Start by marking “Runner's World Running on Air: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Breathing Technique for Runners” as Want to Read:

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Renowned running coach Budd Coates presents a revolutionary yet simple training method based on rhythmic breathing to help runners at all experience levels improve their performance, prevent injury, and experience the joy of running. Validating his method through a mix of accessible science, Eastern philosophy, and the experiences of test subjects, Coates shows readers how ...more
Published April 9th 2013 by Rodale Books (first published April 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Runner's World Running on Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runner's World Running on Air

Shelly Klinger
This book should have been a 2 page article, not a book. Yes, it's a great concept to link running and breathing in an uneven pattern so that you don't always land on the same foot. There, now I've told you the secret, so you don't have to waste your money like I did. Just look up his article on the Runners World website and you will have all then information you need. Check out Running with the Mind of Meditation if you want a good book about running and mindfulness.
Bryce North
In author Budd Coates’ words, the goal of “Running on Air” “is to teach you to run from within, to develop the mind-body connection that allows you to manage your ability and physiology optimally for your best performance.” For runners, there are many factors one must keep in check whether you are just starting running, trying for your best race performance, or trying to remain injury free. However, as Budd Coates shows you, the most important factor, as silly as it seems, is how you breathe.
Borrowed the book from the library so the price was right. Everyone who coaches seems to come up with their own version of a training calendar and this book is no different. Half the book is a bunch of charts and calendars with training plans. The remainder discusses conscious breathing techniques that can be used while exercising. I have to admit I was skeptical at first but after a few runs using the method I do notice a difference. My pace is a little quicker but the major impact was the perc ...more
If you have one good idea and you share it with the world, you've paid some of the dues you owe for your time in this world.

Here's a coach that has one good idea, and it's simple, effective and not at all intuitive.

When you're running, with each step breathe in three times, out two.

I suppose if you want people to take the idea seriously you have to write a book about it, back it up with some scientific-sounding language, give it an historical context, elaborate on the benefits.

Credit to Budd Coa
This was recommended in an article I read online about running. So I almost didn't even ever see it. I got it and it may have changed my life. I can't give the book itself 5 stars because a lot of the book is just running/ training plans. But the part about breathing? And running? Amazing. I've been using this technique and although, it's been tricky to master it, I feel it is becoming easier. And the results on my body, pain and speed are pretty incredible. Total believer in this program!!
Amerikaanse zelfhulpboeken, ik denk niet dat ik er ooit zal aan wennen. Duuzenden herhalingen op eenzelfde thema/premisse, overdreven enthousiasme en getuigenissen die samengevat kunnen worden in max 20 pagina's, typisch. Maar goed, ik heb er toch hier en daar wat van opgestoken, te weten:

- drie keer inademen - twee keer uitademen kan blessures voorkomen - makes sense; bij uitademing is je core minst stabiel; in die zin is het beter om de voet waarop je bij uitademing landt te wisselen;
- plan j
Thomas Hayes
The book obviously has fluff since the technique for breathing better can be explained in a short magazine article, but the reasoning and practicality of it are attractive. I've tried the breathing technique and have yet to reach that point where it feels normal. Things look promising though. So I give this book 3 stars for explaining the science behind the breathing technique. He could of left out the training plans, and other various exercises and just stuck to the breathing technique in my hu ...more
Running and breathing go together, of course. Without breath, there is no running. The premise of this book is that breathing correctly can help one race faster, help prevent injuries, and help focus on the race. The book goes through the technique of proper breathing to exhale on the foot strike and balance it so, so that there is an exhale on each footstrike balancing the amount of force on the foot.
As it is presented, it sounds pretty easy. There are great techniques to practice getting to th
Mike Harmon
I've always been aware of my breathing when changing levels of exertion, but I've never tried to use breathing to determine pace. This book suggests that managing my breathing may also help reduce recurring injury. I tore the heck out of my left ankle in high school, but have had little problems with it during all my adult running. Oddly enough, my right ankle creates all the problems. This book suggests that the body is weakest when exhaling and that landing consistently on the same foot during ...more
This was very interesting. I was first intrigued by this breathing technique from a Runner's World article. The book elaborates far more, of course, and is well worth the read AND the implementation of what Budd Coates discusses. I notice a distinct difference in my runs when using his breathing techniques, much more in the "zone" and with a sense of longevity possible for every run as well as speed when desired. I look forward to when my breathing naturally slips into that pattern and I don't h ...more
Malin Friess
There is a theory that pairing your breathing inhalations and exhalations with your foot strike can decrease injuries.

The greatest moment of stress of running occurs when the foot strikes the ground. At the beginning of exhalation the muscles of respiration are relaxed and the core is at its weakest. Coates wants runners to avoid exhaling at the moment of foot strike. Coates recommends breathing patterns like 3:2 or 2:1.

I was not convinced by these arguments and not willing to lay down on a yoga
More a basic running book than exclusively on breath--really, after describing 3-2 and 2-1 and 2:1:1:1, what more can you say--and looks perfectly servicable in that regard. I'll give the breathing a try. Though I confess I'll be astonished if that alone starts trimming minutes off my times.
Sam Brown
All in all, this is a great book for runners of all levels. Although the concept is quite simple, and the breathing pattern for running which the entire book is based on, is explained in the first few sections, it abounds with quality running advice. The author, knowing his stuff, makes for a great source of running wisdom to guide beginners and help pros refine their sport. Although you could reap the majority of the benefits reading only about the breathing (the other chapters are not really n ...more
Stan Horst
Helpful explanation of something that all of us do...breathing. The author gives a solid explanation of a breathing method that decreases injuries, increases speed, and provides a means of measuring the effort we put forth on running. He also backs up everything he says, some with anecdote, and some with medical evidence. I personally experienced more freedom running when I implemented his techniques.
Ronald Williams
This book is very educational!

Explains an important aspect of running that is easily misunderstood. Has improved my running and made running finally enjoyable for me.
Ambili shyam
The book is all about breathing technique- breath in 3 steps and out for 2, when you run faster breath in 2 steps, out for 1 step. Well, it didn't help me much.
While running, breathe in for three steps and out for two. This allows your exhalation to land on alternating legs. This books is too long to basically say that. I really like the breathing process though so a worthwhile read anyway.
I really enjoyed reading this book because it made me want to try to be a better runner. And I have. The breathing techniques have definitely helped me. I am happy to say that I no longer always land on the same foot when I exhale!
Darryl Scroggins
I've been trying th method, but I'm not sold on it. It seems that the method was summed up pretty well in the Runner's World article. It seemed like the book was a bit of an overkill.
Overall, this book is a lot more about running than about a breathing technique, but that being said I'm going to try it and see if it helps with my exercise induced asthma.
As a runner and a trainer the advice in this book is so valuable! I have already put much of it into practice. It complies with my personal motto to listen to your body!
Lori Larsen
Made a lot of sense-- easy to read. Hard to put into application for me. I really need to work on the breathing part because I believe it will make a different in my running.
I liked the idea of this breathing pattern. It actually has changed my running style and I do feel more aware of how my body feels
Leeana Neely
This book should have been an article. Search Runners World Running on Air: Breathing Technique
I'll probably give this a try over the fall/winter and see how it works.
Severino marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Julianna marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Puneet marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • Be Iron Fit, 2nd: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness
  • My Best Race
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Older, Faster, Stronger: One runner's quest to find out how women are running into their 50s, 60s and beyond, and what that can teach us all about living younger, longer
  • Running with the Mind of Meditation: Lessons for Training Body and Mind
  • Your First Triathlon
  • Chi Marathon: The Breakthrough Natural Running Program for a Pain-Free Half Marathon and Marathon
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Train Like a Mother: How to Get Across Any Finish Line - and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity
  • Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever
  • Essence of the Dhammapada: The Buddha's Call to Nirvana
  • Go Wild: Free Your Body and Mind from the Afflictions of Civilization
  • The Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight, Run Better, and Race Faster