Start by marking “Love Is Never Enough: How Couples Can Overcome Misunderstandings, Resolve Conflicts, and Solve” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  20 reviews
With eloquence and accessibility, Dr. Aaron T. Beck analyzes the actual dialogue of troubled couples to illuminate the most common problems in marriage--the power of negative thinking, disillusionment, rigid rules and expectations, and miscommunication.
Published October 18th 1989 by Harper Perennial (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is Never Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is Never Enough

Melissa Lee-tammeus
I read this in preparation for CBT with couples, which I have yet to truly encounter. I found it fascinated and learned a lot about relationships overall and how easy it is to misconstrue and misinterpret those little things, making them in to big things.
Bethany Womack
Oct 02, 2012 Bethany Womack marked it as to-read
Shelves: counseling
Recommended by Dr. Sells
(Cognitive Therapy) is Never Enough.
David
One of the main challenges in marriage are the unwritten rules/expectations that each spouse has for the other – everything from how to give and receive love, to how much time one is allowed with friends, to the proper way to raise children, to how much time to spend with the in-laws on vacation, to any other number of things. Expectations that are never voiced allowed create havoc in a relationship precisely because they go unspoken. Furthermore, they lead to criticisms about the other person t ...more
Isaac
I am giving this book 5 stars because it contains, what I feel is, crucial information on how to deal with a very common issue in relationships. I do feel that this 400 page book would have been much better as a 200 page book. However, since Chapter #1 – The Power Of Negative Thinking and Chapter #13 – Changing Your Own Distortions are so vital and crucial for a healthy relationship it gets 5 stars.
Kaori Flores
Qué es lo que tratamos de decir y qué es lo que nuestra pareja entiende? Mucho más complejo de lo que creemos. La comunicación defectuosa es una de las principales causas de ruptura. Si se detecta a tiempo y se habla más para describir lo que damos a entender tanto con el lenguaje hablado y actitudes se puede llegar a una relación de pareja más armoniosa. Me ha ayudado en lo personal para concientizar las fallas en transmitir el mensaje que deseo hacia mi pareja y a su vez a hacer el ejercicio d ...more
Scott Rachui
If you're into Cognitive Therapy, and if you want to use it to treat couples, this is a good book to read. Aaron Beck founded CBT, and while I disagree with the fundamental worldview on which it rests, some of its techniques are useful in treating clients. It's an enjoyable read for someone with an interest in the mental health field, but if you're someone struggling with a troubled marriage, I would encourage you to check out John Gottman instead.
Devin
The content is a little heavy. I felt like I was in a therapy session (which makes sense because the author is a psychiatrist). I did enjoy this book though because it helped me to better understand what our brain is doing when trying to resolve conflicts in a relationship. He also offers several suggestions on how to overcome those conflicts and misunderstandings. He provides several case studies to back up his suggestions.
Isabelle Bishop
I truely believe that if I had not read this book, my marraige would have failed. I broke the cycle of disfunctional living by following the advice in this book and others. I highly recommend it for anyone about to get married.
Michael Adamson
Jun 30, 2008 Michael Adamson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Michael by: Self
A very important book. I recommend this book to may of the couiples I do marriage and relational therapy with. This offers several great steps and solutions in a very positve and uplifting manner.
Nonakasparov
Jul 23, 2008 Nonakasparov is currently reading it
Shelves: selfhelp
Despite the rather corny title, I hold out some hope that the author may have some feasible tips for communication. This is basically about overcoming problems faced by many (most?) couples.
Rachele Ludvigson
Apr 03, 2008 Rachele Ludvigson is currently reading it
I really like self-help books. This book is great in helping to overcome marriages little problems which we all have. It is helping me to see what I can do to become a better communicator.
Cesar Bianchi
This book is amazing,it is a psychological book that tells the truth about relationship and helps you sort out why your relationship has problems.. awesome book...
Fredrick Danysh
A relationship manual for couples. It addresses many of the common problems in relationships and offers suggestions for improvement of those relationships.
Michelle
good book for couples having problems - gets a little technical at times but if you skip the chapters that don't apply it can be helpful
Bruce
Lots of sound advice focused around issues of psychology, not spirituality.
Angie
Older book with a lot of great information ;-)
Rolandas Razma
Gets bit technical sometimes, but good book
Mshl
Wish I had read this a long time ago.
Nathaniel Smith
Great couples resource.
Erik09
teaching book
Alyssa Haverfield
Alyssa Haverfield marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Camila Muñóz
Camila Muñóz marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Nemanja
Nemanja marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Kaetlyn Schmelzer
Kaetlyn Schmelzer marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • After the Affair: Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust When a Partner Has Been Unfaithful
  • Passionate Marriage: Keeping Love and Intimacy Alive in Committed Relationships
  • What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement
  • Fighting for Your Marriage: Positive Steps for Preventing Divorce and Preserving a Lasting Love
  • Falling in Love: Why We Choose the Lovers We Choose
  • How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It: Finding Love Beyond Words
  • We: Understanding the Psychology of Romantic Love
  • Communication Miracles for Couples: Easy and Effective Tools to Create More Love and Less Conflict
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • Couple Skills: Making Your Relationship Work
  • The Meaning of Anxiety
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Relationship Rescue: A Seven-Step Strategy for Reconnecting with Your Partner
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • What Makes Love Last?: How to Build Trust and Avoid Betrayal
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • The Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now
Cognitive Therapy of Depression Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders Anxiety Disorders and Phobias: A Cognitive Perspective Prisoners of Hate: The Cognitive Basis of Anger, Hostility, and Violence Cognitive Therapy of Personality Disorders

“When married people develop such an intense but inappropriate fixation to somebody other than their mate, they may be driven to jeopardize or even destroy a reasonable marital relationship. In the heat of passion, they seem incapable of attaching any real weight to the potentially disastrous consequences of their infatuation—the possible breakup of their marriage. They cannot “turn off” their infatuation even if they want to! Yet, when enough time has elapsed without their seeing “the other woman (or man),” they generally find that their infatuation dies down.” 0 likes