Start by marking “Don't Kiss the Frog!: Princess Stories with Attitude” as Want to Read:
Don't Kiss the Frog!: Princess Stories with Attitude

Don't Kiss the Frog!: Princess Stories with Attitude

Perfect for girls who love tiaras, ballgowns, and happy endings—but also sports, silly jokes, and being different. Featuring the work of seven writers and three illustrators, this anthology of “princess stories with attitude” will make kids laugh as they encounter a bevy of sleepy, sporty, clumsy, brave, resourceful, and curious princesses. The exuberant typographic design ...more
Published February 19th 2013 by Kingfisher (first published September 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Kiss the Frog!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Kiss the Frog!

QNPoohBear
Jul 09, 2014 QNPoohBear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is a collection of princess stories for the modern princess lover. My niece picked this out at the library and wanted me to read it to her. I wasn't sure what to expect, not being a princess lover like she is. I found these stories very charming and lots of fun! There's a clumsy princess, an ordinary princess, a princess who is bad at sports, and best of all - no damsels in distress! Each story has a lesson to be learned. The illustrations are a lot of fun and have a lot going on in them. M ...more
Jill
Feb 13, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hallelujah! A fairy tale book I can support and love to recommend! This is a book of several stories where the princesses in the fairytales are clever, and can get out of danger (and save the kingdom) by themselves thankyouverymuch. The stories are well-written and Waters does a good job of telling a fairytale with a true lesson in it (including the castles and princesses and princes and things that children recognize as "mandatory"), but without pandering to the idea of a helpless princess who ...more
Kristin
Fun little book with six stories. Not overly feminist, just different from your traditional tales.
Elizabeth P
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I was so excited when I read the title: "finally" (I thought to myself) "a picture book for girls about princesses who can stand up for themselves!" But this book was a little too sugary-sweet for me. The endings are too neatly happily-ever-after, and in more than one story the princess marries a prince (can't princesses ever be happy with themselves without having a prince around?). There were still good stories in this collection- "Double Dragons" and " ...more
Erin
Classic princess fairy tales are retold with a twist! This fun set of stories are cleverly told in a fun, modern ways any little prince or princess would have fun reading with their mom or dad, or by themselves. This is a book I would want to purchase for a niece if I ever have one. These six stories do not have the best illustrations, but the fonts and stories themselves would be entertaining enough to make up for the lack in great artwork.
Kristin
Jan 13, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun princess stories about spunky princesses. The kids all liked this one and I didn't mind reading them. I liked the one about the princess who lived in a normal home doing normal things and longed for life in fancy clothes doing proper princessy things. She got to switch to life as a fancy princess for a few days and got bored stiff and hated it. Good story.
SamZ
Jul 12, 2013 SamZ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cute! I loved the twists on various princess stories. My favorite was the one about the princess that went to slay the dragon, but they were all so adorable. My favorite part about these short tales was the way each princess found to show her true self and solve her own problems. A total girl-power book without putting down frilly, pink, princess-type girls.
Amalia
Jul 25, 2012 Amalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-challenge
LOVE IT! Light and hilarious! An enjoyable and creative romp through some of our beloved fairy tales. Don't Kiss The Frog gives us room to think about what a princess should really be - or not be - all without taking ourselves or the stories too seriously. I am definitely sharing this one with anyone who will listen:)
Erin
Dec 02, 2008 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
girl power for the under five set - I bought this as a x-mas present for my niece who is princess obsessed - as her "crazy feminist aunt" I wanted to make us both happy by giving her pretty princesses and kick butt, dragon-slaying heroines
NaomiRuth
Mar 20, 2010 NaomiRuth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretty much anyone
Recommended to NaomiRuth by: It jumped off the shelf and into my waiting hands
Shelves: children, fav-authors
This was adorable. And whoever did the formatting was a genius. The fonts and layout was incredible. Plus, the stories were just spot-on hilarious. I was laughing out loud, and annoying my family while they tried to watch Lost. And to distract me from Lost is a huge feat. I'm quite impressed.
Teddi
Aug 29, 2013 Teddi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
The stories in the book are an interesting take on some well known princess stories. I enjoyed reading the book to my daughter and hearing her squeal with delight as we read about silliness, bravery, and love.
Nov 18, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-folktales
I bought this for my niece, she loves books, even though she is still little. I hope she likes these stories, and that my fairly anti-princess sister likes them as well. I read most of the stories, and found them to be fun and silly, and not too objectifying princesses.
The Children
Feb 12, 2009 The Children rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not lyrical at all. Stories are twaddle. The change of fonts in the stories is pretty to look at, but distracting to read.
Terina
Jan 21, 2010 Terina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My just-turned-6 daughter loved it. And really the book is for her. The bonus for me is that they're almost all princess stories that don't make me gag.
San Frazier
May 06, 2013 San Frazier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful girl empowering princess stories. we laughed alot.
Tara
May 17, 2009 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of stories about unconventional princesses!
Teao
Sep 13, 2016 Teao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great wee book, liked that it was different than the normal princess stories.
Heather
Nov 22, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 4 yo daughter loves this unconventional princess book full of lots of heroine stories. My 6 yo son enjoyed it too, though only once or twice, where she insists we read it over & over again.
Tammy
Jun 13, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Stories were pretty silly...
Heather
Jun 30, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
40 months - not every one of the six hits it out of the ballpark but we found these stories amusing and could see reading them several times.
Leanne
Apr 04, 2015 Leanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairy tales with a twist for new little princesses with attitude. My girls love these stories about modern princesses who don't just wait around to marry a prince.
Abby
Nov 09, 2010 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-gift-ideas
Lots of fun. Maybe a little much for the whole room of four-year-olds I was expecting, but perfect for princess fans with a good sense of humor.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"princesses, fractured fairytales, excellent"
jennifer
jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2017
Janine
Janine rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Becca
Becca rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Leticia
Leticia rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
  • Belinda the Ballerina
  • Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Splash!
  • Goldi Rocks and the Three Bears
  • When Dads Don't Grow Up
  • Hogwash! (Wilson, Karma)
  • To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt