Start by marking “Katie and the Puppy Next Door” as Want to Read:
Katie and the Puppy Next Door

Katie and the Puppy Next Door

Katie is surprised when Ruby, the new puppy next door, comes for a visit. Ruby runs right into Katie’s house and starts playing—with Katie’s favorite things! She even eats Katie’s food! Katie thinks this is terrible, and she chases Ruby away. But Sara Ann is disappointed. She wants Katie to share. She says sharing is fun. But Katie has her doubts about that!
Published March 19th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Katie and the Puppy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie and the Puppy Next Door

Not as fabulous as the first Katie book, but still cute illustrations. And in this, lessons on sharing and being friends. Fun to see the kittens grown up. And good that Katie learned a lesson, but even better that Ruby learned, too. I was getting a bit worried that Katie had to do all the adjusting.
Catherine McAna
Sep 09, 2016 Catherine McAna rated it really liked it
Goodreads #3

Summary: Katie is a dog whose house gets "invaded" by a new puppy, Ruby, who lives next door. One day, Ruby comes to visit and she helps herself to everything in Katie's house. Katie is unhappy sharing her belongings, so she barks to scare Ruby away. Katie's owner becomes disappointed in how she had been acting toward Ruby and told her to share. Next time Ruby came over, Katie tried very hard to control herself from lashing out at Ruby until Ruby started playing with her. Then, Katie
Sep 13, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
John Himmelman writes “Katie and the Puppy Next Door” and tells the story of two dogs and their struggle of getting along. Katie is used to getting all the attention, all the love, and all the treats and toys she wants. Her owner tells her that, Ruby, the puppy next door is coming over and Katie is unsure of this. The play-date didn’t go so well. Ruby is eating Katie’s food, drinking her water, taking her treats and toys, and she is playing with her friends. Katie was noticeably unhappy and in r ...more
Mar 28, 2013 Clarissa rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This was cute, but no where near as wonderful as Katie loves the Kittens. The pictures of the animals are charming and funny, and the story os sweet, but not especially clever or original. Katie is visited by the neighbor's dog Ruby. Ruby eats from Katies dish, plays with her toys,a nd plays with the cats. Katie is jealous and does nto want to share, but on a second visit learns taht sharing can be fun.
Aug 15, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Oh, I adore Katie and John Himmelman draws her in such an expressive way. You can tell EXACTLY how she's feeling. The only thing that bugged me about this book (and it's a small, petty quibble, I admit) was that Ruby was allowed by her owner to enter a new house and pretty much run amok. What responsible pet owner would allow her dog to eat another dog's bowl of food without permission or any repercussions? C'mon.
May 03, 2013 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute read, although I think Katie loves the Kittens was so much better. Katie learns a lesson in sharing her beloved kittens from book 1 who are now cats, her food and her toy with the neighbor dog. She really really doesn't want to, but tries her very best to do better on the second visit. Sharing is not always easy but it is always more fun than playing alone.
Sondra Eklund
May 14, 2013 Sondra Eklund rated it really liked it
This time Katie's learning how to be a friend -- with the puppy next door. Now, that other puppy is not very nice. I would not want to be the owner of these two trashing the house! But the message is good, and it's nice to have dogs in the situation rather than kids -- gives a nice distance from the subject, with lots of room to talk about it. And I still love John Himmelman's artwork!
Randi Haranzo
Sep 15, 2013 Randi Haranzo rated it liked it
This author greatly examines the moral of sharing. One puppy is introduced as the friendly neighbor and becomes "at home" when she is invited over. Meanwhile, the main character, Katie the puppy, feels upset because the new puppy is using her toys and eating her food. If you would like to implement sharing in your classroom, this book would be a great one for a lesson plan.
Bethany Boutin
Jun 19, 2013 Bethany Boutin rated it it was amazing
Sometimes it's really hard to share what's yours! But as little dog Katie discovers, a little self-control can be quite rewarding. This had me laughing along as I was reminded of my own stubborn little dog's amusing territorial personality.
Karen Arendt
Jul 05, 2013 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
The story line is pretty obvious but fans of Katie loves the kittens will enjoy the story. Also good for Pre-k to kindergarten as a discussion tool on sharing.
Aug 19, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I liked this, but not like I did "Katie Loves the Kittens". It does send a great message about sharing. Curious to see what kids would think.
Apr 10, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
This was nice how everything worked out in the end, but this book wasn't as good as Katie loves the Kitties.
Cute story about learning to share with new friends. I feel like it ends somewhat abruptly, but the illustrations are cute and it's a nice, simple book that young dog lovers will enjoy.
Alexandria rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Kirsti Call
Kirsti Call rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
A story about learning to share, with puppies as the main characters.
Rachel rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2013
Apr 22, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Typical friendship story.
Hannahlily rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Bj rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Lynn rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Georgette rated it really liked it
May 06, 2013
May 08, 2013 Tracie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
The irrepressible Katie returns in a second outing about learning to share with a new friend.
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Little rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Ariadne rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
Elisha Karr
Elisha Karr rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Amy Holley
Amy Holley rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Deatrice rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Halpey rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year in college (S
More about John Himmelman...