experience
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • Body, Mind, and Sport: The Mind-Body Guide to Lifelong Health, Fitness, and Your Personal Best